Women’s lacrosse faces tough competition in Colorado

The women’s lacrosse team, including sophomore Isabelle Goldstein pictured above, spent their spring break playing in Colorado Spring, Colo. The team went 2-1 on the trip and 4-1 over the break. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics
The women’s lacrosse team, including sophomore Isabelle Goldstein pictured above, spent their
spring break playing in Colorado Spring, Colo. The team went 2-1 on the trip and 4-1 over the break. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics

The women’s lacrosse team spent their spring break training and playing in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The team went 2-1 on the trip and 4-1 over the break. Overall the trip was very successful with the team dropping just one game, their season opener against a DII Regis University. Colorado was a different locale than their usual spring break trip. The team has gone to Florida in the past, but Colorado provided tougher competition and a great change of pace for the Brewers.

The women began their trip by dropping their season opener to Regis University 19-8. Despite the loss, the Brewers saw strong play from many of its attackers. Junior Dara Davis had the game high for the Brewers, netting four goals off of just nine shots. Sophomore Izzy Goldstein scored two goals out of her three shots and freshman Julia Trudell scored her first two collegiate goals while also ending with a perfect shot percentage. The Rangers took an early lead against the Brewers, ending the half 11-3 after scoring six in a row. The Brewers quickly rebounded and had a five-goal scoring run spurred on by Davis and Goldstein. The Brewers managed to bring the game as close as 11-8. The Brewers scored on three of their eight free positions with Davis scoring on two of three. Junior captain and defender Jacqueline Palma forced a team-high three turnovers and three ground balls. The Brewers won 16 to Regis’ 13 draw controls with Davis winning a game-high seven.

The Brewers certainly found Regis their stiffest competition. Despite the loss, senior Catherine Fiore was proud of her team’s efforts and found the game helpful for their overall season. In an emailed statement, she expressed the intensity of the level of play they faced. “The competition we faced was high. All the teams we faced were skilled. The DII team was the most difficult game so far, that was a learning experience in itself and prepared us for the rest of the season.”

The women immediately rebounded from their loss and picked up a 15-8 victory against the Tigers of Colorado College. Four separate players had three or more goals on the game. Davis was four for four on free position shots. Goldstein also had four goals. Trudell had her first collegiate hat-trick. The Brewers came out strong, scoring the first five goals of the game. Botticelli had a strong game for the Brewers, picking up five ground balls.

To conclude their trip, the Brewers pulled out a 16-11 thriller against Denison University. The Brewers had a strong first half with 10 goals. They were five of seven on free positions. Davis was two of three once again, scoring four goals in total. Goldstein also scored four and had two assists. Davis had a game-best four ground balls as well. Junior Kate Pula had an impressive game stopping nine of 20 shots on goal from Denison. She was also 14 of 18 on clearing attempts. The Brewers caused 13 turnovers and led with a 17-12 draw control advantage.

Fiore was incredibly pleased with the impact the trip had on her team both on and off the field. “It helped our fitness level for sure. The altitude was rough. We spent a lot of time hiking and just enjoying each other’s company.” Despite the success of the trip, Fiore did not feel that her team had hit their best yet. “I feel really strongly about our potential, we have definitely not yet peaked. As we continue to grow and work outside on the turf, we will improve our cohesion and level of play.”

Trudell also felt that the trip impacted her team’s ability to adapt and play against anything. “Going to Colorado not having really played outside was definitely tough but I think we adjusted well. Seeing as we are a very adaptable team I think we can play in just about anything against anyone. We’ve got some competitive games ahead of us, but I’m feeling optimistic.”

After Colorado the Brewers came back and won two games before ending the break. The first was against Mount Saint Mary College. The Brewers earned a 19-7 victory with a strong offensive showing. Both Davis and Trudell had 5-point showings with three goals and two assists. Goldstein chalked up four assists, tying her career best. Davis, Goldstein, Trudell, sophomore Kim Mulvehill and freshman Brittany Botticelli ‘17 all had two goals. Junior Sophia Rosetti and freshmen Sydney Spadinger, Darby Stahl and Phoebe Hankins all had a goal apiece. Junior goalie Hilary McDonnell earned the win playing the first half with two saves and four goals allowed. Sophomore goalie Mallory Tyler had four saves with two goals allowed in the second half.

The Brewers rounded out their spring break with a 13-4 win against College at Old Westbury. Mulvehil had 3 goals, Hankins had 2 goals and an assist, and junior Leigh Anne Baldwin had 2 assists and a goal in the victory. Spadinger and Trudell also netted a goal each with Trudell also adding an assist. The Brewers took a 4-0 lead with goals scored by Hankins, Baldwin, Mulvehill and sophomore Paige Abramowitz. Senior Nicole Magney, Palma, Fiore and junior Evie Toland all had their first goals of the season. Tyler had two saves and two goals and earned the win. Pula had one save and McDonnell made two.

The team has high hopes for the rest of the season. Trudell has been nothing but pleased with her team’s performance so far and holds only optimism going ahead. “Over the past few weeks, our team has definitely improved and I can see us only getting better.” Furthermore, she hopes her team captures a title this year. “I think as a team we share the same goal, winning liberty leagues.”

Fiore took that goal one step further. “To make it to the NCAA.”

The Brewers will open Liberty League play this Friday, home against Skidmore College at 4 p.m.