Men’s basketball defeats Liberty League opponent RPI

The men’s basketball team enjoyed a free weekend after beating out opponent RPI 100 to 83. Sophomore Erikson Wasyl scored 21 points, and Johnny Mrlik had 17. Junior Alex Snyder had 15 points. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics
The men’s basketball team enjoyed a free weekend after beating out opponent RPI 100 to 83.
Sophomore Erikson Wasyl scored 21 points, and Johnny Mrlik had 17. Junior Alex Snyder had 15 points. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics

Co-Ed Squash

This weekend, the Brewers traveled to New York City in order to face both Fordham University and New York University. The Brewers first played against host Fordham University, falling 8-1 to the Rams. The only Brewer victory came from junior Noah Kulick, who defeated Ray Chen in four games. This was Kulick’s first collegiate victory. Sophomore Ben Kurchin also picked up a game for the Brewers at the No. 8 spot. The Brewers were unable to gain a victory against NYU and fell 9-0 on the day. The women picked up a 6-2 win against NYU in an exhibition match. Junior Karina Primelles won 3-0 at the No. 1 spot, and No. 2 freshman Carly Scher won in four. Junior newcomers Roxanne Ringer and Margaret Walter also picked up wins against NYU. The team will next host the inaugural Hudson Valley College Team Tournament this Saturday. February 8 at 10 am in Kenyon Hall.

Men’s Basketball

This weekend, the men’s basketball team had a rare weekend off. It was a great reward after their hard-fought won against Liberty League opponent RPI on Tuesday evening. The Brewer men defeated RPI 100-83. It was the first time since November 2011 that the men had scored 100 points in a game. Junior forward Luka Ladan lead the Brewers with a career-high 26 points. Sophomore Erikson Wasyl scored 21 and went 4-of-5 from beyond the 3 point arc. Sophomore Johnny Mrilk, named to Liberty League Honor Roll this week, had 17 points. Junior Alex Snyder had 15 and freshman Otis Osman added 10 from the bench. The Brewers are now 14-3 overall and 6-2 in Liberty League play.

Women’s Basketball

The women’s team also had a weekend off after defeating RPI 81-60 in Liberty League play Tuesday evening. The Brewers put four players in double figures. Sophomore Caitlin Drakeley had a team-leading 18 points and 13 rebounds. She was 5-of-10 from the floor and nailed both her shots from the three-point line. She also had four assists and three steals. Senior Cydni Matsuoka had 17 points. Junior Alyssa Pmeberton had a career high 17 points. Senior Hannah Senftleber had 11 points and seven boards. Junior guard Michelle Foreman added nine points off the bench for the Brewers. The women will next play Bard Tuesday, February 8th at Bard College.

Men’s Fencing

The men’s fencing team traveled to New Haven Saturday morning to compete against Yale University and Drew University. The men’s sabre squad went 6-3 against the Bulldogs but, in the end, the Brewers were unable to pull out the win, going 11-16. Senior Johnny Arden and sophomore Zach Wilson both went 2-1 in sabre. Senior Kenny Lee and sophomore Elam Coalson both pulled out a win as well. In epée, freshmen Ry Farley and Jackson Dammann both went 2-1. The Brewers then defeated Drew University 21-6. In foil, senior Gio Zaccheo and junior Tre Artis each pulled out two wins. Arden led the squad with four wins while Wilson and Dammann each had three.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

The Vassar men hosted the Vassar Sprint Invitational on Sunday afternoon. The Brewers placed second on the day. The men finished just a single point 425-424 above Skidmore College. SUNY New Paltz came first with 432 points on the day. The Brewers’ 200 Yard Medley Relay team of junior Luc Amodio, junior Matt Weiss, freshman Ian Quinn and sophomore Greg Cristina had a first place finish. Amodio also placed first in the 100 yard Backstroke. Weiss won the 50 yard Breaststroke. Freshman Anthony Walker set a new school record by winning the 100 Yard Butterfly and broke the meet record in his first place 50 Yard Fly finish. Cristina won the 100 Yard Freestyle. The men will next compete at the UNYSCSA Championships Wednesday, February 19th in Ithaca, NY.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

The Brewer women placed second out of six teams at the Skidmore College Sprint Invitational with 384 points. The 100 Yard Breaststroke was an incredibly successful event for the Brewers. Freshman Julia Cunningham, sophomore Anna Kuo, senior McKenzie Quinn, freshman Julia Wieczorek, senior Robin Lam and freshman Kayla Schwab combined for 47 points. Schwab and Kuo both had in-season bests. Sophomore Maya Pruitt won the 3 Meter diving event with 209.55, just 1.36 points away from a personal best. Cunningham won the 400 Yard Individual Medley and the 100 Yard IM. The 200 Yard Freestyle Relay Team of freshman Leah Pan, sophomore Lily Frye, junior Olivia Harries and junior Elizabeth Balter finished second overall. The Brewers will next compete in Ithaca, NY Wednesday February 19th at the UNYSCSA Championships.

Men’s Volleyball

The men’s volleyball team almost pulled off an upset of No. 4 New Paltz but fell just short in the UVC opener. Sophomore Reno Kriz had 20 kills and seven digs. Senior Joe Pyne hit .345 on the night, had six digs and two aces. Sophomore middle Erik Halberg had six kills and two blocks. Junior Colin Fearn-Johnson had 10 digs. The Brewers next split a pair of matches last weekend, defeating Elms College in three games and falling to Ramapo College in four this past Saturday. Freshman setter Quinn Rutledge had 22 assists. The Brewers will be back in UVC action next Saturday in Boston, taking on Nazareth College and D’Youville College at MIT.