Women’s fencing has standout wins at VC invitational

Women’s Cross Country

On Nov. 8, the women’s cross country team ran in the Vassar College Late Season Invite at the Vassar Farm. Junior Viviane Ford finished second overall with a time of 19:36 to beat 17 other runners, while junior Harper Cleves took fifth place with a time of 19:53. Sophomore Cara Bennet finished 13th and senior Chloe Williams was 15th. The Brewers’ next race will be the NCAA Atlantic Regionals at Geneseo, NY on Nov. 16.

Men’s Cross Country

The men’s cross country team ran in the Nov. 8 Vassar College Late Season Invite, its final meet of the year. Sophomore Andres Orr finished first for the Brewers and 11th overall while Senior Charles Wise was 18th overall with a time of 21:13. Senior co-captain Sean Majer ran the race with an injuring, pulling off a time of 21:39. The team will participate in the NCAA Atlantic Regional meet on November 16 at State University of New York Geneseo, hoping to qualify for an NCAA championship spot.

Women’s Fencing

The women’s fencing team competed in the Vassar Invitational on Sunday, Nov. 10. Freshman foil Elsa Stoff and freshman epee Olivia Weiss had strong performances, earning three wins each. The team had wins over Queens College, Yeshiva University and Hunter College. Junior epee Megan Lewis had three of 11 wins against Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) along with Weiss. Stoff also had two wins during that match, but FDU took the win. In all three of their matches, the Brewers had at least 20 bout wins. In foil, Stoff went 19-5 while freshman foil Claudia Carcamo had 11 wins and junior and sophomore sabres Kathleen Konno and Lily Elbaum each had 10 wins.

The women will host the Matt Lampell Hudson River Invitational on Saturday at 10 a.m. in Walker Field House.

Men’s Fencing

On Sunday afternoon, Nov. 10, the men’s fencing team competed in the Vassar Invitational. Senior foil Matt Steinschneider and freshman epee Ry Farley each had 16 victories for the Brewers. The team went 3-4, beating Haverford College, Yeshiva University and Lafayette College. Freshman epee Jackson Dammann had three wins against Haverford, along with Farley. Senior sabre Kenny Lee won two matches over Haverford, while sophomore sabre Elam Coalson won all three of his matches. Junior foil Tre Artis also had three wins against both Lafayette and Yeshiva. Men’s fencing will host the Matt Lampell Hudson River Invite against Marist College, Rennsalear Polytechnic Institute, Bard College, University of Albany, Cornell University and State University of New York New Paltz this Saturday at 10 a.m. in Walker Field House.

Field Hockey

On Monday, various members of the women’s field hockey team earned Liberty League accolades. Head Coach Michael Warari and Assistant Coach Abigail Seward were both named Liberty League Coaching Staff of the Year. Senior goalkeeper and co-captain Maggie Brelis, senior forward Tina Caso and junior forward Lauren Wiebe were all named to All-Liberty League Second Team. Senior midfielder and co-captain Anna Schroeder, junior midfielder Enya Cunningham and senior co-captain and defender Catherine Fiore all received Honorable Mention.

Women’s Rugby

On Nov. 9, senior Margaret Kwateng led the team with five tries out of nine tries overall. The team also finished with three conversions, beating Colgate University. Sophomore wing Cierra Thomas had two ties, while sophomore Taylor Nunley and senior Dallas Robinson both had one. Women’s Rugby now advances to the Sweet 16 of the 2013 American Collegiate Rugby Championship Round on Nov. 16 and 17 at the Vassar College Farm at noon.

Men’s Rugby

The men’s rugby team beat Marist College  on Nov. 10 11-5, and the team will now advance to the Tri-State Conference Championship.

Women’s Soccer

Four members of women’s soccer earned Liberty League accolades this week. Junior Chloe Wheeler was named to the All-Liberty League First Team, and junior midfielder Sarah Bournenane was named to the All-Liberty League Second Team. Junior Lily Lanier earned Honorable Mention.

Men’s Soccer

Four players from men’s soccer earned Liberty League accolades earlier this week on November 11. Junior forward Tom Wiechert and seniors Juliano Pereira, Ryan Grimme and Evan Seltzer all earned the accolades. Wiechert earned a place on the All-Liberty League First Team after leading the team with 24 points. Pereira and Grimme earned spots on the All-Liberty League Second Team, while Seltzer earned Honorable Mention.

Women’s Volleyball

On Nov. 8, the women’s volleyball team competed in the Liberty League Semifinals, falling to No. 24 Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY. The final outcome was 3-0, and Clarkson had scores of 25-22, 25-13 and 23-17. Junior hitter Clara Cardillo had seven kills and three assisted blocks, while sophomore Chloe Hallum had 16 digs. Junior hitter Taylor Mosley had six kills, six digs and three assisted blocks. Senior setter Rose Carman finished her senior season with 22 helpers and five digs. This season marks the fifth consecutive year that women’s volleyball has finished with at least 17 wins. On Monday, the Liberty League released its All-Liberty League teams, naming junior Mosley and senior Carman to second team. Junior Cardillo and sophomore Hallum both made it to the Honorable Mention list.