Director of athletics resigns after ten years with College

Dr. Sharon Beverly, the Director of Athletics and Physical Education at Vassar College, recently resigned from her position to pursue other opportunities. Beverly has worked for Vassar for 10 year. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics
Dr. Sharon Beverly, the Director of Athletics and Physical Education at Vassar College, recently
resigned from her position to pursue other opportunities. Beverly has worked for Vassar for 10 year. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics

Vassar Athletics Program Director Dr. Sharon Beverly recently resigned from her post as Director of Athletics and Physical Education at Vassar College to accept the position as the new assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Executive Director of Athletics and Recreation at The College of New Jersey in Ewing, NJ. Beverly made history during her time at Vassar as the first female athletic director at Vassar College.

In 2010, she was the recipient of the ECAC Woman Administrator of the Year Award. She oversaw the $11 million renovation of Prentiss Field, turning it into the premier place for Vassar athletics. Under Beverly’s leadership, the department has grown to include seven new full-time coaches, including our first full-time Strength & Conditioning Coach, additional assistant coaches and administrative support. She also fostered the addition of both men’s and women’s track to the department, with both programs debuting in 2008. In addition, she was selected by Dr. Charlotte Westerhaus, Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion for the NCAA, as one of four athletics directors to redesign of the NCAA Fellows Program. In 2009, Beverly was a selected panelist for the Women of Color Symposium, sponsored by the NCAA and the Black Women’s Sports Foundation.

Women’s Basketball

This week in women’s basketball, the team went up against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on the January 28. The beginning of the match started off relatively even, with both teams scoring 15 points within the first few minutes of the game. Vassar then went on a 19 point streak, extending their lead to 34-17. By the halfway point, the Brewers were up 44 to RPI’s 23 points. Vassar continued to hold the lead for the remainder of the game, winning in the end with a total score of 81-60. Senior Cydni Matsuoka connected on seven of her 14 shots from the field, bringing her total points to 17 by the end of the match. Junior Allyson Pemberton scored a career high 17 points during the match, tying Matsuoka for the most points from a player that game. The Brewers will take the next week off before returning to the road for a Liberty League match-up with Bard College on Tuesday, February 9.

Co-ed Squash

On Jan. 25, Vassar’s men’s and women’s squash teams faced the Haverford College Fords at the Kenyon Hall Squash Courts. The team lost the match 0-9 after tight matches between players. Senior team captain Ricardo Espinosa played a tight four set match, winning the third 11-9, but eventually losing the match one set to three. Freshman female player Carly Scher matched her opponent point for point in three tight sets, losing all three by two points. However, her next match was a win against opponent Amanda Georgesco. She won in four sets, losing the first but picking up the last three. The squash team will compete next on February 2 against Fordham University and New York University in Bronx, NY.

Men’s Basketball

The men’s basketball team at Vassar College continued to add to their winning record on January 24 with a win against Clarkson University. Vassar won the game 69-51, bringing their total match wins compared to losses to 10 to 2. Junior forward Alex Synder led three other Brewers in double-digit scoring with his 17 points. Sophomore guard Johnny Mrlik, sophomore guard Erikson Wasyl and junior guard Curtis Smith had 16, 15 and 13 points, respectively, following Snyder. The match remained tight into the half, with Vassar up 29-25. The Brewers then went on a 15 point run, bringing the team to the biggest lead of the match at 44-28.

Men’s Volleyball

Vassar’s men’s volleyball team suffered a tough loss this past week, losing to Baruch College on Jan. 24 in four tight sets. The Brewers lost one set to three. The opening set was back-and-forth over the first 20 points, but the visiting Bearcats used an 8-2 run to take control of the first set. Vassar would pull to within four points from the lead on four different occasions, but Baruch posted the last three points of the game to earn a 25-18 set victory. Vassar came back to win the second set 26-24 after an ace serve from senior captain Joe Pyne. In the fourth set, the Brewers took an early lead, but Baruch ended up winning the set with 25 points compared to the Brewers 23. Vassar College now looks to take on Hudson Valley rival school New Paltz in their next match in the first United Volleyball Conference match of the season for both teams.

Swimming and Diving

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving team held a home match against the New York University on Jan. 25 this past week. Both the men’s and the women’s team lost to NYU. The women’s team lost 101-193 while the men’s team 103-186. Junior Luc Amodio and freshman Chris Cerutti got a solid time on the 100 yard backstroke with times of 56.22 and 59.43, respectively. They ended up pulling out second and third place during the meet. The Brewers will look to take on multiple teams at the Vassar Sprint Invitational. The tournament will be held on this upcoming Sunday, Feb. 2.