Wheeler a dominant force in women’s soccer victories

Women’s Basketball

In the October edition of the Women’s Division III News, senior guard Cydni Matsuoka of the women’s basketball team was named as a 2013-2014 Preseason All-American. Only 24 players in the nation gain this title, and Matsuoka was the only underclassman to earn a spot on the list.

Women’s Field Hockey

In the Brewers’ first October break match of the week, field hockey beat No. 13 ranked Skidmore College in Liberty League play for the first time in the team’s history 2-1. Sophomore midfielder Bianca Zarrella and senior forward Tina Caso scored goals. (Disclaimer: Tina Caso serves as the Sports Editor for The Miscellany News) The next day, Caso scored two more versus the St. Lawrence University Saints, and one more goal by Zarrella brought the score 3-1.

Over break, Caso was named Liberty League Offensive Performer of the Week, while senior goalkeeper Maggie Brelis earned Defensive Performer of the Week. The two seniors also garnered Eastern College Athletic Conference recognition by being named Player of the Week.

Last Saturday, the team competed against Union College for its annual Senior Day and beat the Dutchmen 2-0 with sophomore forward Lauren Wiebe scoring both goals. Senior midfielder Anna Schroeder and freshman defender Lauren Schumate assisted Wiebe’s goals. The win marked Brelis’ fourth shutout of the season, and the Brewers’ will now officially proceed into postseason Liberty League play.

Field Hockey will next compete against Ramapo College on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. in Mahwah, NJ.

Women’s Golf

On day one of the Ann S. Batchelder Invitational at Wellesley College, sophomore Aimee Dubois lead the team and earned a sixth place tie with June Conti of Mt. Holyoke College. On the second day of the tournament, Dubois tied for fourth place and brought the team to a fifth place finish overall. Her total for the two-day tournament was 158, and the final score for the Brewers was 703. Based on her performance, the Liberty League named Dubois the Performer of the Week. This is the second time in her career that the league has recognized her.

The women’s golf team’s tournament will take place in mid-April at the Vassar College Invitational.

Women’s Tennis

Saturday, October 19, women’s tennis competed in the New York State Championships at Ithaca College. Both doubles teams of senior Lindsay Kantor, sophomore Kelsey Van Noy, freshman Shayna Becker and freshman Emily Hallewell won matches versus the University of Rochester and St. Lawrence University. Freshman Connie Yoo also defeated William Smith in the finals of singles matches. On the second day of the tournament, Hallewell and Becker won their brackets, while Van Noy and Yoo fell in the final round to Skidmore College. The Liberty League named Hallewell Rookie of the Week for the third time this season.

This marks the end of the 2013 section, and women’s tennis will next host Muhlenberg College in February.

Men’s Soccer

On October 18, the men’s soccer team suffered a loss versus No. 10 ranked St. Lawrence University with a final score of 3-0. Both the Brewers and the Saints had 14 shots overall, while the Brewers only had nine fouls compared to the St. Lawrence’s 20. In their next match versus Clarkson University, the team won 2-0 from an early goal by senior forward Rob Manukyan, which was his first game-winning goal of the season. Junior forward Tom Wiechert scored the second goal, his 11th goal this season. Clarkson did not score once, making it sophomore goalkeeper Sebastien Lasseur’s first shutout.

Men’s soccer will next play in an away game against Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.

Women’s Soccer

Women’s soccer won a match versus Rutgars-Newark on October 12 in a 2-0 victory. Chloe Wheeler scored both goals, which earned her a third game-winning goal for this season. Sophomore Kamaria Coley assisted Wheeler’s second goal. On October 18, the Brewers suffered a hard loss versus St. Lawrence University after outshooting the Saints, who scored at the last minute of the first half. The next day versus Clarkson University, Wheeler and sophomore midfielder Lucy Brainerd scored for the Brewers, and the final score was 2-0. Wheeler’s goal marked her 11th career game-winning goal. Women’s soccer next plays against Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute at home at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.

Women’s Volleyball

At this year’s Seven Sisters Volleyball Tournament at Mt. Holyoke College last Saturday, the women’s volleyball team lost two 3-0 matches against Smith College and Wellesley College on the first day, while bringing home two victories on the second. The team won both matches versus Bryn Mawr College and Mount Holyoke. Two women, freshman Gabby Miller and junior Taylor Mosley, were named to the Seven Sisters All-Tournament Team.

In the team’s next match versus Stevens Institute of Technology, the Brewers fell with a final score of 3-1. On October 18, the team moved back into Liberty League play, losing the match versus Union 3-1. However, the team earned a pair of wins over both the Rochester Institute of Technology and Skidmore College in four games later that week. In matches against Skidmore, senior Rose Carman has 52 assists and 15 digs—a career high.

Women’s Volleyball will next meet with Connecticut College on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. in New London, CT.