Sports roundup: checking in with VC teams as break nears

The end of the semester is just about here. Prepare to bid adieu to your professors, your dorm and the Deece. Prepare to greet your dog and your dad, your family’s boring holiday traditions and the existential swamp into which the weeks and weeks of time at home inevitably push you. Not me. Definitely not me. Anyway…

As the semester wraps up, here’s a look at how things stand for the in-season Vassar teams:

Women’s Basketball

Head Coach Candace Brown’s squad sits at 4-2 overall, 1-1 in the Liberty League. After a tough loss to Ithaca in their conference opener on Friday, Nov. 30, the Brewers rebounded with a big 80-75 win over league rival William Smith this past weekend. Junior Sophie Nick has led the team in scoring with 16.0 points per game, while junior Isa Peczuh has averaged 15.2 points, and junior Jackie Cenan has added 13.8. Peczuh has done most of her damage from deep, averaging three 3-pointers a game at a 44 percent clip. Nick has also dominated the glass, averaging 10 rebounds per game.

Men’s Basketball

At 3-3 on the season, the men’s basketball team is still looking for some consistency in Head Coach Ryan Mee’s first year at the helm. On a roster with significant turnover, returners have led the Brewers so far. Senior big man Paul Grinde has put up the biggest stats so far, with 14.8 points and 8.2 rebounds per game. Sophomore big Zach Bromfeld is second on the team in scoring, with 14.5 points per game (on a super efficient 79.5 percent shooting), while senior point guard Alex Seff is averaging 13.2 and sophomore shooting guard Hugh Durham is tacking on 11.3. After an important win over fellow Liberty League school Hobart, in which Seff scored 24 points and went 5-8 from deep, the Brewers will travel to Susquehana on Saturday, Dec. 8.

Men’s Fencing

Even after two tournaments—the Drew Tournament and the Sacred Heart Traditional Multi Meet—in which they competed against mostly Division I sides, the men’s fencing team still sits at 16-11. (The Brewers began the season 13-2.) Vassar returns to action on Jan. 20 when they host the January Invitational in the Walker Fieldhouse.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

The women’s swimming and diving team heads into winter break with a 4-1 record and a third-place finish last weekend in the RIT Invitational. First-year Jesse Ecklund has stood out for the Brewers so far, already earning four Liberty League weekly awards, including three Rookie of the Week awards. In the RIT Invitational, Ecklund won the 500 freestyle and the 200 backstroke, placed second in the 100 backstroke and placed third in the 200 free. Sophomore Brynn Lautenbacher also had an impressive weekend at RIT, winning the 100 butterfly and 200 butterfly. They will next take the pool Jan. 12 in a trimeet at Mount Holyoke.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

The men’s team boasts a 3-2 record in dual meets and took third at the RIT Invitational. Like the women’s team, the men’s team has been paced by underclassmen, particularly sophomore Max White, who continues to set records for the Brewers. At the RIT meet he set a pool record in the 500 freestyle, won the 200 freestyle and took second in the 100 and 200 backstroke. First-year Jake Mier rode three second-place finishes at the RIT Invitational to his second Liberty League Rookie of the Week award.

Women’s Squash

The women’s squash team won’t play again until Jan. 19. They go into break with a 7-6 record. In their last tournament, the Vassar Round Robin on Dec. 1 and 2, the Brewers split their four matches. Hard-fought 5-4 losses to Boston College and Haverford on Saturday were soon forgotten with Vassar’s Sunday performances: a 9-0 win over Denison and a 8-1 win over Colgate. Senior Julia Pollak won all four of her matches from the third position at the Vassar Round Robin, earning her second Liberty League Performer of the Week award in the process. The senior has won her last seven matches.