The Miscellany News, one of the oldest collegiate weeklies in the country, has been the student newspaper of Vassar College since 1866. Produced by over 40 student volunteers, The Miscellany News sets Vassar’s standard for reporting, creative thinking, exemplary writing and journalistic excellence. The paper is distributed every Wednesday evening during the academic year, and thousands of our students, faculty members, administrators, staff, alumnae/i and Arlington readers flip through it over their morning coffee to stay up-to-date.

Although our staff already boasts over 40 reporters, columnists, photographers, multimedia correspondents, designers and editors, we welcome contributions from all members of the College community. Visit us in Main Building every Sunday night at 9 p.m. in the Rose Parlor for Paper Critique, or contact the Editors at [email protected] to get involved.

Executive Board

Editor-in-Chief

TALYA PHELPS
[email protected] or [email protected]

Talya Phelps ’19 is a film major with an education correlate. She has been involved with the Misc since the beginning of her first year, serving in various positions, including Design Editor, Senior Editor and now Editor-in-Chief. When not Misc-ing or otherwise being a grammar nerd, she can be found working as an an education research assistant or spending six consecutive hours in the Deece.

Senior Editor

LEAH CATES
[email protected]

Leah Cates ’20, from Omaha, Nebraska, is a sophomore whose academic interests include women’s studies, media studies and history. Besides the Misc, Leah is involved in Generations and French Club, and is an intern in the Office of the College Historian. She also likes to work out, but doesn’t get why you have to drop off your ID card at the AFC to be babysat by that plastic organizer, and wonders why more people don’t wander out ID-less.

Contributing Editors

EILÍS DONOHUE
[email protected]

Eilis Donohue ’18 (she/her/hers) has been involved with the Misc since the end of her freshman year, and has been a reporter, Assistant News Editor and News Editor. She is an environmental studies and German double major, and likes to spend what free time she has left exploring and enjoying the beautiful Hudson Valley.

RHYS JOHNSON
[email protected]

News

Editor

LAUREL HENNEN VIGIL
lhenne[email protected]

Laurel Hennen Vigil ’20 is a sociology major with a correlate in creative writing. She hopes to someday be an investigative reporter. When she’s not studying or working on the Misc, Laurel loves to read, journal, run and hike. Originally hailing from the sunny climes of Oakland, CA, Laurel is enjoying the novel experience of seasons, but misses being able to go outside between November and March without a parka on.

Assistant Editors

CLARK XU
[email protected] 

Features

Editor

ANDREA YANG
[email protected]

Andrea Guang Yang (she/her/hers) is a sophomore from Beijing, China. She’s a double major in English and French who loves bunnies, pastel colors and classic novels. She has been a Features reporter since her first semester at Vassar.

Opinions

Editor

STEVEN PARK
[email protected]

Steven Park ’19 (he/him/his) is a Cognitive Science major with a correlate in Computer Science. As someone who loves writing about science, he believes in the importance of clear concise writing that can convey complex ideas in a way anyone can understand. Like theoretical physicist Richard Feynman argued: If you can’t explain something in simple terms, you don’t understand it. When not working on the Misc, Steven spends his time tinkering with robots, researching snake locomotion for his senior thesis, and desperately searching for a good YA novel set in high school that doesn’t use tired tropes and cliché characters.

Humor and Satire

Editors

YESENIA GARCIA
[email protected]

Yesenia Garcia ’20  is a sophomore majoring in neuroscience and behavior with a correlate in English. She hopes to pursue a career that involves scientific research as well as creative writing. Yesenia is the epitome of a California girl; she likes to spend her time soaking up the sun and eating burritos. In addition to those activities, she enjoys perusing various social media platforms in search of the hottest memes.

HANNAH GAVEN
[email protected]

Hannah Gaven ’21 is from Bellingham, Washington and she does have academic interests. When she’s not writing horoscopes, she spends her time dancing with Vass Shakers. Her favorite word is haphazard, which is also how she would describe the current state of her room. If you’re ever in need of some psychic advice, you can always find her in the booths at late night deece making chocolate milkshakes.

Arts

Editors 
SASHA GOPALAKRISHNAN
[email protected]

Sasha Gopalakrishnan ’20 is a sophomore international student from Delhi, India. She is a Sociology major with a possible correlate in Women’s Studies, and has been a part of the Arts section of the Misc since the fall of freshman year. She is also a part of Vassar Refugee Solidarity, South Asian Students’ Alliance, and desperately tries to attend more than one meeting a year for VCTV, even as she flaunts it on her resume. You are most likely to catch her at Express, consuming copious amounts of coffee and wearing cool earrings.

IZZY BRAHAM
[email protected]

Izzy ’20 is a Political Science major from Los gatos, California. She has worked for the the Arts section of the Misc since her first semester at Vassar. She loves to read, watch Parks and Rec, listen to indie music by female musicians, and eat peanut butter. She is always willing to have a long discussion about astrology and/or scientology–two topics she knows little about, but is really fascinated by :)

Assistant Editors

MATT STEIN
[email protected]

Sports

Editor

MACK LIEDERMAN
[email protected]

Mack Liederman is a sophomore from Westfield, New Jersey majoring in international studies with concentrations in economics and political science, alongside a corollary in mathematics. He is an avid basketball fan, with a particular interest in the intersection between social issues and sports. Mack does play-by-play broadcasting for many Vassar varsity sporting events while also serving as a manager for the men’s basketball team. Outside of his experience with the Misc., Mack writes professionally for local new source TAP into and served as the News Editor on an award-winning high school newspaper.

Design

Editor

ROSE PARKER
[email protected]

Rose Parker ’21 is a computer science major from Westfield, New Jersey. Even though she is a varsity athlete, she still makes the time to fix InDesign crashes and buy R2D2 outfits for her dog, Charlie. She considers herself a very busy person, with attending class and religiously feasting at late night Deece. While she seems sweet, she knows how to wield a sword and has a surprisingly dark sense of humor.

Assistant Editor

SCARLETT NEUBERGER
[email protected]vassar.edu

Copy

Editors

JESSICA MOSS
[email protected]

Jessica ’21 is a prospective International Studies major with a possible correlate in Russian Studies. She has been copy editing for the Misc since her freshman year. When she isn’t busy editing, she enjoys playing the piano, cappuccinos, long conversations, and eating the deece’s chocolate chip cookies.

TEDDY CHMYZ
[email protected]

Assistant Editor

CLAIRE BAKER
[email protected]

Online

Assistant Online Editors
JACKSON INGRAM
[email protected]

ABBY LASS
[email protected]

Social Media Editor

KIMBERLY NGUYEN

[email protected]

Kimberly Nguyen is Vietnamese-American poet and an English and Russian Studies double major. When she’s not thinking up clever captions or Sunday poll ideas, she’s reading poetry to procrastinate on homework (she recommends Bao Phi or Hieu Minh Nguyen) or authoring her third print poetry collection. Her two finished poetry collections, I Am Made of War and flesh are available on Amazon.

Web Master and Technical Advisor

GEORGE WITTEMAN
[email protected]

––

Crossword Editor

BEN COSTA
[email protected]