Men’s and women’s fencing place high in tournament

Both the Vassar men’s and women’s fencing teams placed well in their recent tournament, only losing one match per team. As the season comes to a near close, the teams will next go to South Hadley, MA. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics
Both the Vassar men’s and women’s fencing teams placed well in their recent tournament, only losing
one match per team. As the season comes to a near close, the teams will next go to South Hadley, MA. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics

Co-ed Squash

The Brewers recently competed at the Hudson Valley College Team Tournament, where they faced off against three teams to take a runner up finish in the tournament. The first match that the Vassar College Squash team went up against was the team from Siena College. Senior co-captains Ricardo Espinosa and Kiet Phun both delivered wins. Espinosa, at No. 1, defeated Siena’s Matt Eliseo at a neat 11-3, 11-4, 11-6 and Phun brought down Jake Hebert in the No. 2 spot for a final score of 11-7, 11-8, 11-3. Sophomore Ben Kurchin clinched his first win of 2014 against Siena’s Sean McKenna in the No. 7 spot, defeating his opponent in only three games for a final score of 12-10, 11-7, 11-5 and breaking his losing streak to bring his team to victory. Fellow sophomore Tim Viet stumbled in his first game against John Schoonmaker in the No. 6 position before turning around to win the next three consecutive games 10-12, 11-1, 11-7, 11-4. Rounding out the morning’s matches was sophomore Juan Fernandez in position No. 4. This was only Fernandez’s second victory out of 17 matches played this season. He beat out Siena’s Jarret Bodo by hair in each of his matches for a score of 11-8, 11-9, 11-7. Vassar beats Siena 6-3. The second match of the day was a semi-finals match against Gettysburg College. Vassar beat out Gettysburg 8-1, with freshman female player Carly Scher taking her first win of the tournament after losing a close match against Siena College. In the finals, the Brewers eventually fell 1-8 against Fordham College. The team will now look towards their final competition of the season, that being the CSA Team Championships, to be held in Boston, Mass. this upcoming weekend.

Men’s Fencing

This past weekend, the men’s fencing team participated in the New Hampshire Invitational. The tournament consisted of five matches. The Brewers fell to Sacred Heart University 21-6 to start the day, but came back to knock off host University of New Hampshire 18-9, Dartmouth College 19-8, Boston University 19-8 and University of Massachusetts 17-10. In the match with Sacred Heart, Vassar’s senior Matt Steinschneider picked up a pair of wins, and the sabre squad was 3-6, but SHU was too much for VC. The Brewers rallied nicely by getting a very solid 8-1 result out of its sabre team against New Hampshire. Zach Wilson was 3-0 in sabre, while senior Kenny Lee used the same weapon to go 2-0. Junior Tre Artis was 2-0 against UNH in foil, while Bobby Maiocco added a pair of victories at épée. In the 19-8 triumph over Dartmouth, Vassar was 8-1 at sabre and 9-0 in foil, as Steinschneider, Artis and senior Giovanni Zaccheo were each 3-0. Senior John Arden and Wilson were 3-0 in sabre, while sophomore Elam Coalson was 2-0 as well. Against Boston University, the foil team again stepped up as the same trio from before earned six wins. Coalson switched from sabre to épée for that match, and won twice, while Lee, freshman Clayton Marr and freshman Ry Farley each won at sabre. Against Massachusetts, Arden continued his strong comeback with three more wins at sabre, and Steinschneider chalked up three more victories. In the afternoon, Steinschneider ran his season record to 70-25 thanks to going 11-1 on Saturday. Artis finished 9-4 in the foil, and Arden added an 8-2 record at sabre for the Brewers. Wilson, who came into the match as the team’s winningest sabre fencer on the year, upped that mark with an 8-3 day. VC is off until the New England Championships on February 22 in South Hadley, Mass.

Women’s Fencing

The women’s fencing also had a successful tournament at the New Hampshire Invitational. Out of a total of six matches, the team would end up winning five, performing in top form at the invitational. Vassar College fell in its first outing of the morning, dropping a 21-6 decision to Sacred Heart University. They came back to knock off New Hampshire 16-11. Vassar followed that up with wins Dartmouth College (16-11), Boston University (18-9), Wellesley College (15-12) and University of Massachusetts (16-11). The freshman duo of freshman Elsa Stoff and freshman Olivia Weiss both earned two wins against Sacred Heart to start the afternoon. In the next match with New Hampshire, sophomore Lily Elbaum earned three victories with the sabre, and Stoff and Weiss each cashed in three wins as well. Freshman Claudia Carcamo was 2-0 in foil, and sophomore Rachel Messbauer went 2-1 with the épée against UNH. Vassar followed that up with another solid performance against Dartmouth, as the sabre team went 8-1. Junior Kathleen Konno and junior Anastasia Stevens each went an unblemished 3-0 in the match, while Elbaum was 2-1 for the sabre fencers. Weiss and Messbauer each went undefeated with three wins apiece against the Big Green. Vassar finished the day with a win over the University of Massachusetts, as Stoff and Carcamo led the way in foil with three more wins. Weiss finished off her amazing afternoon with three wins, while Messbauer was 2-1 and senior captain Noelle Sawyer went 2-0 in épée for VC. The afternoon saw Weiss creep closer to Stoff for the team wins lead, though Stoff wasn’t ready to give up without a fight. Weiss went 17-1 on the afternoon, winning her last 15 bouts, while Stoff was 15-3 for VC. Stoff now has posted an 85-29 season mark, while Weiss has a total of 80 victories opposed to just 23 losses. The Vassar College women’s fencing team will be traveling with the men’s team for the next tournament to be held on Feb. 22 in South Hadley, Mass.