Spring sports finish historic seasons

Maggie Sowa ’15 helped round out women’s track’s historic season this spring. The women’s track team broke four school records this past season and competed in the Liberty League Campionships. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics
Maggie Sowa ’15 helped round out women’s track’s historic season this spring. The women’s track team broke four school records this past season and competed in the Liberty League Campionships. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics

This spring season for Vassar athletics was one full of broken records, improved seasons, and all around impressive athletic ability. Many athletes had their first season with the Brewers, while another generation shared their last with their teams. Overall, most teams competed in the Liberty League Championships at the end of their seasons.

This year, the men’s baseball team improved vastly on last season’s record. They ended this season with a total of 19 wins compared to 14 losses, while their Liberty League total was 13 wins to 7 losses. During the Liberty League Championships, the Brewers lost two out of their three games, beating Clarkson University in their second match 4-2, while losing to Union College. With the release of the All-New York Region Squads, four baseball players were honored on the team’s Third Squad. Freshman hurler Adam Erkis was named as the Liberty League Pitcher of the Year as well as Liberty League First Team. Erkis earned a spot on the All-Region Second Team after he posted a 1.96 ERA and a 7-1 record, tossing a team-high 59.2 innings this season.

The men’s lacrosse team ended their season with a total of six wins and nine losses. Their Liberty League record for the season was one win compared to five losses. Two members of the team were named to the All-Liberty League selections.

Freshman Liam Moriarty earned a spot on the All-Liberty League Second Team as a midfielder while senior attack Max Herman earned a place amongst the Honorable Mention selections. Herman led the Brewers in points, goals and assists. Out of his 48 points, 29 were from scores and 19 were helpers. He played and started all 15 games this season with five games of five or more points, with only one game where he failed to score or be credited with an assist. On March 11, Herman earned his spot in the Vassar College record books when he surpassed the career-record for most points. He entered the game with 99 points while the top mark stood at 102. Herman compiled four goals and two helpers to claim the top rank of 105 points. He went on to add another 30 points to the career total.

The women’s team also had an impressive season, winning 11 total games and five losses. They won six out of nine total Liberty League games. Two student-athletes of the Vassar College women’s lacrosse team have been selected as members of the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA) 2014 Division III All-Regional Performers for the Empire Region on Monday afternoon. Junior Dara Davis joined the Empire Region as a First Team All-Regional attack. Senior Phoebe Tzannes joins her teammate as a midfielder on the Second Team. The pair are just two of the 256 student-athletes in Division III who were selected to the All-Regional teams for 2014 and are now eligible to receive honors on the National All-American teams with the announcement made on Monday, May 19. Tzannes was second on the team behind Davis with eight free position goals from 11 shots. Her 36 draw controls were second only to Davis while her 34 ground balls were second only to fellow captain and junior Jacqueline Palma. Tzannes forced 14 caused turnovers which was good enough for third on the team behind Palma’s 24 and junior Evie Toland’s 18.

The women’s track team had a historic season as well. In total, four school records were broken by athletes this year. Junior Ariel Bridges set a new record in the 100m and the 200m relays, with times of 12.55 and 25.46, respectively. Junior Heather Ingraham broke the record for the 400m with a time of 57.07. Finally, senior Aubree Peipmeier broke the record for the 5,000m relay with a time of 16:45.39. Both Ingraham and Peipmeier will be competing at the national championships after placing in the top 22 division III women’s track athletes in the country. Both of them placed comfortably in the top ten.

The team recently competed in the Liberty League championships in Rochester, NY. As a team, the Brewers finished fourth with 99 points, as St. Lawrence University took the team title with 218 points. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute had 149 points for second-place, and Rochester Institute of Technology was third with 119 points.

The men’s track team also recently competed at the Liberty League Championships. Senior Abe Gatling finished second in the 400 meter dash despite not running in the “fast” heat, and also finished second in the 200 meters and anchored the 4×400 meter relay that finished third. Junior Andrew Terenzi placed second in the 800 meter run, posting a time of 1:57.68. Freshman Alfredo Mazzuca finished third in the 10,000 meters, qualifying for ECACs with a personal and school record of 32:11.18. The 4×400 relay of Gatling, Terenzi, Dylan Manning and Gabe Fishman took third with a 3:28.61. Junior Eliot Gerson was fourth in the 1500 meter run with a 4:06.72, while Harry Feigen placed fifth in the 5000 meters, coming in with a time of 15:32.47. The men finished fifth overall with 48 points, while RPI took home the Liberty League Championship with 281.33 points. St. Lawrence (127), RIT (92) and Union College (54) rounded out the top five.

Rounding out the spring sports, the women’s golf team came in fifth place out of eight teams at the Liberty League Championships on April 26. Sophomore Aimee Dubois led the Brewers with an eight-over par performance on Sunday. The second half of Crumpin-Fox being a 72-par, 5,824-yard 18-holes, Dubois swung for a day two score of 80 and finishes the weekend with a 171 after her opening 91-stroke outing on Saturday. Her total score was enough for a sixth-place tie with New York University’s Paridhi Bhargava. Senior Paloma Jimenez had a solid day one showing but dropped 12 strokes from an 83 to a 95 for a combined 178 on Sunday. She finished ninth on the day. Sophomore Angela Mentel rounded out the top finishers for the Brewers with a 93 on Day two and totaled 184 strokes, which tied her for 14th with Wellesley College’s Jacqueline Lu.

At the end of the semester, the Vassar College athletics department hosted the annual Athletics Award Banquet this past Wednesday evening. Senior soccer player Juliano Periera was named the male recipient of the Matthew Vassar Outstanding Career Award, after having a successful four-year campaign on the men’s soccer pitch.

Senior basketball player Cydni Matsuoka was the female Matthew Vassar Award winner. A two-time Liberty League Player of the Year, Matsuoka has earned All-American accolades during two of her seasons, and also was the statistical champion this year in three-point percentage and free throw percentage in Division III.

Sophomore men’s basketball player Johnny Mrlik and junior women’s track member Heather Ingraham both earned the Betty Richey Performer of the Year award. Mrlik was a first-team All-Liberty League performer for the Brewers, helping lead Vassar to the conference championship after averaging 19 points per game. Ingraham currently has the nation’s top time in the 400 meter dash, and has qualified for the ECAC Championships in the 100 meters, 200 meters, 400 meters, 800 meters, 4×100 and 4×400 meter relays. Senior men’s fencer Matt Steinschneider and senior cross-country and track standout Aubree Piepmeier took home the 2013-14 Frances D. Fergusson Coaches Awards.