VC Athletics battles through spring break

Sophomore Sophia Rosetti scored two goals during the spring break lacrosse game, adding to the team’s 15-2 score. Vassar continued its high-scoring trend in their next game against Ohio Wesleyan. Photo By: Vassar Athletics
Sophomore Sophia Rosetti scored two goals during the spring break lacrosse game, adding to the
team’s 15-2 score. Vassar continued its high-scoring trend in their next game against Ohio Wesleyan. Photo By: Vassar Athletics

Men’s Fencing

The team finished the season over the break by sending six fencers to Northeast Regionals—the first round of NCAA Fencing Finals. Senior Alex Vastola and junior Matt Steinschneider advanced to the foil quarter finals, where they finished 34th and 35th respectively. Senior Tavish Pegrem finished 30th in epee. For sabre, junior John Arden was just short of the semi-finals and finished in 23rd.

Women’s Fencing

Another team finishing their season was the women’s fencing team, which also sent six fencers to Regionals. Senior Katie LeClair made it to foil semi-finals and finished 17th. For epee squad, sophomore Megan Lewis finished in 43rd, and Senior Caitlin Clevenger had a tough quarter-final match but finished 32nd. Senior Tracy Bratt barely missed the quarter-finals and finished in 38th.

Women’s Lacrosse

The Brewers had great success on their Spring Break trip to Florida and returned with an impressive 2-0 record. Their first win against Fitchburg State was a product the talents of a wide range of class years. Junior midfielder Malena Harrang put Vassar on the board within the first two minutes. Freshman Isabelle Goldstein scored her first collegiate goal and assist, while attack Sara Davis, midfielder Michela Garrison and midfielder Sophia Rosetti all scored two goals, adding to the 15-2 score.

Vassar continued the high-scoring trend with their next game against Ohio Wesleyan, where they dominated on offense and defense. Davis scored four goals, while senior defender Elizabeth Annis put three of her own on the board. Ohio Wesleyan came close to tying with 26 remaining in the first half until Vassar quickly responded with four unanswered goals. The Brewers went on to start the second half with seven goals in the first 20 minutes of play. The final score of 19-8 leaves the team in a great position for the rest of the season.

Men’s Baseball

The baseball team at Vassar College began its season over the recent break at the Russmatt Central Florida Invitational, and has been solid so far, with a total of four wins to two losses, falling only to Oswego State (1-4) and Dartmouth College (2-10). Their first game of the season was against Cairn University on March 14th and was a strong start, with Vassar winning 10-0. Junior pitcher Joe Lovizio helped Vassar achieve the first shut out of their season. This win was mainly due to the lack of pitching accuracy from the other team. Vassar had 11 players walked by Cairn University, greatly contributing to their win. Sophomore Kyle Casey, who had a solid base hit in the final inning, had the last run of the game, bring Vassar to 10 runs compared to the opponents zero. The team will have its first official Liberty League Match on Friday, March 29, against University of Rochester.

Men’s Tennis

On their recent trip to California over the break, Vassar men’s tennis had a winning record of two wins to one loss. In the first match against Caltech, the team won 8-1, and then followed with a 6-3 win against Sewanee. They fell to nationally ranked Cal Lutheran 3-6. Freshman Christian Phelps went 3-0 in is single matches, greatly contributing to the teams solid performance in the three matches. Phelps had a huge win against Cal Lutheran’s Devon Belcher, winning after two tight sets and a final 10 point set. Senior Andrew Guzick had two singles win and two doubles victories, while freshman Daniel Cooper had a solid win against the number 4 seeded singles player on Cal Lutheran. The team is now 5-8 for the whole season. They face nationally ranked Amherst College on Saturday, March 30th.