Men’s soccer redeems itself with recent win

Men’s Cross Country

On September 20, the men’s Cross Country team finished sixth out of fifteen teams at Saratoga Spa State Park. Freshman Alfredo Mazzuca finished second place and had a personal record in the 8k with a time of 26:00. For the Brewers, sophomore Andres Orr finished third with a time of 27:33. On Monday, the Liberty League named Mazzuca Rookie of the Week. Men’s Cross Country will next meet at the State University of New York Geneseo Pre-Regional Run on October 5.

Women’s Cross Country

At the RPI Invitational in Saratoga Springs, NY, the women’s Cross Country team fourth overall out of 13 teams. Senior captain Aubree Piepmeier finished first for the Brewers and eighth overall with a time of 18:10. Freshman Jemma Howlett finished second for the Brewers and fifteenth overall. On October 4, the women will travel to State University of New York at Geneseo for the Pre-Regional Run.

Women’s Field Hockey

On September 21, the Brewers took on the Blazers of Elms College and recorded a 4-0 shutout win. Sophomore forward Lauren Wiebe tallied two goals, while senior forward/midfielder Tina Caso (Full disclosure: Tina Caso serves as the co-Sports Editor for The Miscellany News) and junior forward Dara Davis each chipped in one. Vassar hits the road this weekend for two game vs. the University of Rochester in Rochester, NY and William Smith in Geneva, NY.

Women’s Golf

On September 21, sophomore Angela Mentel shot a 36 on the back nine at the Mt. Holyoke Invitational in South Hadley, MA. Senior Paloma Jiminez finished with 98 and freshman Deanna Howland had 117. The next day of the invitational, Mentel finished at a tie for 32nd with a total of 172. Women’s Golf will meet on September 28 in Middlebury, VT for the Middlebury College Invitational.

Men’s Rugby

The Brewers took on the Stags of Fairfield University on September 22, getting out to a slow start and losing 37-16 in the end. Vassar will face William Patterson University on September 29th, looking to bounce back.

Women’s Rugby

The women’s Rugby “A” team fell to rival Marist College on September 21, 53-0 while the “B” team lost 12-0. Senior center Natalie Ward, senior flanker Dallas Robinson and sophomore wing Cierra Thomas all had noteworthy plays for the Brewers. The women will next play on Sunday, October 6 vs. the New Paltz Eagles on the Vassar Farm.

Men’s Soccer

Vassar faced Maritime College on September 22nd, scoring all of its goals in the second half of the 4-0 rout. Senior midfielder Juliano Pereira scored two goals, and senior midfielder Adrien Demelier and junior forward Tom Wiechert added one each. The Brewers will next compete against Skidmore College in a home game at Prentiss field on Saturday, September 28 at 2 pm.

Women’s Soccer

Vassar defeated Manhattanville College 2-1 in overtime on September 21st. Senior forward Sheeva Seyfi scored the Brewers’ first and sophomore midfielder Lucy Brainerd shot home the winner. Vassar will take on Skidmore College on September 28th to start Liberty League play.

Men’s Tennis

On September 20, freshman Nicholas Litsky of men’s Tennis won two of his single matches at Ithaca College for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s Northeast Regionals tournament. In his first single vs. Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute, he went 6-0, 6-4, and in his second match vs. St. Lawrence University he went 6-0, 7-5. For doubles he paired up with sophomore captain Christian Phelps to beat out Elmira College 8-4. On September 21, Litsky faced Skidmore’s number one player in the second round of play, eventually falling 6-1, 6-0. The men will travel to compete against Bard College on October 5.

Women’s Tennis

On September 21, the first day of the Vassar College Scramble, the host Brewers earned eight singles wins against the likes of New York University and Connecticut College. Sophomore Kelsey Van Noy and freshmen Emily Hallewell and Shayna Becker all recorded wins in straight sets. On the second day of the tournament, Vassar dropped all three doubles matches against New York University, but swept all doubles teams from Connecticut College. Senior Lindsay Kantor, along with Van Noy, Hallewell, and Becker, earned 8-0 wins. Hallewell was named the Liberty League’s Rookie of the Week for her performances in the tournament.

Women’s Volleyball

On September 21, Vassar College swept Sage Colleges and Kean University in the two matches played. Junior outside hitter Taylor Mosley recorded 43 kills on the weekend. Mosley was also named Liberty League Performer of the Week. The Brewers will head to Clarkson University on September 27 in a key Liberty League matchup.