Police confess perpetrators in egg attacks still at large

Courtesy of 16:9clue via Flickr

More than 100 stealth egg attacks baffle Vassar students and police. Poughkeepsie, New York—A 19-year-old anonymous Vassar student’s room in Main has become the target of mysterious egging attacks that began in March 2019 and have persisted for months without end. The continuous onslaught of eggs has baffled police, neighbors and local government officials who have tried and failed to identify the source of the attacks that have ruined a Vassar student’s room. “The accuracy is phenomenal,” the student said. “Almost every time when it’s nice weather, they launch five or six of these at a time and almost invariably hit the front door.”

The room is pelted with eggs several times a week—sometimes more than once a day—for the past month. The attacks always happen after dark and last around 10 minutes each. The student and police believe the eggs are being launched from a block or two away. The siding on the front of the student’s room is destroyed, splattered with dried egg residue that has stripped off the paint. Other than a few rogue eggs that hit nearby rooms, no other neighbors have been targeted. “Somebody is deeply, deeply angry at somebody in that household for some reason,” the chief of police explained.

Both the student and police anticipate the attacks becoming more frequent as the weather warms. Because the egg incidents are an unsolved mystery, the Poughkeepsie officers have not taken the investigation lightly. They have spent months doing undercover stakeouts, canvassing the neighborhood and even sending eggshells for testing. The department’s entire community policing unit was dedicated to tracking down the eggers at one point. Officers respond quickly to every egging call at the student’s room, which is located less than a mile from the police station. All members of the Poughkeepsie police are at a dead end when it comes to suspects.

Investigators have taken several approaches to nabbing the eggers, including installing a surveillance camera outside of the student’s room. When this technique proved futile, the eggs were traced back to a local farm where the trail went cold. With the limited information available, the police resolved that the culprits either have access to a large supply of eggs or are stealing them from businesses that throw them out when they go bad. Detectives have followed this thread, visiting local restaurants and businesses to ask about missing eggs. While canvassing, they have also attempted to collect fingerprints from eggshells, but the police have concluded that it may be an impossible task. When an egg breaks, it breaks.

Officers have gone door-to-door questioning neighbors and handing out fliers. Nobody has come forward with any tips. “The person or people who are doing it have remained very tight-lipped,” the chief of police said. “It is strange, I would imagine it would be hard to keep a secret about a nefarious act of this caliber.” The guilty parties don’t appear to be intimidated by police interest in the case. An officer last year was taking a report when a barrage of eggs was launched at the house. One hit him in the foot. The chief said he has never seen this level of vandalism in his 20 years of police work. It has frustrated the whole department, which has dedicated hundreds of hours toward solving the egging mystery. “The man hours put into that investigation are huge, and it is one of the reasons it’s so frustrating that we don’t have somebody right now that we can criminally charge,” he stated.

The culprits will face charges of felony vandalism and criminal damaging. As the search continues, the student is waiting until the perpetrators are caught before they repair the tarnished siding. They stated that they used to clean up after each attack, but the attacks became so frequent that it couldn’t be kept up. Police initially offered a $500 reward for information, but increased it to $1,000 after nobody came forward. That money is still up for grabs. “We’re not going to let it go,” the chief of police said. “We’ll continue to put effort into it until we figure something out.” Despite all the torment, the student said he’d never consider moving from his beloved home. “I like Main. I would live and die in this house—but it’s been kind of a nightmare.”