Men’s soccer moves to post-season play

Men’s Cross Country

The men’s cross country team competed at the Liberty League Championships this past weekend hosted at Bard College. The team was forced to compete shorthanded after scratching two runners. Then men managed to pull off a fourth place finish even without usual top performers sophomore Jonah Williams and freshman Jay Kepes. Freshman Alfredo Mazzuca earned First Team All-Liberty League accolades and was the top freshman finisher in the race; he also beat his personal record by 13 seconds. Senior Harry Feigen came in 2nd for the Brewers and was 21st overall. Junior Eliot Gerson came 3rd for the Brewers and 25th overall. Junior Brian Deer was 4th and 44th overall. Senior Carlisle Schaeffer placed 47th overall to round out the top five.

The men will next host the VC Late Season Invitational Friday November 8th at 4:00 p.m. on the Vassar Farm.

Women’s Cross Country

The Women harriers were also short-handed during Liberty League Championships missing key performers freshman Lucy Balcezak and junior Cassidy Carpenter. The Brewers still managed to take home a 3rd place finish at the meet. Senior Aubree Piepmeier earned First Team All-Liberty League accolades posting a personal best time of 22:02 and finishing 4th overall. Freshman Jemma Howlett finished 12th overall and earned Second Team All-Liberty League accolades. Freshman Kate Snider finished one second behind Howlett for a 13th place finish also earning her Second Team honors. Senior Emily Garber finished 17th overall while freshman Laura McDonald, finishing 5th for the Brewers, posted a collegiate best for 24th place. Junior Viviane Ford placed 30th.

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team has had an incredibly successful week. Not only was senior defender Evan Seltzer named to the College Sports Information Directors of America 2013-2014 Capital One Academic All-District Team, but the team also made Liberty League Playoffs once again. On Wednesday the team traveled to Union and ended with a 2-2 tie. Junior Zach Nasipak and sophomore Gavin Jennings scored for Vassar and senior Ryan Grimme recorded three saves off of 14 shots. The men next played Bard College on Senior Day. Senior Rob Manukyan got the game-winning goal in the 3-0 victory for the Brewers. Freshman Stephen Gennings also scored as well as junior Tom Wiechert who had his 11th of the year. Grimme had five saves on the day and sophomore Sebastien Lasseur had two.

The team will next travel to St. Lawrence University on November 6 for the first Liberty League playoff game.