Club Sports Give Brewer Fans More to Cheer About

Screen shot 2013-08-13 at 10.37.25 PM
Jessica Tarantine ’14 is one of four Contributing Editors this semester. Previously, Jessica served as editor of the Features section. Jessica is an Economics and Greek & Roman Studies double major.

While Vassar may lack a football team you can enthusiastically cheer for on a Friday night, it does offer a wide array of club sports ranging from the quirky to the more traditional. So if your Vassar pride demands a team to cheer for–or even play on–check out some of these club sports:

Rugby:

Coming from a strong performance last season, the men’s and women’s rugby teams are poised for another successful season. For their last matches of the 2012-2013 season, the Brewers traveled to Rhode Island for the Beast of the East tournament. The women’s team managed to win their way into the final championship game of the tournament, but ultimately fell to the University of Albany. The 22-5 finish earned them the runner-up position in the tournament, making it the tenth consecutive year the team had made it to the final round.

The men’s team did not fare as well. In the first game, the men’s team received an automatic win against a late arriving Wheaton College, and then a loss against Wentworth College after the tied game went into a kickoff. The final consolation game against Central Connecticut State University ended 22-5 to Central Connecticut State.

In the fall, the women’s team will first play a scrimmage game on September 7, before hosting Sacred Heart University at the Vassar Farm on September 15. The men’s team will face their first match–an away game–against  Hofstra University on September 7, before hosting Seton Hall University on September 15th.

Crew:

With an automatic bid to the Head of the Charles and top 12 placement of the Novice Womens Eight, the Vassar’s college rowing teams finished the 2012-2013 seasons with a host of accomplishment. Despite a strong season, however, none of Vassar’s boats managed to advance from the heats at the  Dad Vail Championships held in Philadelphia at the end of last year.

Both the Men’s and Women’s team will begin the season at the Head of the Mohawk on October 5th, before heading to the the Head of the Housatonic on October 12.

Quidditch:

This year will be exciting year to watch the Butterbeer Brewers, as the International Quidditch Association (IQA) continues to institutes a number of changes to how Quidditch is played. In recent years, the IQA has made moves not only to legitimize the game through formal rules and tournament structure, but also develop regional leagues to meet the needs of a sport that has taken hold across the nation. This past year, the World Cup was moved from New York City to Florida, and bids were needed for entry. After failing to gain a bid at the North Eastern Regionals in Boston, the Butterbeer Brewers decided to host a alternative World Cup, The Cup that Must not be Named, this past spring at Vassar. This year promises more changes, as the league moves to a pay-per-player fee system from a flat fee per team structure. Despite these changes, look for the Brewer’s traditional fall tournament the Butterbeer Classic, as well as their open weekly practices.

Polo:

Founded in 2001, Vassar’s polo team is one of only forty in the nation and typically competes against school such as University of Connecticut, Skidmore College and Yale University. The team features members ranging from the novice to the seasoned rider. Practices, held at the Gardner

Farm in Newburg, begin in mid-October and run until April. At the end of last year, the team was in the process of applying for varsity status. At present players pay a flat per for semester to play and such a change would alter how the club is funded and overseen. The team already competes at a varsity levels and travels to tournaments as far away as Indiana.

Iced Brew:

Iced Brew is Vassar’s very own synchronized skating team. The team was founded by Hannah Erdheim ’10  and this year will mark the seventh season of competition for the team. Last year the team competed in three meets, the last of which was the Eastern Synchronized Skating Sectional Championship, held in Lake Placid New York.  In addition to formal competition, the team also hosts exhibitions for Vassar fans and community members at a local rink, McCann Ice Arena.  Members, once selected, commit to practicing for three hours each week. Like many other club sports, the team welcomes participants with no previous experience.