Brewers split tough series against top-ranked teams

Men’s Baseball

This past weekend, the men’s baseball team split both doubleheaders against University of Rochester. The first game on Saturday was a 2-0 loss and Vassar was unable to make much headway in the game. Apart from three doubles from junior designated hitter Brett Zaziski, junior Dave Robbins and senior Mike Perrone, the Brewers did not match Rochester’s scoring plays in the fourth inning.

Later that night, the team came back to defeat Rochester 3-2 in a nine-inning game. Scoring began in the seventh inning when freshman Nick Johnson hit a double to bring in Perrone and senior catcher A.J. Kim. Rochester answered back in the eighth inning with two runs of their own to tie up the game. Zaziski’s single in the top of the ninth brought in Perrone to end the day. A major asset to the Brewers was the solid pitching of freshman Jonathan Hong, who pitched seven inning and allowed only four hits.

Senior pitcher Zander Mrlik was named Liberty League Pitcher of the Week as a result of his performance against Rochester. He gave up only one hit in the seven innings he pitched and maintains a 2-0 record on the mound. The next baseball game will be a home match against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Saturday at 1 pm.

Men’s Volleyball

Last Friday and Saturday marked the Vassar Invitational for men’s volleyball. The Brewers went 2-2 for the weekend, defeating NYU Poly and losing to Nazareth College. Saturday’s game was a strong showing for the men, who won their game against Lancaster Bible College in three sets. Four teammates led the team with six kills, and junior outside hitter Joe Pyne made nine digs, and sophomore Colin White-Dzuro had 18 assists.

The next game against sixth ranked New Paltz was a harder match that resulted in a three match loss 25-17, 25-23, 25-19. Senior middle hitter Patrick Donohue had a team-high seven kills, and fellow senior outside hitter Charlie Caldwell was chosen for the All-Tournament Team. This weekend leaves Vassar 19-10 in the season, and the team will have two matches left before UVC Championships.

Women’s Tennis

Vassar’s female tennis suffered a 0-9 loss on March 30 against the extremely experienced and 20 nationally ranked team from Skidmore College. Freshmen Winifred Yeates and Lauren Stauffer lost in a very close match against Skidmore’s doubles pair of Melissa Hirsch and Yumi Karlshoej, 9-8(4).The No. 2 doubles team also had close individual singles matches. Yeates went the distance in singles against Hirsch, losing 6-2, 2-6, 10-5  while Stauffer lost against Robyn Baird. Baird won the tiebreaker, 10-7. Freshman Kelsey Van Noy had, 6-4, 6-4 loss match against Skidmore’s Caroline Hobbs. During a singles exhibition match, Sophmore Anisha Kurien lost in a tight double setter tie breaker, losing to Skidmore’s Rachel Plevinsky 2-6, 6-2, 10-6. The Brewers fall to 5-3 for the season and will next host Union College on Wednesday, April 3 at 4:00 pm.

Men’s Lacrosse

The Vassar College men’s lacrosse team were unable to defeat host Skidmore College and lost 14-4 on Saturday afternoon. Junior attacker Max Herman and freshman attacker Noah Parson each had a goal and an assist during the match, while sophomore midfielder Scott Brekne led both teams recovering seven ground balls. Vassar falls to 3-6 in the season and 0-2 in the League with the loss. The Brewers will next host St. Lawrence University on Saturday, April 6 at 1:00 pm during Vassar’s first NCAA Student Athlete Day, in which many teams will compete at home while Vassar students who attend will receive school-spirit attire. It also marks the halfway point in their Liberty League schedule for the season.