Now sushi me, now you donut; try this trend while it lasts!

Couresty of sobeautifullyraw

It all started with the cronut. The year was 2015 when big time baker, Dominque Ansel cross-bred a croissant with a donut and ultimately turned this innovative pastry into a phenomenon.

As the cronut craze crossed all culinary borders, many argue that Ansel’s creation can be considered a turning point and catalyst for new-wave food trends.

Later, devoted foodies swapped sweet for savory when they were introduced to another dynamic duo known as the ramen burger. The stars of Brooklyn’s Smorgasburg struck gold when they decided to transform the classic ramen bowl into a ramen burger and find a way to integrate cultures and cravings in more ways than one.

Following the ramen burger came the infamous “sushiritto,” which instantly knocked the basic burrito out of the park. Tortilla wraps were out and rice rolls were in—or so we thought…

Today, the latest craze and competitor which stems from culinary blogger Sam Murphy (known online as So Beautifully Raw) has caught our attention with the latest invention: the sushi donut.

Murphy claims to have conceived of the idea while celebrating National Donut Day. Unlike some recent predecessors in food mash-ups— such as ramen pot pie, chocolate eclair hot dog, nacho lasagna, donut burger and cheese burger and chicken strip crust pizza, to name a few—critics are actually raving over this odd combination.

Before jumping to assumptions, let me start off by stating that the sushi donut is only sweet in its creativity and no, it does not combine sashimi and sugar. While less clever food bloggers or food chains may have tried to merge the two, creating a Frankenstein’s monster in the kitchen, Sam Murphy knocked the recipe out of the park with a simple twist on the average roll.

The sushi donut stays true to its name and is exactly what it sounds like: the combination of your favorite pieces of fish–just in the form of a donut.

As opposed to glazing, icing and sprinkling this unique commodity, the sushi donut takes on a different style: it swaps dough for rice, sprinkles for sesame seeds, frosting for ginger, wasabi and avocado and sashimi for its filling.

A peculiar concoction, but try to picture a sushi roll in the shape of a circle which coincidentally, just happens to resemble a donut!

The sushi donut strikes me as a radical remedy for those eager to go straight for dessert. This time, your sweet tooth is supplemented by a substantial meal so you can have your donut and then eat two (because no meal is complete without ending on a sweet note).

Social media is swimming in a surplus of sushi donut photoshoots which may be pleasing to the eye but are an absolute tease to the taste buds.

However, this does not mean we have to wait for Tasty to produce a short clip in order to replicate the recipe, in fact this masterpiece comes with a few simple steps making it easy to replicate for people like Lily Kitfield ’18 who states, “I DONUT WANT TO IMAGINE LIFE WITHOUT A SUSHI DONUT.”

Similar to the process of making classic donuts, the sushi donut calls for a donut mold, accompanied by some coconut oil to avoid stickiness, and sushi rice.

Press the sushi rice into the greased mold and once the standard shape comes to life (by allowing the rice to cool), flip the pan upside down, lift the mold and the rest is up to you!

The basic ingredients include wasabi, ginger, black sesame seeds, avocado and sashimi, but the display all comes down to your creativity. Plus, little can go wrong when the array of fresh ingredients stands in as a color palate that both figuratively and literally allow you to “taste the rainbow.”

The protocol to eating this tasty treat is still in the works; some recommend chopsticks while the really brave souls just go on in like any typical donut.

I’d recommend trying one of these trendy treats before the next big thing knocks it down the food chain.

Ingredients:

• Sushi rice
  • Coconut oil

Toppings/Fillers of Choice:

• Tuna, salmon, eel, crab meat, etc.
  • Avocado
  • Ginger
  • Wasabi
  • Seaweed
  • Sesame seeds