Despite setbacks, VC Athletics improves record this week

Bobby Maiocco ‘15 lunges forward with balance and poise during a fencing match on Saturday, February 2. The men’s team came away with several against Yale, Drew and Hunter Universities. By: Katie de Heras
Bobby Maiocco ‘15 lunges forward with balance and poise during a fencing match on Saturday,
February 2. The men’s team came away with several against Yale, Drew and Hunter Universities. By: Katie de Heras

Men’s Fencing

In an exciting Senior Day on Saturday, February 2, the men’s fencing team finished 2-1 against Yale, Drew, and Hunter. The sabre squad was undefeated, with a total record of 6-3 victories over all three schools. As a team, the match against Yale University was close and competitive, but ultimately resulted in a 17-10 loss. Epee went 3-6 while sabre finished 6-3, led by senior Tavish Pegram who was 6-1 for the day. The next match against Drew University was very close, with junior Matt Steinschneider’s 3-0 record helping to put the foil squad ahead. Together the team pulled ahead 15-12 for the match win. The last competition against Hunter College was dominated by the Brewers who secured a 19-8 victory. Sophomore Tre Artis and senior Alex Vastola earned three wins for the foil squad. This leaves the team with an 11-13 record as they travel to NYU Thursday, February 7.

Women’s Fencing

Also celebrating a victorious Senior Day was the women’s fencing team who went 3-1 against Yale, Queens, Drew and Hunter. The first match, despite resulting in a 19-8 loss to Yale University, saw senior Katie LeClair going undefeated in foil. In the match against Queens College, epee went 8-1, with major contributions from sophomore Megan Lewis and senior Caitlin Clevenger, and foil finished 7-2 to give the Brewers a 23-4 victory. Epee then was undefeated in the match against Drew, and the team as a whole won 21-6. To finish the day, senior Katherine Sweeney’s two foil wins added to the team’s 18-9 win. The women’s team is also 11-13 in the season and will travel alongside the men’s team in their travel to NYU on THursday.

Women’s Basketball

Vassar women’s basketball took on Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Feb. 5, winning a pivotal match 61-57 and improving their Liberty League standing. The Engineers made a last minute serge, taking a one point lead with 2:17 remaining on the clock. However, the Brewers answered, quickly taking back and holding on to the lead for the remainder of the match. RPI captured the early lead, up 19-14 within the first 10 minutes of the game. However, Vassar took the lead back with four minutes until halftime due to the strength of baskets made by senior forward Natalie Allen, freshman guard Alex Moon, and sophomore forward Colleen O’Connell. Within the first two minutes of the second half, Vassar was up 38-31. Junior guard Cydni Matsuoka scored a jumper to push the score to 44-36. RPI looked to be making a comeback, outscoring Vassar 6-0 within a two minute time span, attributing to the 55-54 lead they held, the first and only time they held the lead during the second half. Due to baskets clinched by O’Connell as well as freshman guard Caitlin Drakeley and sophomore guard Nyah Berg, Vassar shut down RPI’s hopes once and for all. Matsuoka lead the Brewers in points yet again, scorer 16 in total, while O’Connell earned her fourth double-double of the season with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

Men’s Basketball

On Saturday, Feb. 2, Vassar men’s basketball team took on St. Lawrence University. The Brewers ended up edging out their opponents in a tight match with a score of 84-80 after going into double overtime. Vassar had five players score in the double digits, attributing to their narrow win. During the last 11 minutes of the game, junior guard Sam Rappaport hit a baseline 3-pointer, followed closely by junior forward getting back to back free-throw shots, giving Vassar its first lead since early in the first half. Donnelly and Rappaport were big impacts in the success of the team, scoring 10 and 14 points, respectively. The match stayed tight throughout the first overtime period, with both teams trading baskets and fouls. The teams ended overtime with a 74-74 tie, leading to double overtime. Vassar quickly took the lead with a 3-pointer from Rappaport. A crucial stop during the last 30 seconds of the game by sophomore guard Curtis Smith allowed Vassar to pull and stay ahead. Smith lead the Brewers in points, scorer 16 in total. In total, the lead was trade a total of 17 times between the two teams. This win improves the team’s overall record to 7-13, with a 3-8 record in the Liberty League.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

At the Skidmore College Sprint Invitational on Feb. 2, Vassar women’s swimming and diving pulled  ahead of four teams, finishing third out of seven overall. Sophomore Jane Cardona won the 1-Meter Diving with a score of 212.65 and the 3-Meter Diving with a score of 229.55. Sophomore Kelly Wilkinson finished second on the 3-Meter board (223.75) and third on the 1-Meter board (193.20). Senior Shannon Sara won the 100 Yard Individual Medley with a time of 1:04.91 and finished third in the 50 Yard Breaststroke (33.59). Freshman Marie Schmidt finished third in the 500 Yard Free (5:31.89). Sophomore Juliana Struve finished third in the 100 Yard Breaststroke with a time of 1:14.78, followed by freshman Anna Kuo (fourth, 1:15.22) and Quinn (seventh, 1:17.50), who all swam season bests. The 200 Yard Freestyle Relay team of sophomore Liz Balter, junior McKenzie Quinn, freshman Liliana Frye and Sara took third with a time of 1:46.90. The Brewers now look ahead to the UNYSCSA Championships to be held at Ithaca College from Feb. 20-22.