Senior Retrospectives: Charlotte Varcoe-Wolfson

When I was growing up, my family had a book that listed many miscellaneous things, and then stated, “But the important thing about worms is that they wiggle.” As I think back on the communities, places and activities that have shaped my time at Vassar, the following important things stand out.

The important thing about Lathrop is that it was my first home away from home. It has cozy wood floors and not-too-small doubles. It’s only a two-minute walk from the Deece. The 3-south fellow group was enthusiastic and always entertaining.

But the important thing about Lathrop is that it was my first home away from home.

The important thing about the Vassar Unitarian Universalists is that I found community. We sing “Come, Come, Whoever You Are” and “Spirit of Life.” Check-in lasts for half of the meeting. We revel in nature walks, RSL Coffee Houses and pre-meeting Deece dinners.

But the important thing about the Vassar Unitarian Universalists is that I found community.

The important thing about Fly by Night is “mayonnaise, meat, cheese and lettuce.” Everyone involved was a family for that spring. We trusted stars and cried every time we rehearsed the end of the show.

But the important thing about Fly by Night is “mayonnaise, meat, cheese and lettuce.”

The important thing about going abroad is that it changes you. Arriving in a new country and a new city is scary, even when you think you know the language. It forces you to make new friends and challenge previously held beliefs.

But the important thing about going abroad is that it changes you.

The important thing about writing a thesis is that it helped me reflect on my schooling. It is fascinating to do research and read Mills, Baltzell and Domhoff. It is painful to write 25,338 words, one by one. Writing in community makes the process a little easier.

But the important thing about writing a thesis is that it helped me reflect on my schooling.

The important thing about TA 54 is that it is my home. Friends run in and out shouting, “Hello?!” Hint of lime chips are hidden in the cabinet for a special occasion. The walls are littered with remnants from a string of themed parties. The home gym functions as a movie theater and yoga studio.

But the important thing about TA 54 is that it is my home.

The important thing about The Miscellany News is that it is Vassar College’s student newspaper of record since 1866. The office is hidden on the third floor of the College Center with one red wall, old couches and precious InDesign software. The staff is incredibly hard-working, intelligent and creative, and comprises some of the most dedicated students on campus.

But the important thing about The Miscellany News is that it is Vassar College’s student newspaper of record since 1866.

The important thing about Vassar is the people I met here. Professors, administrators, colleagues, classmates and friends have shaped my past four years. It is to them that I owe thanks for the difficult but always inspiring and enjoyable experiences at Vassar. Vassar is a beautiful campus. It is a stimulating place to learn.

But the important thing about Vassar is the people I met here.