Series fills ‘blindspot’ within repetitive crime genre

There are certainly a large number of shows that centralize their plot on a particular crime. However, “Blindspot” defies the norms of this genre and provides an interesting, fast-paced ride. / Courtesy of zuko1312 via flickr

These days, there seem to be many television shows about the government, the CIA, the FBI or various police forces around the country. It is hard to really find an authentic show that may- be is about these things but also adds something avant-garde. “Blindspot” fits what many, including me, have been searching for. It is about an amnesiac woman who is found naked in a bag in the middle of Times Square. Her body is completely covered in tattoos, and she is sent over to the FBI because a tattoo on her back is that of FBI Assistant Director Kurt Weller. Weller’s team, which includes Tasha Zapata, Edgar Reade and Patter- son—whose first name has not been revealed— have to find out who this mysterious woman is and the significance of the tattoos.

Some people say that the show has a slow start, but I disagree. From the first scene with the woman coming out of the bag, questions are sure to race through one’s mind. The audience wonders why she is in a bag, why she cannot remember anything and who exactly the horrible people are who put her in this situation. We also wonder why she has all these tattoos and what the connection to Kurt Weller is. Throughout the show, cleverly placed clues help the audience slowly arrive at the answer, but not without adding in crazy plot twists that will leave you absolutely shocked.

Our amnesiac is given the name Jane Doe because of the state she is in when she is found, this question of identity-constituting the mystery of the show. The suspense is extremely well crafted and leaves viewers coming back for more each week. “Blindspot’s” episodes are also unique. In each episode, Weller’s team has to solve a tattoo, which usually leads to them stopping a larger, national crime. Some might call this boring, as every episode is solving a new marking, but this is not the case for me. All the tattoos are connected to each other, which makes the show exciting and fast-paced. Each episode also makes sure to simultaneously touch on all the individual problems of each character and the problems with the outside world.

Another thing the show does really well is delve into the relationships the characters have with each other. The five main characters in “Blindspot” are all different but form a tight-knit team. It is a pleasure to watch them each week. My favorite relationship is definitely between Weller and Jane Doe. They have a rocky start with each other because Weller cannot trust Jane completely and hesitates to add her on his team, even though she has amazing skills. But the chemistry between them is interesting to watch and makes the show digress from the main plot. They end up becoming romantically involved, but their relationship is tested a number of times, especially in Season Two and now in Season Three. We also get insight into Jane’s relationship with her brother, Roman, and her mom, Shepherd. This kinship is also notable because it is both twisted and fascinating and gives us more insight to Jane’s past. By focusing on these different relationships, the show explores the psychological state of all characters.

Besides the compelling narrative, “Blindspot” has a lot of well-shot fight scenes that are great to watch, as they look realistic and show off the Jane Doe’s skills. One thing that has been said about the show is that the actors play the characters well. Jaimie Alexander, who plays Jane Doe, is one prime example of this. Sheis an amazing actress and really brings Jane Doe to life. The same goes for Sullivan Stapleton, who plays Kurt Weller. Stapleton, an Australian actor, emulates a New York accent really well. Both actors contribute to how great the show is. Ashley Johnson, who plays Patterson, is a forensic scientist and is technologically savvy. She is perfect for the role of Patterson, and at times it feels as though she is not acting but rather revealing her normal persona. She is able to act out the emotional roller coasters Patterson goes through in Season Two.

One last thing that makes “Blindspot” worthy of watching is its relevance to our world today. When the team solves a tattoo, it is connected to an issue we experience as a nation. This is important because it gives the audience a new perspective on modern society. The main antagonist is a terrorist organization, in which people are planning and/or carrying out terrorist attacks. It is subtly providing a commentary about our society and especially for a show that utilizes the FBI and CIA.

Season Three has only recently begun, and it is already off to a great start. From the last episode of Season Two to the first episode of Season Three, there is a two-year leap in time. Jane has a new set of intricate, glowing tattoos for the team to decipher. All of the characters have their secrets that are slowly emerging, and it will be interesting to see what comes about. These developments also add to the suspenseful aspect that keeps me coming back to the show.

Also, it is clear that each character has changed and shifted their dynamic within the two-year period. It will be interesting to see the show explore these new character relationships and hopefully learn more about Jane Doe. “Blindspot” is a fresh new take on shows that involve the FBI and CIA. The different concepts make it fascinating to watch. It is the first show to really come up with a new and unique idea that makes sense and captures viewers every week, and it serves as a great parallel to the tumultuous events engrossing our daily lives.