The Miscellany News, one of the oldest collegiate weeklies in the country, has served as the student newspaper of Vassar College since 1866. Produced by more than 40 student volunteers, The Miscellany News sets Vassar’s standard for in-depth reporting, creative thinking, exemplary writing and journalistic excellence. Student workers distribute the paper every Thursday morning during the academic year, and thousands of Vassar students, faculty members, administrators, staff, alumnae/i and Arlington readers flip through it over their morning coffee to stay up to date with the latest campus goings-on.

Submission Policy: The Miscellany News welcomes opinion pieces and Letter to the Editor submissions from all members of the Vassar community. Due to space considerations, we privilege pieces by students and members of the immediate campus community, including faculty, staff and administration. Pieces by members of the extended campus community (alumnae/i etc.) will be considered. Opinion pieces and Letters to the Editor must be between 600-1250 words, and must be free of any libelous claims, hate speech, personal attacks, baseless or misleading claims, and must be fact-checked. Letters to the Editor should be directed to the Editor or the campus community, and we reserve the right to deny publication or previously published pieces or communications. Opinions and Letters are individual pieces written by a member or members of the Vassar community and do not reflect the views of The Miscellany News. Questions can be directed to misc@vassar.edu

Upper Executive Board

Maryam Bacchus

Maryam Bacchus

Editor-in-Chief

Maryam Bacchus ’25 (she/her) is a Computer Science major from Long Island, NY. Outside of the Misc, she enjoys representing Vassar as a tour guide and Davison House as a House Fellow Intern. In her free time, she loves reading memoirs, fixing puzzles and hanging out at her favorite spot on campus, the admissions house porch. Please feel free to reach out and connect!

Charlotte Robertson

Charlotte Robertson

Managing Editor

Charlotte Robertson ’25 (she/her) is an English major from New York. In addition to the Misc, she is an editor for the Vassar Critical Journal. She likes cooking, pottery, Joni Mitchell and short stories.

Sufana Noorwez

Sufana Noorwez

Senior Editor

Sufana Noorwez ’24 (she/her) is a Biochemistry major and Religion correlate from Shrewsbury, MA. Outside of the Misc, she conducts biochemistry research, plays golf for Vassar’s women’s golf team and whistles in Aircappella. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, crocheting, baking and taking long walks.

Sashinka Poor

Sashinka Poor

Senior Editor

Sashinka Poor ’24 (she/her) is an International Studies and Computer Science double major from Palo Alto, California. When not editing the Misc (and being thoroughly impressed by its writers), she can be found in the lab working on projects or in the library browsing the shelves for old, pretty books. Her hobbies include reading, swimming, traveling and petting cats.

Sandro Lorenzo

Sandro Lorenzo

Contributing Editor

Sandro Lorenzo (he/him) ’24 is a Media Studies major with a correlate in Film from the Philippines. When he is not creating designs for the Misc, he is exploring every other art form, from stage to screen. His mind is dominated either by the pop cultural moment of the day or the colors red, blue and yellow.

Monika Sweeney

Monika Sweeney

Contributing Editor

Monika Sweeney ’24 (she/her) is an Earth Science major with an Education Studies correlate from New York. When she’s not busy with the Misc, she can be seen hammocking by Sunset Lake, eating cups of raspberry sorbet at the Deece or trying to pet stray cats in Poughkeepsie.

William Sorge

William Sorge

Contributing Editor

Will Sorge ’24 is a Political Science major and Economics correlate from Edison, New Jersey. When he’s not working with the Misc, he can be found singing with the Disney-themed a cappella group Beauty and the Beats. Some of Will’s hobbies include music, podcasts, reading, travel and fitness, in addition to uncovering hidden treasures in the library.

Editorial Board

Clara Alger

Clara Alger

News Editor

Clara Alger ’26 (she/her) is a History major and Dance Performance correlate from Doylestown, PA. She can usually be found dancing with VRDT in Kenyon, making playlists in her Jewett dorm room, or racing her friends for wordle in the deece. She also works in the Writing Center on campus.

Makenna Monaghan

Makenna Monaghan

News Editor

Makenna Monaghan ’25 (she/her) is a Media Studies major with a focus in Art History and Political Media and a Women’s Studies correlate from Brunswick, ME. Outside of the Misc, she works at the Loeb Art Center as a collections intern. In her free time, she enjoys watching reality TV, reading, spending time outdoors, and crocheting.

Allen Hale

Allen Hale

Arts Editor

Allen Hale ’25 (he/him) is a Philosophy major and Music correlate from Scituate, MA. When he is not writing for the Misc, Allen can be found performing in the jazz ensemble and playing frisbee with the Swinging Monks. In his free time, Allen enjoys learning the electric bass, listening to new albums and reading anything he can get his hands on.

Jesse Koblin

Jesse Koblin

Arts Editor

Jesse Koblin ’25 (he/him) is an Educational Studies and Sociology double major from Bronx, NY. When he is not writing for the Misc, Jesse is probably playing quadball with the Butterbeer Broooers, hosting his WVKR radio show “Disjunctive Daydreams,” and going down Wikipedia rabbit holes. Besides all of the above, Jesse loves watching old and new movies, listening to prog-rock and reading sci-fi and fantasy paperbacks.

Carina Cole

Carina Cole

Features Editor

Carina Cole ’26 (she/her) is a prospective Media Studies Major with a correlate in Creative Writing from Boiling Springs, PA. She is an avid flash fiction writer and occasional poet. When she’s not writing, you can find her meticulously curating playlists, attempting to cartwheel or having a giggle.

Lev Winickoff

Lev Winickoff

Opinions Editor

Lev Winickoff ’25 is an English minor with correlates in Studio Art and Sociology. They are from Brookline, MA. They love to hike in their free time and they work in the White Mountains doing conservation work when they aren’t at school. In their free time, they enjoy beatboxing for Homebrewed, playing soccer and rugby, writing, making and listening to electronic music, and engaging in horseplay.

Nicholas Tillinghast

Nicholas Tillinghast

Humor Editor

Nick Tillinghast ’25 is a film major from the Buffalo, NY area. In his free time, Nick frequently practices on the BIG organ or is seen roaming around on the Grounds Golf Carts. He is also frequently seen standing up and doing comedy with the stand-up comedy group, Comedy Normative. He likes going to the dentist, but only when he is called upon to do so.

Nick Villamil

Nick Villamil

Sports Editor

Nick Villamil ’25 (he/him) is an English and International Studies major from South Florida. Outside of writing, Nick loves volleyball, trying to convince his friends to spend money on sporting events, a good story and a well-made burger.

Molly Delahunty

Molly Delahunty

Design Editor

Molly Delahunty ’26 (she/her) is a Philosophy major from Newton, Massachusetts. In her free time, she does really cool, awesome things like making pottery, playing the New York Times games, thrifting, and adhering to the 5-second rule. She loves finding random things to tape to her wall, eating butternut squash bisque, and chatting with her friends.

Igor Martiniouk

Igor Martiniouk

Photography Editor

Привіт! Це Ігор. (Hello! This is Igor.) He is a Ukrainian-American from Queens, but was also very present in the Ukrainian Village growing up. Igor also loves traveling and taking photos. Whenever he travels, he is sure to bring his Nikon with him to snap some photos. Слава Україні!

Julia Weinberg

Julia Weinberg

Copy Editor

Julia Weinberg ’26 (she/her) is an English and Film double major from Berkeley, CA. When not searching for ways to eliminate comma splices, Julia can be found doing yoga, avoiding “Survivor” spoilers and playing tag with her friends. She also likes when the Deece serves hearty soups.

Karen Mogami

Karen Mogami

Graphics Editor

Karen Mogami (she/her) ’24 is a Media Studies major with an Asian Studies correlate from Queens, NY. Outside of the Misc, she can be found working on graphic design, collecting zines, reading novels, and drawing.

Sadie Keesbury

Sadie Keesbury

Games Editor

Sadie Carey-Keesbury is a sophomore from Boston Mass. She’s an Art History major with a correlate in Greek and Roman Studies (and god, we can tell by those crossword clues). In the picture above, she’s imitating her memoji. Her memoji looks just like her! She loves math. She loves Vassar volleyball games. She loves telling stories and laughing and talking on the phone. She loves baseball (go Sox!). She loves ceramics. And, she loves games. She REALLY loves games!!

Contributors

Allison Lowe

Allison Lowe

Assistant News Editor

Alli Lowe ’26 is an English and Film double major from Walnut Creek, CA. Outside of the Misc, she is on Jewett House Team and edits poetry for the Vassar Review. She loves reading, writing, hiking, and spending time with her friends.

Luke Jenkins

Luke Jenkins

Assistant Features Editor

Luke Jenkins ’26 (he/him) is a Computer Science major with an English correlate from Kent, OH. He enjoys writing about whatever recently and randomly sparked his interest. Outside of the Misc, he can be found playing intramurals, being scared of campus geese or sleeping on the quad. His other interests include watching “Bob’s Burgers,” wearing shorts and listening to Natasha Bedingfield’s “Unwritten.”

Emma Lawrence

Emma Lawrence

Assistant Arts Editor

Emma Lawrence ’25 (she/her) is an English and Drama double major hailing from Naples, Florida. Outside of the Misc, she loves performing on stage, decoding Taylor Swift theories, and reading Jane Austen novels over and over again.

Caris Lee

Caris Lee

Assistant Sports Editor

Caris Lee ’25 (she/her) is a Philosophy major and Creative Writing correlate from San Marino, CA. She enjoys reading anything by the Brontë sisters and listening to the Indigo Girls. While not researching sports jargon, she can be found scrolling through pictures of her dog or wearing a turtleneck.

Anabel Lee

Anabel Lee

Assistant Copy Editor

Anabel Lee ’26 (she/her) is a Political Science major from Seattle, WA. In her free time, she enjoys going on nature walks around campus, re-watching her favorite sitcoms, and journaling.

Olivia Kahn

Olivia Kahn

Social Media Manager

Olivia Kahn ’26 (she/her) is a Math major from Manhattan, NY. Outside of the Misc, she enjoys drinking too much coffee, listening to music, and playing the New York Times games. You might find her at the Deece waiting for the gluten-free toaster, or attempting to rollerblade around campus.

Richard Lu

Richard Lu

Social Media Manager

Richard Lu ’26 is an Economics and Media Studies double major from Queens, NY. He loves trying out new foods, taking pictures of anything that catch his eye, browsing through cute animal photos, and watching movies with friends! He is particularly fond of animated films and reality tv. When not writing for the Misc, you can find him at the Poughkeepsie Galleria, chilling on Joss Beach or in his room sleeping.

Kai Chang

Kai Chang

Webmaster

Kai Chang ’25 (he/him) is a Computer Science major from San Francisco, California. Outside of the Misc, he runs for the cross country and track and field teams and works as a coach for the computer science department.

Michael Yang

Michael Yang

Webmaster

Michael Yang ’24 is a Computer Science major from the cornfields of Ohio. He is an avid gamer who, while not playing or solving bugs, can be found tinkering with game and software development.

Catherine Borthwick

Catherine Borthwick

Live Events Chair

Catherine Borthwick ’24 is a Philosophy major and Studio Art correlate from NYC. Her favorite journalistic publications (besides the Misc, of course) are The New York Times and The Atlantic. She plays bass for the on-campus band Ufology, hosts “Beetle Beats” on WVKR, and always loves a good run on the farm.