Men’s baseball pulls off crucial victory against Skidmore

Men’s Baseball

The Brewers had a 3-2 week, defeating Skidmore at home on April 2 and splitting a 4-game weekend series with Clarkson on April 5 and 6. Leading the way in the Skidmore victory were senior Brett Zaziski and sophomore Brooks English with two hits apiece. Senior Joe Lovizio earned the win, not allowing a run in his five innings on the bump. Over the weekend, Zaziski reached base eight times. Vassar received strong pitching performances from freshmen Adam Erkis and Trent Berg and sophomore Connor Cucalón. On the season, Zaziski is hitting a team high .500 with three home runs, one triple, eight doubles and 11 runs batted in. Johnson is batting .413 with nine doubles and 12 runs batted in. Sophomore Cory Wuenschell is hitting .414 with two homers, two doubles and 12 runs batted in. On the bump, the Brewers have arguably the best closer the Liberty League has seen in quite some time, in Cucalón, who has still yet to allow a run this season. Looking forward, the Brewers play at Skidmore College on Wednesday, April 9 and host SUNY Cortland for a double-header on Saturday, April 12.

Men’s Lacrosse

On April 2, the men’s lacrosse team defeated crosstown-foe Bard College 15-2. The team was led by four goals from senior Max Herman and three from junior Scott Brekne. Sophomores Colin Cederna and Shane Flattery each chipped in with two assists, as did freshman Liam Moriarty. The two game win streak came to an end on April 5 at St. Lawrence University. The Brewers were defeated 13-8. Junior Sean Brazier led Vassar with two goals and two assists, while Andrew Nicol held strong with 18 saves. On Tuesday, April 8, the Brewers defeated Drew University by a score of 9-8. Leading the way for the club were Cederna and Brazier with two goals apiece and Nicol with 14 saves in net. For the year, Herman leads the team with 26 goals. Herman also has the team lead in assists with 16, followed by sophomore Noah Parson with 12. Moriarty has won a team high 57 face-offs, followed by Brekne with 43. The Brewers play host to #1 nationally ranked Rochester Institute of Technology on Saturday April, 12.

Track and Field

Senior Aubree Piepmeier ran a terrific 5000m at the Sam Howell Invitational at Princeton University on April 4, qualifying her for ECAC Championships. Piepmeier is currently ranked 14th in the 1500m and second in the 5000m nationally. The following day, her teammates competed at the Fifth Annual Ramapo College Roadrunner Invitational. Junior Heather Ingraham ran a 12.71 in the 100m, placing third overall. Junior Ariel Bridges finished seventh with a time of 12.96. Junior Cassidy Carpenter won her 1500m heat and right behind her was sophomore Ava Farrell. Qualifying for ECAC’s was the 4×100 team consisting of juniors Bridges, Ingraham, Nina Andersen and sophomore Mollie Schear. Sophomore Sarah King qualified for ECAC’s as well, finishing second in the 3k steeplechase. The team next runs April 12 at the April Invite at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Men’s Volleyball

On April 3, the men’s volleyball team hosted New York University and was defeated in straight sets (17-25, 14-25, 17-25). In the match, senior Joe Pyne led the team with eight kills, junior Colin White-Dzuro led the team with 15 assists, and freshman Trey Cimorelli led the team with 10 digs.  On April 5, the team finished its season with senior day and sent its lone senior, Joe Pyne, off in fashion defeating Brooklyn College 3-0 (25-13, 25-23, 25-14). Later that afternoon, the team fell short to The State University of New Jersey Rutgers University-Newark (27-29, 25-22, 19-25, 22-25). For the day, Pyne had 35 kills, three aces, four blocks, and 14 assists. For the 2014 season, sophomore Reno Kriz led the team with 424 kills, followed by Pyne with 326. Kriz also had a team high 3.68 kills/set.

Women’s Lacrosse

On April 5, the women’s lacrosse team improved to 7-2 overall and 2-1 in Liberty League play with a 14-2 thrashing of Bard College. Junior Sophia Rosetti led the team with four goals, while junior Dara Davis had three and sophomore Kim Mulvehill also had three. Senior Nicole Magney and junior Isabelle Goldstein led the Brewers with two assists apiece. Junior Hilary McDonnell led the team with five saves. For the season, Davis leads the team with 24 goals, followed by Goldstein with 18. Goldstein leads the team in assists with 12, followed by Davis with five. The Brewers are away April 11 and 12, at William Smith and Union, respectively.

Women’s Tennis

The women’s tennis team improved to 3-1 in Liberty League play over the weekend with an impressive 9-0 win over the number 16 regionally ranked Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Engineers here at the Josselyn Tennis Courts. Victorious in singles competition for the Brewers were junior Samantha Schapiro, freshman Emily Hallewell, sophomore Winnie Yeates, senior Lindsay Kantor, sophomore Lauren Stauffer and freshman Shayna Becker. To complete the dominating team performance, the team received doubles victories from Schapiro and Becker, Hallewell and Yeates, and Stauffer and Kantor. The team next competes in the Seven Sisters Championships at Bryn Mawr on April 12.