Difficult week for Brewers highlights challenges of seasonal transitions

Christian La Du ’15 gave Vassar four aces at last weekend’s match against Hilbert College at the United Vollyball Converence. Vassar will play its home opener this Friday against Hunter College. Photo By: Vassar Athletics
Christian La Du ’15 gave Vassar four aces at last weekend’s match against Hilbert College at the
United Vollyball Converence. Vassar will play its home opener this Friday against Hunter College. Photo By: Vassar Athletics

Men’s Volleyball

This past Sunday, Feb. 10, men’s volleyball faced Hilbert College at a United Volleyball Conference crossover match at Medaille College. The Brewers made quick work of their opponents, winning 3-1. Vassar broke free from a 10-10 tie in the first set and surged ahead 21-14 on the strength of kills from junior outside hitter Joe Pyne and senior middle hitter Matt Elgin. Hilbert couldn’t close the gap, with Pyne earning Vassar’s last three kills. The second set was more competitive, tied five times in total. With freshman Kadeem Nibbs serving, Vassar won the next two points. A Hilbert attack error gave Vassar a 23-20 lead and attacks by sophomore Artie Blissert and freshman Erik Halbert secured the 21-25 win and a 2-0 lead for Vassar.

In the third set, Vassar suffered its worst attack set of the match, resulting in a 25-13 Hilbert victory. Yet Vassar rebounded nicely in the final set. Pyne’s serving, as well as senior Patrick Donohue and senior Christian La Du gave Vassar four aces. Vassar won this set 25-9, their biggest score gap of the match. Pyne lead the team with a total of 13 kills while sophomore setter Colin White-Dzuro recorded a career high of 21 assists. Vassar goes on to play its home opener on Friday, February 15 against Hunter College.

Women’s Fencing

The Brewers traveled to NYC on Thursday, February 7 to compete against Columbia University and New York University. Though Vassar lost to both teams, there were several noteworthy individul performances. Together the epee squad had a 5-4 victory over NYU, including wins from senior Caitlin Clevenger and sophomore Megan Lewis. Sabre earned two wins from seniors Tracy Bratt and Jillian Josimovich. The final score against NYU was 8-19. Facing Columbia proved much more difficult, as Bratt earned one win for foil, and epee had three wins total from freshman Rachel Messbauer, who was 3-3 for the night, and Clevenger. The final score of 4-23 drops the Brewers 10-18 for the season. They will compete in the NEIFC Championships on February 23.

Men’s Basketball

On Saturday, Feb. 9, the Vassar College men’s basketball team fell short in a 63-60 loss to RIT in the final seconds of play at the Athletics & Fitness Center. Down 53-40 with 9:35 left in the second half, the Brewers went on an 18-7 run in an effort to close the gap, 60-58 with 2:21 remaining.

RIT pulled further away with a free throw from Mike D’Amico and another pair from Eric Travis, making it a five-point game, 63-58. Sophomore forward Alex Snyder drove to the basket for a layup on the next possession, bringing the Brewers within three. He then pulled down a defensive rebound off a missed RIT free throw. Snyder found sophomore guard Curtis Smith open near half court with the clock down to three seconds. Smith went to put up the game-tying 3-pointer but was called for traveling with .06 seconds remaining. The Brewers fall to 7-16 and 3-11 in the Liberty League, finishing their home schedule. They will next travel to Skidmore College on Friday, February 15 and then to Union College the next day.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

On Friday, Feb. 9, the men’s swimming and diving team took third place out of five teams at the Vassar Sprint Invitational. The 200 Yard Medley Relay team of sophomore Luc Amodio, sophomore Matt Weiss, senior Mathúe Duhaney and freshman Greg Cristina broke the meet record with a time of 1:41.63. Duhaney also won the 50 Yard Freestyle with a time of (22.72) and took second in the 50 Yard Butterfly (25.72).

Freshman Isaiah Hale finished first in the 400 Yard Individual Medley (4:40.87). Amodio claimed a first place finish in the 50 Yard Backstroke (25.66). Sophomore Jeffrey Fromm had a personal best in the 3-Meter Diving event with a score of 167.18 while senior Simon Whitelaw finished second in the event (239.40). Whitelaw also took second on the 1-Meter board (229.20). Skidmore College won the Invitational with a combined score of 495 while Vassar scored a 343. Vassar next will compete at the UNYSCSA Championships held at Ithaca College on February 20-23.