Easy cooking for the person who can’t cook that well

Couresty of Wikimedia Commons

As someone who has grown accustomed to the Deece and Retreat life, cooking is not my strongest forte.

Let me give you a brief history of my minimal culinary experience. In high school, I took a class called Creative Cuisine, where we essentially followed recipes and got to eat when class was over. It was the end of the day, so I was always relieved to scarf down a goat cheese quiche or some chocolate chip banana muffins. Still, the only thing I got out of the class was a folder of recipes buried somewhere in my room. This fall, I was in London without a meal plan or a game plan for not starving to death. One can only have so many pre-made meals, so I got bold. I made myself a meal: Grilled Cheese.

It’s also important to note that I’m a vegetarian, which is why I didn’t just fry up a steak or live off chicken in a bucket.

In Britain, they occasionally refer to this delicacy as a cheese toastie. The history of grilled cheese dates back to the 1920s, though the pairing of bread and cheese extends to quesadillas and Welsh rarebit.

The recipe for grilled cheese is pretty simple, but there’s enough room to give your meal a bit of personality. The first step is to buy the ingredients and supplies. You’ll need bread, cheese slices, butter, a pan and access to fire. As a grilled cheese gourmand, I believe that non-stick frying pans produce the best results.

Set the stove towards high. It’s usually marked as “high” or with an ascending bar. Consult your stove’s manual if any confusion occurs.

With the pan on the fire, preferably via a stove, drop the butter onto the pan and let it simmer. It is ideal to spread it with a spatula, but if one isn’t readily available, you can simply tilt the pan to let the butter slide around.

After the butter’s melted, put one slice of bread onto the pan. Make sure to use the spatula so the bread doesn’t stick to the saucer.

It is essential to make grilled cheese with a guiding image of what you’d like the end result to be. Some qualities to decide include how golden you’d like the bread or how melted the cheese should be.

When the first slice of bread is halfway to the shade you’d like it to be, take a few slices of cheese and put them on top of the bread. I’ll leave it to you on how many slices you put. For me, one always feels too flimsy and I never go past three or the cheese won’t melt properly.

Wait a little and put the second piece of bread over the cheese. Try to match that slice with the base bread for a more uniform grilling.

Once the base piece is at the right shade, flip the sandwich over. Be careful when you’re using the spatula that the pieces stay aligned. You might want to flip the bread in a fast motion to create a smooth momentum for the 180 degrees.

With the bread flipped over, press the spatula against the bread. Whether or not it actually does, I’d like to imagine this helps make the cheese gooier.

Let the bread sit until it has achieved the color of your desire. Serve on a plate and prepare for a wonderful meal.

The process for making a grilled cheese should take approximately six minutes.

Now you’re probably thinking that grilled cheese is as plain as white bread, but you’re wrong. There’s all different kinds of breads and cheeses you can use. My personal preference is Swiss and Pepper Jack on Rye bread. It has its own sense of flair that deviates from the norm. You can also add toppings, like bacon for someone with a carnivorous attitude, or lettuce. On rainy days, it’s nice to pair a grilled cheese with some warm tomato soup.

Then again, you can always order a pizza.

• 2 slices of bread
  • 1-4 cheese slices
  • 1 bit of butter