The Miscellany News, one of the oldest collegiate weeklies in the country, has been the student newspaper of Vassar College since 1866. Produced by over forty student volunteers, The Miscellany News sets Vassar’s standard for reporting, creative thinking, exemplary writing and journalistic excellence. The paper is distributed every Thursday morning during the academic year, and thousands of our student, faculty, administrative, staff, alumnae/i and Arlington readers flip through it over their morning coffee to stay up-to-date.

Although our staff already boasts over forty reporters, columnists, photographers, multimedia correspondents, designers and editors, we welcome contributions from all members of the College community. Visit us in Main Building every Sunday night at 9 p.m. in the Rose Parlor for Paper Critique, or contact the Editors at [email protected] to get involved.

Executive Board

Editors-in-Chief

EMMA JONES
[email protected]

Emma Jones ’19 (she/her/hers) is an Art History and Women’s Studies double major. She has been involved in The Miscellany News since the fall of her first year, when she was a columnist for the Opinions section. In the rare moments when she isn’t in the Misc office, she can be found wandering through an art museum, drinking copious amounts of coffee in the Deece, or guiltily reading celebrity magazines at the gym.

ELENA SCHULTZ
[email protected]

Elena Schultz ’19 is a junior English and French major with interests in gender studies and the literature of medicine. She recently returned from studying comparative literature at the Sorbonne Nouvelle in Paris and is thrilled to be back as an Editor-in-Chief of the Miscellany News this semester, where she began her first year as a writer for the Arts section.

Senior Editor

TALYA PHELPS
[email protected]

Talya is a junior film major with a prospective education correlate, and she is excited to return to Vassar after a semester abroad studying film in Prague. She has been involved with the Misc since the beginning of her first year, serving as copy staff, design staff, Assistant Design Editor, Design Editor, reporter (while abroad) and now Senior Editor. When not Misc-ing, she works as an education research assistant and leads Camerata Orchestra.

Contributing Editors

EILÍS DONOHUE
[email protected]

Eilis Donohue ’18 (she/her/hers) has been involved with the Misc since the end of her freshman year, and has been a reporter, Assistant News Editor and News Editor. She is an environmental studies and German double major, and likes to spend what free time she has left exploring and enjoying the beautiful Hudson Valley.

RHYS JOHNSON
[email protected]

News

Editor

LAUREL HENNEN VIGIL
[email protected]

Laurel Hennen Vigil ’20 is a sociology major with a correlate in creative writing. She hopes to someday be an investigative reporter. When she’s not studying or working on the Misc, Laurel loves to read, journal, run and hike. Originally hailing from the sunny climes of Oakland, CA, Laurel is enjoying the novel experience of seasons, but misses being able to go outside between November and March without a parka on.

Assistant Editors

CLARK XU
[email protected] 

Features

Assistant Editors

IMOGEN WADE
[email protected]

Imogen Wade ’19 is an exchange student from Exeter, England pursuing a major in English with an interest in religion. She began writing for the Misc as a guest reporter in her first semester at Vassar and is now Co-Assistant Features Editor. In her spare time at Vassar, she can be found meditating in the Library Quiet Room and learning her lines for Mock Trial.

ANDREA YANG
[email protected]

Andrea Guang Yang (she/her/hers) is a sophomore from Beijing, China. She’s a double major in English and French who loves bunnies, pastel colors and classic novels. She has been a Features reporter since her first semester at Vassar.

Humor and Satire

Editors 

LEAH CATES
[email protected]

Leah Cates ’20, from Omaha, Nebraska, is a sophomore whose academic interests include women’s studies, media studies and history. Besides the Misc, Leah is involved in Generations and French Club, and is an intern in the Office of the College Historian. She also likes to work out, but doesn’t get why you have to drop off your ID card at the AFC to be babysat by that plastic organizer, and wonders why more people don’t wander out ID-less.

YESENIA GARCIA
[email protected]

Yesenia Garcia ’20  is a sophomore majoring in neuroscience and behavior with a correlate in English. She hopes to pursue a career that involves scientific research as well as creative writing. Yesenia is the epitome of a California girl; she likes to spend her time soaking up the sun and eating burritos. In addition to those activities, she enjoys perusing various social media platforms in search of the hottest memes.

Arts

Editor 
SASHA GOPALAKRISHNAN
[email protected]

Sasha Gopalakrishnan ’20 is a sophomore international student from Delhi, India. She is a Sociology major with a possible correlate in Women’s Studies, and has been a part of the Arts section of the Misc since the fall of freshman year. She is also a part of Vassar Refugee Solidarity, South Asian Students’ Alliance, and desperately tries to attend more than one meeting a year for VCTV, even as she flaunts it on her resume. You are most likely to catch her at Express, consuming copious amounts of coffee and wearing cool earrings.

Assistant Editors

IZZY BRAHAM
[email protected]

MATT STEIN
[email protected]

Sports

Editors

MACK LIEDERMAN
[email protected]

Mack Liederman is a sophomore from Westfield, New Jersey majoring in international studies with concentrations in economics and political science, alongside a corollary in mathematics. He is an avid basketball fan, with a particular interest in the intersection between social issues and sports. Mack does play-by-play broadcasting for many Vassar varsity sporting events while also serving as a manager for the men’s basketball team. Outside of his experience with the Misc., Mack writes professionally for local new source TAP into and served as the News Editor on an award-winning high school newspaper.

Photo

Editor

SUMIKO NEARY
[email protected]

Sumiko Neary ’20 (she/her/hers) is the Photo Editor for the Misc. She is a science, technology, and society (STS) major and will probably also declare an econ correlate. New York City is Sumiko’s hometown, and she loves it very dearly. At Vassar, she enjoys singing a cappella, being on House Team and working with the Misc!

Design

Assistant Editor

ROSE PARKER
[email protected]

Copy

Assistant Editors

CLAIRE BAKER
[email protected]

JESSICA MOSS
[email protected]

Online

Assistant Online Editors

JACKSON INGRAM
[email protected]

ABBY LASS
[email protected]

Web Master and Technical Advisor

GEORGE WITTEMAN
[email protected]

––

Crossword Editor

BEN COSTA
[email protected]