Bradley to be Vassar’s 11th President

Courtesy of Vassar College

After an eight-month national search for Vassar’s next president, the College has named Elizabeth Howe Bradley as Catharine Bond Hill’s successor. Bradley, chosen from a pool of over 200 candidates, remarked that she is thrilled to be Vassar’s 11th president.

While President, Bradley will also serve as Professor of Political Science and Professor of Science, Technology, and Society. Her husband, Associate Head of Branford College at Yale University John Bradley, will make the move to Vassar as well, assuming the position of Executive Director of the Vassar College Urban Education Initiative. In a statement she said, “With its strong intellectual foundation and its legacy of making a difference through action, Vassar serves as a model of high-quality, accessible, and innovative higher education.”

Bradley comes to Vassar from Yale University. Currently, she is the Head of Branford College, one of Yale’s largest residential colleges, where she has worked on issues pertaining to student life and fostering intellectual community on campus. This position has allowed her to be involved in community-building projects and student-run initiatives within a residential campus. Bradley has also led the Yale African Women’s Forum for Strategic Impact, which focuses on increasing the influence and effectiveness of African women leaders, and helping more women attain leadership positions. In 2009, the incoming president founded the Global Health Leadership Institute, where she currently serves as Faculty Director.

For the past year, Bradley has also served as the Director of the Brady-Johnson Program in Grand Strategy at Yale University. The program tackles a variety of issues, from economic inequality to climate change to global health, and focuses on training emerging leaders from a diverse range of Yale undergraduate areas of study.

In addition to her work at Yale, Bradley has led several projects aimed at improving healthcare in Ethiopia, Rwanda, Liberia, South Africa, India and the United Kingdom, as well as in the U.S. She has received grants from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Clinton Foundation and the National Institutes of Health, which have led to innovations in global health systems.

“Working with students here in the U.S. and globally, I have seen how access to higher education changes lives, and it makes me even more committed to making certain we maintain Vassar as a diverse and inclusive community,” Bradley said in a statement, “I look forward to being part of the continued progress of this remarkable institution.”

On July 1, 2017 Bradley’s post at Vassar will officially begin.

Stay tuned for a longer interview by the Miscellany News with Incoming President Bradley in the next couple of weeks.