Winter meets spring, Brewers keep doing their thing

It was a rough weekend for senior Stephanie Zhu and the women’s squash team. They fell against Tufts 2-7 this past weekend. They didn’t fare better against Wesleyan, losing 9-0 against the Cardinals. Photo courtesy of Vassar Athletics

Women’s Basketball

Vassar’s women’s squad went up against the same competition as the men’s, facing Union and Skidmore on Friday and Saturday respec­tively. While the matchups were the same, the women’s team was able to break even in terms of results, besting Union by a score of 66-54, led by Sophomore forward Ariella Rosenthal’s team-best 25 points. The Brewers suffered a tough, one-possession loss to Skidmore Col­lege Saturday night 69-72. A definitive bright spot in the contest was the performance of Freshman guard Nicole Teta; she was incredi­bly effective and efficient from the floor, shoot­ing 8-12 and 6-8 from behind the three-point line, finishing with 22 points, as well as tallying three steals. The Brewer women will also close out their season with matchups against Bard and RPI.

Men’s Squash

Vassar squash faced stiff competition this past week, taking the court against a pair of strong teams in Middletown, Connecticut on Saturday. First on the docket was the #28 team in the country Tufts University, against whom the men’s squash team dropped a 0-9 decision. Despite the scoreline, several matchups were tightly contested. Senior Tim Boycott grinded throughout, as he kept each game more com­petitive than the last in a 6-11, 8-11, 10-12 loss. Junior Richard Bryenton went the distance and came closest to claiming a point for VCMSQ, succumbing in an up-and-down contest 7-11, 14- 12, 6-11, 11-8, 7-11. The Brewers next faced Wes­leyan, a task that would prove no less demand­ing. The 19th nationally-ranked Cardinal men came out on top by a score of 9-0. Men’s squash will travel to New Haven, CT next weekend to compete in the Collegiate Squash Association Championships, hosted by Yale University.

Women’s Squash

The women’s squash team also made the journey to Middletown this past weekend to face off against the same pair of opponents. Against Tufts, though eventually falling 2-7, the Brewer women’s side was competitive up and down the lineup. Sophomore Hannah Nice secured a win in three at the #1 singles posi­tion, while Freshman Fiona Agger survived a marathon, needing all five games to see her opponent off 11-7 in the decider to give Vassar a win at #2 singles. In the next matchup, it was Wesleyan’s day, as the Cardinals recorded a 9-0 victory, though Agger managed to force her opponent to four games. The women’s squash team will join the men on their trip to the CSA championships at Yale next weekend.

Men’s Volleyball

This week saw Vassar men’s volleyball, cur­rently ranked ninth in the nation in Division III, take on the #6 team in the country and UVC rival Stevens Institute of Technology, at home. The Ducks took the first two sets in compet­itive fashion, 25-23 and 26-24; the Brewers came back to win the third set 25-18 and force a fourth. Stevens ultimately came out on top, winning the fourth set 25-22 and the match. By the numbers, Vassar came out on top in several statistical categories, leading Stevens in total aces 8 to 3, in digs 66 to 55, and in kills 49 to 47. Two of the standout performers for the Brew­ers were Senior Reno Kriz, who contributed 20 kills, 2 aces, and 10 digs; Sophomore Setter Zechariah Lee accounted for 37 assists, 19 digs, and 2 aces of his own. The men’s volleyball team will next take the court against The Col­lege of Mount Saint Vincent Tuesday February 16th in Riverdale, NY.

Men’s Tennis

The Vassar men started their season without missing a beat, cruising to a season-opening 9-0 win over Clark University this past Satur­day. The Brewers swept the doubles portion of Saturday’s dual match, with each match fin­ishing 8-2 in favor of the home side. The dual match’s one-sided nature continued in singles competition as well. Juniors Nick Litsky and Juan Felipe Laso both finished their matches without the loss of a game at 1 and 4 singles respectively; Freshman Nick Lee toughed his way out of a tight first 7-5 and then cruised to comfortable 6-1 second set. Senior Sha Huang played rock-steady for the duration of his win #6 singles. Men’s tennis takes the court again this Saturday against bitter Liberty League rival Skidmore at the AFC.

Men’s Fencing

Vassar fencing had one of its biggest days in recent memory on February 10th. Although the squad suffered a 7-20 defeat at the hands of NYU, they immediately rebounded to dis­patch defending the NCAA National Champi­on Columbia Lions, by a score of 14-13. Locked at nine apiece going into the epee portion of the matchup, Vassar came out with five wins, which proved decisive as men’s fencing walked away with a big win and reaching 25 victories on the season, breaking the previous record of 23. Senior Elam Coalson went 3-0 in sabre for the Brewers and sophomore Eli Polston and se­nior Zachary Wilson added two wins each on the day. Fencing moves on to NEIF champion­ships on the 20th.

Women’s Fencing

The women’s squad had a grueling week, competing not only against NYU and Colum­bia on the 10th, but also in the EWFC Cham­pionships on the 14th. They fell 11-16 to NYU and 5-22 at the hands of Columbia. The team re­bounded though, taking out CCNY and Hunter College by identical 21-6 scores, while easing past Yeshiva University 25-2. The next three matchups proved more trying, as the Brewers fell to Johns Hopkins 9-18, Haverford 13-14, and Stevens 7-20. Sophomores Kirsten Denman and Annie Innes-Gold were impressive throughout. Both won their respective weapon titles on the day. Women’s fencing will travel to their own NEIF Championships in Wellesley, MA on the 20th.