The Miscellany News, one of the oldest collegiate weeklies in the country, has been the student newspaper of Vassar College since 1866. Produced by over 40 student volunteers, The Miscellany News sets Vassar’s standard for reporting, creative thinking, exemplary writing and journalistic excellence. The paper is distributed every Wednesday evening during the academic year, and thousands of our students, faculty members, administrators, staff, alumnae/i and Arlington readers flip through it over their morning coffee to stay up to date.

Although our staff already boasts over 40 reporters, columnists, photographers, multimedia correspondents, designers and editors, we welcome contributions from all members of the College community. Visit us in Main Building every Sunday night at 9 p.m. in the Rose Parlor for Paper Critique, or contact the Editor-in-Chief at [email protected] to get involved.

Executive Board

Editor-in-Chief

TALYA PHELPS
[email protected] or [email protected]

Talya Phelps ’19 is a film major with an education correlate. She has been involved with the Misc since the beginning of her first year, serving in various positions, including Design Editor, Senior Editor and now Editor-in-Chief. When not Misc-ing or otherwise being a grammar nerd, she can be found working as a research assistant or spending six consecutive hours in the Deece.

Senior Editor

LEAH CATES
[email protected]

Leah Cates ’20, from Omaha, Nebraska, is a junior who is majoring in women’s studies with a correlate in creative writing, thereby rendering herself unemployable upon graduation. Besides renouncing sleep on Tuesday nights for the Misc, she enjoys serving as co-president of Generations. She also likes to work out, but doesn’t get why you have to drop off your ID card at the AFC to be babysat by that plastic organizer, and wonders why more people don’t wander out ID-less.

Contributing Editors

NOAH PURDY
[email protected]

Noah Purdy ’19 is an art history major with correlates in Ancient Greek and French. He has been honing his eagle eye for Oxford commas since his first year at Vassar, serving on the Misc previously as Arts Editor and Senior Editor. Besides attempting to juggle at least three languages and wandering the Art Library stacks, he is excited to remain a part of The Miscellany News in his senior year.

CHARLOTTE VARCOE-WOLFSON
[email protected]

Charlotte Varcoe-Wolfson ’19 (she/her/hers) is honored to serve as a Contributing Editor, after previously holding the positions of Editor-in-Chief and Design Editor. A sociology major with a Hispanic studies correlate, outside of class Charlotte has been involved in student theater, Vassar Unitarian Universalists, the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life, and, of course, The Miscellany News. She wants to be a calendar when she grows up.

LAILA VOLPE
[email protected]

News

Editor

[email protected]

Features

Editor

ANDREA YANG
[email protected] or [email protected]

Andrea Guang Yang ’19 is an English & French double major from Beijing, China. She joined the Misc staff as a Features reporter during her first semester at Vassar. As an INTJ, she loves to make all her friends do personality quizzes. If you see her walking around campus during the fall, she’s probably looking for a leaf with the perfect color scheme on which to practice calligraphy.

Opinions

Editor

STEVEN PARK
[email protected] or [email protected]

Steven Park ’19 (he/him/his) is a Cognitive Science major with a correlate in Computer Science. As someone who loves both science and writing immensely, he finds himself reading both scientific papers and teen fiction in his free time. When not working on the Misc, he spends his day buried in schoolwork in the library, researching snake locomotion for his senior thesis, and desperately searching for a good YA novel set in high school that doesn’t use tired tropes and cliché characters.

Humor and Satire

Editor

HANNAH GAVEN
[email protected] or [email protected]

Hannah Gaven ’21 is from Bellingham, Washington and she does have academic interests. When she’s not writing horoscopes, she spends her time dancing with Vass Shakers. Her favorite word is haphazard, which is also how she would describe the current state of her room. If you’re ever in need of some psychic advice, you can always find her in the booths at late night deece making chocolate milkshakes.

Arts

Editor

IZZY BRAHAM
[email protected] or [email protected]

Izzy ’20 is a Political Science major from Los gatos, California. She has worked for the the Arts section of the Misc since her first semester at Vassar. She loves to read, watch Parks and Rec, listen to indie music by female musicians, and eat peanut butter. She is always willing to have a long discussion about astrology and/or scientology–two topics she knows little about, but is really fascinated by :)

Sports

Editor

MYLES OLMSTED
[email protected] or [email protected]

Design

Editor

ROSE PARKER
[email protected] or misc.design.edi[email protected]

Rose Parker ’21 is a computer science major from Westfield, New Jersey. Even though she is a varsity athlete, she still makes the time to fix InDesign crashes and buy R2D2 outfits for her dog, Charlie. She considers herself a very busy person, with attending class and religiously feasting at late night Deece. While she seems sweet, she knows how to wield a sword and has a surprisingly dark sense of humor.

Assistant Editor

SCARLETT NEUBERGER
[email protected]

Copy

Editors

JESSICA MOSS
[email protected] or [email protected]

Jessica ’21 is a prospective International Studies major with a possible correlate in Russian Studies. She has been copy editing for the Misc since her freshman year. When she isn’t busy editing, she enjoys playing the piano, cappuccinos, long conversations, and eating the deece’s chocolate chip cookies.

TEDDY CHMYZ
[email protected] or [email protected]

Online

Online Editor

[email protected]

Assistant Online Editor

CHRIS ALLEN

[email protected]

Outreach Coordinator

KIMBERLY NGUYEN

[email protected] or [email protected]

Kimberly Nguyen is Vietnamese-American poet and an English and Russian Studies double major. When she’s not thinking up clever captions or Sunday poll ideas, she’s reading poetry to procrastinate on homework (she recommends Bao Phi or Hieu Minh Nguyen) or authoring her third print poetry collection. Her two finished poetry collections, I Am Made of War and flesh are available on Amazon.

Assistant Social Media Editor

PATRICK TANELLA

[email protected]

––

Crossword Editor

BEN COSTA
[email protected]