VC athletes produce mixed results during early matches

Women’s Basketball

Senior co-captain Cydni Matsuoka recently had her basketball jersey retired to the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame on Friday, September 13. The Hall of Fame, which is in Knoxville, TN, now contains Matsuoka’s No. 10 jersey alongside only 100 jerseys of the previous season’s All-American list.

Women’s Golf

Vassar kicked off its season on September 14, as the squad competed in day one of the New York University Invitational. The Brewers finished in the middle of the pack, with senior Paloma Jimenez and sophomore Aimee Dubois both posting scores of 86. Sophomore Angela Mentel shot a score of 87 over the par-72 course, while freshman Diana Howland recorded a 102 in her collegiate round. On day two (September 15), the squad wrapped up the tournament with an eighth place finish. Dubois, the team’s leading scorer for the weekend, posted a score of 83 and Jimenez carded an 89. The Brewers travel to South Hadley, MA on September 21 for the Mount Holyoke College Invitational.

Men’s Soccer

The men faced off against State University of New York Oneonta on September 14, playing to a 1-1 double overtime tie. Justin Mitchell assisted Rob Manukyan, who scored the Brewers’ only goal four minutes before the end of the second half. Ryan Grimme also came up with a key save early in the first overtime. Sophomore Nick Hess was named the Liberty League’s Defensive Player of the Week for his performances. Vassar takes on Maritime College at Gordon Field on September 22.

Women’s Soccer

On September 14, the women faced New York University at Gordon Field. The final score was 3-2, with the Bobcats taking the lead. Sophomore Kamaria Coley scored the first goal for the Brewers, assisted by sophomore Lucy Brainerd. Senior Sheeva Seyfi had the second goal, scored from 18 yards out. On Sunday, September 15, the Brewers won a game vs. State University of New York Plattsburgh 1-0. Junior Chloe Wheeler scored the lone goal, making it her fifth of the season.  Wheeler has scored two game-winning goals so far this season, and nine game-winners overall for her career, breaking the school record.

Women’s Tennis

On September 15, the Women’s Tennis team competed in the Lindsay Morehouse Invitation at Williams College in Williamstown, MA. Freshmen Connie Yoo went undefeated in singles, besting players from Skidmore College. Yoo was named Rookie of the Week on September 16 for her performance. Freshmen Shayna Becker and Emily Hallewell teamed up to win two doubles over the weekend.

Women’s Volleyball

Women’s Volleyball lost to Stevenson University in three games on Saturday and beat Hamilton College in three sets. Freshman Gabby Miller had 23 digs vs. Stevenson, while sophomore libero Chloe Hallum had 22.  Senior setter Rose Carman had 25 assists in the match vs. Hamilton.