VSA Updates

At the VSA Senate meeting on Oct. 7, President Elizabeth Bradley and Dean of Strategic Planning Marianne Begemann hosted a forum on the College's five-year plan. Charlotte Varcoe-Wolfson/The Miscellany News.

Consensus Agenda – Passed

Finance allocations

• $1,135/$1,135 to VCTV from Capital Fund

– Equipment to enhance shoots (tripod, cables, clips, etc.), with expectation of collaboration in future

• $19.57/$19.57 to the Middle Easternand North African Students Alliance (MENASA) from Discretionary Fund

– Food for a GB meeting

• $1,530/$1,530 to VSA Programming from Discretionary Fund
    – Keep the Saturday shuttle running during fall break and Thanksgiving break

Forum with President Bradley and Dean Begemann

President Bradley and Dean Begemann attended the last Senate meeting to discuss the Priorities and Planning Committee’s present review and five-year plan for the College. Begemann stated, “When I think about a vision, I think about something aspirational and inspiration. Even if it’s impossible, you have a point out there that you’re hoping to reach. Hopefully this vision will inspire us on a day-to-day basis.” This is the very beginning of a longer process that will seek input from all members of the campus community.

Committee Chair Updates Chair of VSA Planning

The Planning Committee is looking into ways to increase the transparency of the VSA to the student body and to encourage more students to get involved. The Campus Master Planning Committee (a joint committee with the Board of Trustees) recently met and discussed its plans for the year.

Chair of Programming

The Programming Committee has confirmed plans for a bus to New Paltz and a movie night event to be held during October break.

Executive Board Updates

Chair of Academics

On Oct. 28, the Academics Committee will be holding a forum to discuss the upcoming curricular changes.

Chair of Residential Affairs

The first meeting of the Dining Committee, which is concerned with all on-campus dining options, will be held on Wednesday, Oct. 10, from noon until 1 p.m. on the second floor of the Deece.

Chair of Equity and Inclusion

Chair of Equity and Inclusion Eloudia Odamy ’21 met with Associate Dean of the College for Student Growth and Engagement Wendy Maragh Taylor of the ALANA Center and others to discuss the first-year experience. Odamy will be meeting with the Engaged Pluralism Initiative (EPI) working group, the Bias Incident Response Team (BIRT) and the Women’s Center this week.

President

President Tamar Ballard ’19 discussed Bon Appétit’s planned replacement of plastic straws with paper straws with Dean of the College Carlos Alamo-Pastrana, who said he would continue to look into more durable options with Campus Dining.

The Dean of the College search committee met for the first time to discuss its process and committee operations.

The Priorities and Planning Committee met, discussing their objectives and the relationship between the Committee and the EPI.