Taken Fall 2017

The Miscellany News, one of the oldest collegiate weeklies in the country, has been the student newspaper of Vassar College since 1866. Produced by over forty student volunteers, The Miscellany News sets Vassar’s standard for reporting, creative thinking, exemplary writing and journalistic excellence. The paper is distributed every Thursday morning during the academic year, and thousands of our student, faculty, administrative, staff, alumnae/i and Arlington readers flip through it over their morning coffee to stay up-to-date.

Although our staff already boasts over forty reporters, columnists, photographers, multimedia correspondents, designers and editors, we welcome contributions from all members of the College community. Visit us in Main Building every Sunday night at 9 p.m. in the Rose Parlor for Paper Critique, or contact the Editors at [email protected] to get involved.

Executive Board

Editor-in-Chief

CHARLOTTE VARCOE-WOLFSON
[email protected]

Charlotte Varcoe-Wolfson ’19 (she/her/hers) is honored to serve as the Editor-in-Chief of The Miscellany News this semester! She is a sociology major with a potential hispanic studies double. Originally from Lower Merion, PA, at Vassar Charlotte is/has been involved in Student Theater, the Vassar Unitarian Universalists, the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life, and, of course, The Miscellany News.

Senior Editor

NOAH PURDY
[email protected]

Noah Purdy ’19 is pursuing an art history major with correlates in French and Ancient Greek. He has served on the Misc since his first semester at Vassar, moving up from guest copy editor to Arts reporter, Arts Editor and now Senior Editor. In the rare moments when he’s not fretting about every punctuation choice made in the paper, he can generally be found missing his cat back in LA and thinking about learning a new language for the umpteenth time.

Contributing Editors

SARAH DOLAN
[email protected]

Office Hours: Tuesdays, 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.

Sarah Dolan ’18 is a senior psychology major and women’s studies correlate. She has been involved with the Misc since her freshman year, and she has served as Online Editor and Design Editor. When she’s not in the Misc office, she can be found working at SAVP, singing in the Women’s Chorus, or finding new places to nap on campus.

EILÍS DONOHUE
[email protected]

Office Hours: Wednesdays, 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Eilis Donohue ’18 (she/her/hers) has been involved with the Misc since the end of her freshman year, and has been a reporter, Assistant News Editor and News Editor. She is an environmental studies and German double major, and likes to spend what free time she has left exploring and enjoying the beautiful Hudson Valley.

RHYS JOHNSON
[email protected]

Office Hours: Thursdays, 8:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.

News

Editor

LAUREL HENNEN VIGIL
[email protected]

Laurel Hennen Vigil ’20 is a sociology major with a correlate in creative writing. She hopes to someday be an investigative reporter. When she’s not studying or working on the Misc, Laurel loves to read, journal, run and hike. Originally hailing from the sunny climes of Oakland, CA, Laurel is enjoying the novel experience of seasons, but misses being able to go outside between November and March without a parka on.

Assistant Editors

CLARK XU
[email protected] 

DYLAN SMITH
[email protected]

Features

Editor

LAILA VOLPE
[email protected]

Laila Volpe ’19 is a psychology major from California with prospective French and Russian correlates. She is the Features Editor for the Misc, and she loves cats, dogs and chocolate.

Humor and Satire

Editors

LEAH CATES
[email protected]

Leah Cates ’20, from Omaha, Nebraska, is a sophomore whose academic interests include women’s studies, media studies and history. Besides the Misc, Leah is involved in Generations and French Club, and is an intern in the Office of the College Historian. She also likes to work out, but doesn’t get why you have to drop off your ID card at the AFC to be babysat by that plastic organizer, and wonders why more people don’t wander out ID-less.

YESENIA GARCIA
[email protected]

Yesenia Garcia ’20  is a sophomore majoring in neuroscience and behavior with a correlate in English. She hopes to pursue a career that involves scientific research as well as creative writing. Yesenia is the epitome of a California girl; she likes to spend her time soaking up the sun and eating burritos. In addition to those activities, she enjoys perusing various social media platforms in search of the hottest memes.

Arts

Editors

PATRICK TANELLA
[email protected]

Patrick Tanella ’19 has been editing for newspapers ever since his sophomore English teacher told him to give it a try, and he hasn’t looked back since. He loves Marina and the Diamonds, Vampire Weekend, and Norwegian teen television shows. When he’s not at the Misc office, you can find him working at the circulation desk at the library, online shopping, or critiquing mainstream music. Patrick is a psychology major that is hoping to go to get his masters in nursing following graduation.

MATT STEIN
[email protected]

Assistant Editor

SASHA GOPALAKRISHNAN
[email protected]

Sports

Editors

MACK LIEDERMAN
[email protected]

Mack Liederman is a sophomore from Westfield, New Jersey majoring in international studies with concentrations in economics and political science, alongside a corollary in mathematics. He is an avid basketball fan, with a particular interest in the intersection between social issues and sports. Mack does play-by-play broadcasting for many Vassar varsity sporting events while also serving as a manager for the men’s basketball team. Outside of his experience with the Misc., Mack writes professionally for local new source TAP into and served as the News Editor on an award-winning high school newspaper.

ROBERT PINATARO
[email protected]

Design

Editor

YOAV YARON
[email protected]

Assistant Editor

ROSE PARKER
[email protected]

Copy

Editors

SUMIKO NEARY
[email protected]

Sumiko Neary ’20 (she/her/hers) is one of the Copy Editors for the Misc. She is a science, technology, and society (STS) major and will probably also declare an econ correlate. New York City is Sumiko’s hometown, and she loves it very dearly. At Vassar, she enjoys singing a cappella, being on House Team and working with the Misc!

TANYA KOTRU GODE
[email protected]

Tanya Kotru Gode ’20 (She/Her/Hers) is a Co-Copy Editor for the Misc, who also writes for Humor. She is a psychology and French double major, and she comes from New Delhi, India. She sings in two student-run choirs on campus, and is also a part of the Vass Shakers.

Assistant Editor

CLAIRE BAKER
[email protected]

Online

Assistant Online Editors

KAYLA HOLLIDAY
[email protected]

JACKSON INGRAM
[email protected]

ABBY LASS
[email protected]

Assistant Social Media Editor

HANNAH NICE
[email protected]

Web Master and Technical Advisor

GEORGE WITTEMAN
[email protected]

––

Crossword Editor

BEN COSTA
[email protected]