Men’s Basketball earns Liberty League playoff spot

Senior co-captain Evan Carberry is a member of the Vassar men’s basketball team. The team has earned a Liberty League playoff spot and will be vying for the championship later in the season. Photo By: Katie de Heras
Senior co-captain Evan Carberry is a member of the Vassar men’s basketball team. The team has
earned a Liberty League playoff spot and will be vying for the championship later in the season. Photo By: Katie de Heras

Men’s Basketball

On Feb. 21, the men’s basketball team clinched a Liberty League playoff spot, the first since 2007-08. The 76-58 win over St. Lawrence also marked the first time in program history that the team has won 10 league games. Sophomore Johnny Mrlik had a huge second half, scoring 12 of his 17 points. Sophomore Erikson Wasyl had 13 points, while senior Evan Carberry had 12. The next day, the team fell to Clarkson University in overtime with a final score of 77-75. However, the team still managed to clinch th No. 2 spot for league playoffs. The team will move into Liberty League playoffs on Wednesday, Feb. 27. The team will compete against Skidmore College at 8 p.m. in the AFC gym.

Women’s Basketball

On Feb. 20, the NCAA released its regional rankings, naming the women’s basketball team No. 2 in the East Region. At an away game vs. St. Lawrence University on Feb. 21, the team fell 75-66. However, senior co-captain Cydni Matsuoka had a game-best of 27 points, while senior co-captain Hannah Senftleber had a team-high of three steals. One day later, the team came back in a match vs. Clarkson University, clinching its No. 2 spot. Matsuoka matched her game-best 27 points, and the final score of 66-60 marked the end of the team’s regular season. It also marked the team’s 20th victory of the year, for the second year in a row. The Brewers will move into postseason play on Wednesday, Feb. 26 vs. William Smith College. The game will take place in the AFC gym at 6 p.m.

Men’s Fencing

On Feb. 21, men’s fencing traveled to Madison, N.J. for a match vs. Drew University. Senior John Arden has three wins for sabre, while senior Nico Mongillo and junior Roberto Malocco led the Brewers past Drew in épée. The next day, the team competed in the New England Intercollegiate Fencing Conference (NEIFC) championships on Feb. 22. The sabre squad took third place in the event, while senior John Arden and sophomores Zachary Wilson and Elam Coalson all qualified for semifinals. Coalson finished fourth in a pool of six fencers. The team will next compete in the Northeast Regional Qualifiers on March 9 in Wellesley, Mass.

Women’s Fencing

At the NEIFC championships on Feb. 22, freshman foil Elsa Stoff placed fifth in her weapon. Stoff holds the only winning record in her squad at 85-29. The women’s team will travel to Wellesley on March 9 for the Northeast Regional Qualifiers.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

On day two of the UNYSCSA championships on Feb. 20, the men’s swimming and diving team finished in 10th place out of 14 teams. Junior Luc Amodio, sophomore Greg Cristina and freshmen Anthony Walker and Ian Quinn finished seventh in the 200 Freestyle Relay. Amodio, Walker and Cristina also finished seventh, along with junior Matt Weiss, in the 400 Medley Relay. Walker finished 12th in the 100-Yard Butterfly. The next day, Amodio broke his school record in the 100 Backstroke and earned an NCAA B-Cut. Freshmen Anthony Walker, Vince Palladino and Chris Cerutti, along with sophomore Isaiah Hale, finished 10th in the 800-Yard Freestyle. On day three of the championships, the team finished in ninth place out of fourteen teams, and had 334 points. Stevens Institute of Technology took first with 1,412 points.

Men’s Tennis

On Feb. 22, the men’s tennis team had a 5-4 win over No. 20 ranked North Carolina Wesleyan College. Sophomore co-captain Christian Phelps had a standout performance, ousting No. 3 Ben Tolhurst 6-3, 6-7 and 7-5. This win marks the first time the Brewers have beat out a national opponent since last year’s NCAA championships vs. Marywood University. Phelps teamed up with sophomore co-captain Daniel Cooper to win 8-1 in No. 1 doubles. The team will next compete against Brandeis University on March 1 at 1 p.m. in Walker Field House.

Women’s Tennis

In an 8-1 win over Muhlenberg College on Feb. 22, sophomore Kelsey Van Noy beat Sharon Resnikoff in singles, leading the Brewers to the win. Van Noy and freshman Emily Hallewell won at No. 2 singles, winning 8-6. Junior Samantha Schapiro and freshman Shayna Becker had an 8-1 victory at for No. 1. Women’s tennis will next compete against Liberty League opponent Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs on March 1 at 2 p.m.

Men’s Volleyball

The men’s volleyball team won an easy match vs. Sage College on Feb. 21  3-0. Sophomore Reno Kriz had 14 kills, five service aces and four digs. Senior Joe Pyne had nine kills and six digs, while junior Colin White-Dzuro had three assisted blocks, five digs, nine kills and 15 helpers. Freshman Colin Peros added 21 assists off the bench, while freshman Trey Cimorelli had nine digs. On Feb. 22, the team moved on to play No. 10 MIT in Cambridge, Mass. The team ultimately fell 3-0. However, Pyne had 11 kills and 11 digs. White-Dzuro had a game-high of 34 assists, seven digs and four aces. Freshman Christian Lizana had three kills and six digs. The team will next play New York University in New York City on Feb. 27 at 7 p.m.