Women’s lacrosse eagerly approaches season climax

Women’s lacrosse looks to win their last games in the season to move on to Liberty League finals. Isabelle Goldstein, pictured above,and her team currently hold a 9-4 record and League record of 4-3. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics
Women’s lacrosse looks to win their last games in the season to move on to Liberty League finals.
Isabelle Goldstein, pictured above,and her team currently hold a 9-4 record and League record of 4-3. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics

Currently, the women’s lacrosse team holds an overall record of 9-4, and is 4-3 in the Liberty League. With two games left in the season, the women’s lacrosse team has the ability to make it to the playoffs if they are able to win both of these games.

This past Friday, the team traveled to Potsdam, N.Y. to play Clarkson. The Brewers secured an 18-11 road win, and were led by junior Dara Davis who scored six goals. Sophomore Isabelle Goldstein had an impressive performance as well by scoring four goals and leading the team with two assists. On Saturday, April 19, the team traveled to Canton, N.Y. to play St. Lawrence University and won 7-5. Goldstein, along with senior Phoebe Tzannes, led scoring with two goals each. The Brewers were led defensively by junior goalie Kate Pula, who allowed only five of the fourteen shots on goal to score.

This entire year has been challenging, especially during the team’s trip to Colorado Springs over March break. Senior Captain Phoebe Tzannes wrote, “I think overall our season has been one of ups and downs. We’ve had some moments where we really came together as a team to accomplish something, and moments when we really weren’t playing up to our potential and knew it. These next few games it will be crucial that we continue to work hard and play at the level we should be playing at.”

Fellow senior captain Malena Harrang agreed that the beginning of this season has been powerful. “We’ve had a very intense season this year so far. We began our season over spring break in Colorado Springs,” she wrote in an emailed statement. “At an altitude of over 6,000 feet, it was definitely a challenge to acclimate. We won two games and lost only to a DII school. We did really well at the beginning of the season with out of league games. Liberty League games are always much more competitive. Although we lost to RPI, William Smith and Union, I felt great about the effort and fight we put up. They are the top three teams in the league and we had to play them for our first league games.”

The team has not let early struggles get the best of them. According to junior Dara Davis, the players will instead use their frustration over losses to motivate themselves to win these next four games and make the playoffs. “We’ve had a good season overall, but haven’t been getting the results we’ve wanted. We should have won more games, and this frustration is keeping us fired up and determined to win these last few Liberty League games.”

Although it has been tough, this season has left no shortage of memorable moments for the women’s lacrosse team. “Some of my favorite moments came during our trip to Colorado, when we played teams we had never played before and earned the wins by playing tough and together,” explained Tzannes. “Also, during the William Smith game, even when we were down by nine goals, we never gave up and fought back to a three goal deficit which says a lot about our work ethic and ability to bounce back after being dealt big blows. We could have easily given up and accepted the loss, but we fought until the very last second of that game, and I know that if we meet William Smith again, the outcome will be different.”

Senior Catherine Fiore’s favorite moment happened in a match against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute: “A standout game for me would definitely be RPI. Even though we lost, I felt the offense really came together during that game and I feel like we really saw our potential against on of the top teams in the country.”

Last year’s team went 11-3, before falling to RPI in playoffs. A few key players from last year graduated, but the upperclassmen are quite pleased with the current group. “The team this year is incredibly close knit, and I think most of us know how important these bonds will be even after graduation,” Tzannes wrote. “We all have a great time together, but we also push each other and expect a lot out of each other both as teammates and as friends.”

Harrang complimented the contributions of the freshman class, stating, “Although we lost some key seniors, many of the players are returners so we feel like we are just picking up from last year. Plus, we gained a great group of freshmen who were able to come in and immediately contribute on the field.”

The women’s lacrosse team is dedicated to improving, and the players work together. “First of all, we are all such good friends and sincerely like hanging out with each other,” wrote Harrang. “Even outside of practice, you’ll usually find us together. It’s always a good time. The second thing is that this is an incredibly self-motivated team. Everyone puts in extra hours of individual work, helps coach each other and makes it to Varsity gym regularly. I’ve been impressed by the culture of hard work every single year.”

The remaining games this season will be difficult, but fans can help them by showing their support and attending the games. Fans should especially try to come out for the final game on Saturday, April 26 against Rochester Institute of Technology, since the Brewers will host their Senior Day. “We’ve had an away season this year, which means that we only have four home games,” wrote co-captain Harrang. “Our last home games are April 25th and 26th, and we’d love for people to come out and support!”