The Miscellany News, one of the oldest collegiate weeklies in the country, has been the student newspaper of Vassar College since 1866. Produced by over 40 student volunteers, The Miscellany News sets Vassar’s standard for reporting, creative thinking, exemplary writing and journalistic excellence. The paper is distributed every Wednesday evening during the academic year, and thousands of our students, faculty members, administrators, staff, alumnae/i and Arlington readers flip through it over their morning coffee to stay up to date.

Although our staff already boasts over 40 reporters, columnists, photographers, multimedia correspondents, designers and editors, we welcome contributions from all members of the College community. Visit us in Main Building every Sunday night at 9 p.m. in the Rose Parlor for Paper Critique, or contact the Editor-in-Chief at [email protected] to get involved.

Executive Board

Editor-in-Chief

MACK LIEDERMAN
[email protected] or [email protected]

Mack Liederman ’20 is a political science major from Westfield, New Jersey. Despite the fact that he is still a meticulously slow reader, Mack is excited to serve the Misc as its Editor-in-Chief, after having spent one semester as Senior Editor and two semesters as the head of the Sports section. Mack has contributed over a dozen articles to the Misc, with his writing largely focused on the intersections of sports, politics and culture. He is excited to bring a fresh vision to the paper, putting an increased focus on creative writing voice and digital engagement. Outside the pages of print, you can catch Mack calling play-by-play for varsity athletic events, or simply cruising around campus on his Penny board.

Senior Editors

FRANKIE KNUCKLES
[email protected]

Frankie is a junior English/philosophy double major. They can be found knitting, eating potatoes in their various forms and drinking coffee and tea at all hours. They also enjoy cheesy romantic comedies and songs with witty lyrics.

JESSICA MOSS
[email protected]

Jessica ’21 is an International Studies major with a  correlate in Russian Studies. She began her Misc journey during her first year at Vassar and served as Copy Editor before joining the News section. When she isn’t busy editing, she enjoys playing the piano, cappuccinos, long conversations and eating the Deece’s chocolate chip cookies.

Contributing Editors

LEAH CATES
[email protected]

Leah Cates ’20, from Omaha, Nebraska, is a rising senior who is majoring in women’s studies with a correlate in creative writing, thereby rendering herself unemployable upon graduation. Prior to her tenure as Contributing Editor, Leah served as Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor and Humor & Satire Editor of the Misc. Besides renouncing sleep on Tuesday nights for the Misc, she enjoys serving as Co-President of Generations, and she looks forward to being the Academic Intern for the women’s studies program next semester. She also likes to work out, but doesn’t get why you have to drop off your ID card at the AFC to be babysat by that plastic organizer, and wonders why more people don’t wander out ID-less.
SASHA GOPALAKRISHNAN

Sasha Gopalakrishnan ’20 is an international student from Delhi, India. She is an International Studies major with a correlate in Women’s Studies and has been a part of the Misc since the fall of freshman year. She is also a part of Vassar Refugee Solidarity and South Asian Students’ Alliance, and she desperately tries to attend more than one meeting a year for VCTV, even as she flaunts it on her resume. You are most likely to catch her at Express, consuming copious amounts of coffee and wearing ~experimental~ earrings.

News

Assistant Editors

OLIVIA WATSON
[email protected] or [email protected]

AENA KHAN

Features

Editor

DUNCAN ARONSON
[email protected] or [email protected]

Assistant Editor

GILLIAN REDSTONE
[email protected]

Opinions

Editor

JONAS TROSTLE
[email protected] or [email protected]

Humor and Satire

Assistant Editor

IZZY MIGANI
[email protected] or [email protected]

Arts

Editor

ABBY TARWATER
[email protected] or [email protected]

Abby Tarwater ’21 is an English major from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania who is also interested in history. When she’s not writing for the Misc, Abby can be found working in the Writing Center or dancing with Vass Shakers. She also enjoys long naps, tarot cards, reading and listening to records.

Assistant Editor

TAYLOR STEWART
[email protected]

Sports

Editor

TEDDY CHMYZ
[email protected] or [email protected]

Teddy Chmyz ’21 is from Los Altos, California and is a reluctant Economics major. When he’s not fighting the long fight against Oxford commas he can be found throwing frisbees around at six in the morning or waiting for the Deece to refresh its cookie supply. Otherwise, he is likely hiding in his room, playing video games or watching his fantasy football team’s progress on eight tabs at once.

Design

Editors

ROSE PARKER
[email protected] or [email protected]

Rose Parker ’21 is a computer science major from Westfield, New Jersey. Even though she is a varsity athlete, she still makes the time to fix InDesign crashes and buy R2D2 outfits for her dog, Charlie. She considers herself a very busy person, with attending class and religiously feasting at late night Deece. While she seems sweet, she knows how to wield a sword and has a surprisingly dark sense of humor.

LILLY TIPTON
[email protected]

Lilly Tipton ’22 is a prospective Earth Science major from New Haven, CT. When she’s not fixing InDesign issues, she enjoys running, baking, hiking and religiously watching Grey’s Anatomy. At Vassar, she is also on the crew team.

Copy

Editor

LUCY LEONARD
[email protected] or [email protected]

Online

Online Editor

ANASTASIA KOUTAVAS
[email protected]

Assistant Online Editor

CHRIS ALLEN

[email protected]

Chris Allen ’19 is a history major from Marlborough, Massachusetts. As Assistant Online Editor, he oversees Far and Away, the Misc’s study abroad blog. In addition to collecting stories from JYA students, he enjoys working in education, spending too much time on Twitter and evaluating the aesthetic and mechanical characteristics of Vassar’s elevators.

Social Media Editor

NATALIE BOBER

[email protected]

––

Photo Editor

YVETTE HU

[email protected]

Yvette Hu ’22 is a prospective Media Studies major from Shanghai, China, who also loves world literature, art history, and psychology. When she’s not rushing across the campus to take photos for various events, she might be playing the piano in Skinner or singing along with the guitar and having long soothing conversations with her bestie. She is also passionate about writing and is currently involved in the ASC magazine Portrait.

––

Crossword Editor

BEN COSTA
[email protected]