Women’s basketball moves into post-season playoffs

The women’s basketball team recently won a match vs. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on February 18 with a final score of 80-64. The win led the Brewers to earn a spot in the league’s post-season play. Photo By: Vassar College
The women’s basketball team recently won a match vs. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on February
18 with a final score of 80-64. The win led the Brewers to earn a spot in the league’s post-season play. Photo By: Vassar College

Co-ed Squash

The co-ed squash team traveled to Northampton, Mass. to compete in the Collegiate Squash Association Championship (CSA), but ultimately fell to the University of South Carolina (USC) 7-2. Junior David Garfinkel earned the first win of the day against USC’s Rishabh Shah. To end the season, the team went 6-3 vs. Siena College at the CSA championships. Co-captain and senior Ricardo Espinosa finished 3-0 in the No. 1 spot, while senior co-captain Kiet Phun went 3-0 in the No. 2 spot. Senior Alan Darer also went 3-0 at the No. 5 spot.  The team finished in third place at the tournament. The final season record was 5-14.

Men’s Basketball

The men’s basketball team finished 71-67 on Feb. 15 on against Skidmore College. On its senior day, the team went 73-70 vs. the Union College Dutchmen with help from sophomore guard/forward Johnny Mrlik. In the final home game of the season vs. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the team won 107-89—the first time in school history that men’s basketball team has beaten two Liberty League teams with over 100 points on the scoreboard. Mrlik had a season-high 30 points, eight rebounds, four assists, four blocks and one steal. Mrlik was named to the Liberty League Honor Roll on Feb. 17. Sophomore Erikson Wasyl started off strong with a layup, propelling the team forward. The largest lead in the game came from senior Alex Snyder and Mrlik, who had back-to-back layups. The men next travel to Canton, NY to compete against St. Lawrence University at 8 p.m.

Women’s Basketball

On Feb. 14, the women’s basketball team went 73-67 in an overtime meet vs. Liberty League opponent Skidmore College. Sophomore guard Caitlin Drakeley was crucial to the team, gaining five points and a three-pointer to end overtime. Drakeley also earned a spot on the Liberty League Honor Roll on Feb. 17. The next day, the Brewers hosted Union College for its senior day. The team went 67-63, helped by senior Cydni Matsuoka’s team-high 20 points. On Feb. 18, the team had a strong second half vs. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and won 80-64. In the last minutes of the game, Matsuoka had a pair of free throws. She has scored 776 regular season points thus far—the most in the Vassar history books. The team therefore earned a post-season Liberty League tournament spot. The team will next travel to Canton, NY to play St. Lawrence University at 6 p.m.

Men’s Cross Country

Freshman Alfredo Mazzuca was named to the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCA) All-Academic honoree list. Mazzuca has earned Liberty League Rookie of the Week four times, and finished in 35th place at the Atlantic Regional tournament, which qualified him for the title.

Women’s Cross Country

Senior Aubree Piepmaier also earned the USTFCCA All-Academic honoree list after finishing in the top 35 at the Atlantic Regional tournament. Piepmaier is a double major in Religion and Political Science.

Men’s Fencing

On February 17, the Northeast Fencing Conference (NFC) released its 2013-2014 All-Star teams. Senior co-captain Matt Steinschneider of Fairfield, CT was named to the list on second team accolades, finishing fifth in foil standings with an individual record of 70-25.

Women’s Fencing

Freshman épée fencer Olivia Weiss of Pittsburgh was named to the first team after going 31-5 in the conference. She lead the épée squad to a 201-129 record.

Men’s Lacrosse

On Feb. 13, the Liberty League released its preseason poll. The Vassar College men’s lacrosse team was ranked seventh in the poll, as announced by League Commissioner Tracy King. Last year, the Brewers ended the season with a 3-11 overall record. The team will jump-start its season on March 1 in a match against Manhattanville College in Purchase, NY.

Women’s Lacrosse

The Liberty League released its preseason poll last week. According to Tracy King, the team is ranked fifth in the Liberty League. The team currently holds five All-Liberty League team players. The women’s lacrosse season kicks off on March 12, and the team will travel to Denver, CO for a match vs. Regis University. While away, the team will also play Colorado College on March 14, and Denison University on March 16 in Colorado Springs, CO.

Men’s Volleyball

The men’s volleyball team traveled to Boston, MA on Feb. 18 for the Emerson College Tri-match. The team dropped a match vs. Endicott College 25-19, 25-16 and 25-18. The team also lost a match vs. host school Emerson College 26-24, 26-24, 22-25, 25-23. Senior co-captain Joe Pyne provided seven terminations along with sophomore co-captain Reno Kriz. In its most recent match vs. Hunter College on Tuesday. The team won with scores of 25-19, 25-15 and 28-26. The team will next travel to Troy, NY to compete against Sage College on Friday at 7 p.m. for non-conference play.