Teams produce mixed results in Liberty League play

Last weekend the Vassar Women’s golf team hosted the Vassar College Women’s Golf Invitational. Paloma Jimenez ’14, pictured above, putted the best score during Sunday’s tournament play. Photo By: Vassar Athletics
Last weekend the Vassar Women’s golf team hosted the Vassar College Women’s Golf Invitational.
Paloma Jimenez ’14, pictured above, putted the best score during Sunday’s tournament play. Photo By: Vassar Athletics

Men’s Lacrosse

In a tough match against fifth ranked Rochester Institute of Technology, the Brewers fell 25-3. Freshman midfielder Shane Flattery scored Vassar’s first goal at 8:40, to which RIT responded with nine goals of their own. Sophomore midfielder Sean Brazier broke the streak with a goal in the second quarter. The final Brewers goal of the game came from freshman attack Noah Parson, who also had an assist and picked up four ground balls. RIT outshot Vassar 63-22 and caused 10 turnovers to Vassar’s 23. With the loss the Brewers drop 3-8 in the season and RIT remains undefeated in League play. The men’s next game will be against Drew University on Saturday, April 20.

Women’s Lacrosse

This weekend women’s lacrosse had mixed results in both away games. Friday, April 12 the Brewers defeated host Skidmore College 19-9. Within the first three minutes of play, freshman midfielder Isabelle Goldstein, sophomore attack Dara Davis and senior midfielder Marissa Reilly all scored, giving Vassar a lead they would never lose. Davis won five draws and scored five goals, tying her season record. Sophomore goalie Katharine Pula made six saves, helping to keep the Brewers ahead. Her replacement, sophomore Hilary McDonnell, kept Skidmore scoreless. Goldstein picked up four ground balls and junior defender Phoebe Tzannes scored a career high four goals.

The next day Vassar faced 19th-ranked Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, where the Brewers ended their three-game winning streak with a 15-4 loss. Early on it appeared to be a close game, as both teams were tied in the first eight minutes. But RPI managed to score seven goals before the end of the first half. Davis and Goldstein each scored one goal, and sophomore defender Evie Toland picked up a team-high three ground balls. After this weekend Vassar’s record is 8-3 overall and 3-3 in League play. The Brewers will host William Smith College this Friday for Friends of Jaclyn Day.

Women’s Rugby

On Sunday, April 14, Vassar women’s rugby hosted Drew University and ended up beating them 54-5. Drew found itself at a disadvantage early, down 0-20 by the end of the first half. Vassar did not let up however. Tries were achieved by sophomore Tamesha Persuad, senior Nichelle Jackson, senior Shanaye Williams, junior Hannah Fink, and many other teammates. The teams next match will be on April 20 at The Beast of the East Tournament in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.

Men’s Rugby

For the third time this year, Vassar suffered a close loss to Marist, 31-28. For the first twenty minutes, Marist drove runners upfield and scored their first two tries to put the score at 12-0. Junior flyhalf responded by sliding under the posts to make it 12-7, but Marist was able to score again, ending the first half 19-7. Several successful scoring efforts in the second half of the match by Joe Karpman and senior wing Jerry Dieudonne were not enough to give the Brewers the win.

Women’s Golf

This past weekend, Vassar women’s golf team hosted the Vassar College Women’s Golf Invitational. The team ended up doing fairly well during the tournament, coming in sixth place out of eleven teams overall and coming in second out of seven Liberty League teams. On day one, Senior Nicole Bronson and freshman Aimee Dubois tied for the Vassar team low with 13 over par rounds of 85 on Saturday. They were closely followed by senior Celynne Balatbat with an 86 and freshman Angela Mentel with an 87 to round out the four counting scores. Junior Paloma Jimenez shot a 90, as did sophomore Caitlin Bell competing as an individual. Bronson and Dubois are tied for 21st in the 56-golfer field. On Sunday, Junior, Jimenez led the Brewers on the day with a 10 over par 82; she finished 28 over par for the tourney to join Balatbat, Bronson, and Mentel on the All-Liberty League Second Team. The next tournament will be the Jack Leahman Invitational in Amherst, MA.

Men’s Rowing

The Vassar Men’s & Women’s Rowing Team kicked off their Spring Season at the Metropolitan Intercollegiate Rowing Association Spring Championship, held at Orchard Beach Lagoon this past Saturday. The Brewers had an extremely strong showing, taking 4th place overall points for the Championship. The varsity men narrowly missed finals in their four, but took an overall 3rd place finish in the pair event. The varsity women were awarded 3rd place points in their event, with the novice women taking home 2nd place medals in both the novice four and eight events. The next race for the team is going to be a dual against SUNY Albany in Albany, NY.