Brewer pride on the rise as teams begin historic seasons

14948529001_f7de147591_o
Vassar Athletics hopes to maintain their record-breaking streak this year with the support of student fans. (Photo courtesy of Vassar Athletics)

It’s late August again, and along with reuniting with friends, scrambling to secure books and materials and eating your first few meals on campus, it’s time for the fall sports season to begin. Last year was one of the most exciting and successful years in Vassar Athletics history.  With virtually every team achieving sustained success, there is even more of a reason to get out there and exhibit some Brewer Pride!

Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams were ranked regionally last fall in what was probably one of their strongest seasons ever. They look to open up their season strong here at the Vassar Farm where they will take part in the Marist College Invitational on August 30 at 10 a.m. The men’s and women’s rugby team will also look to build off successful fall and spring seasons last year that saw them both win their respective conferences and reach the National Championships. The women open away at Sacred Heart University but return to play Marist on September 14 at 11 a.m. The men too will open up on the road against the US Merchant Marine Academy but return to the Farm against Manhattanville College on the 14 at 2 p.m.

The men’s soccer team also looks to build off a strong season in 2013 that saw them go 8-5-5 with an appearance in the Liberty League Tournament.  They begin their season against Maritime College on August 29 at 3:30 p.m. at home on Gordon Field.  The women’s team kicks off their season later that day at home at 5:30 p.m. They too are looking strong after a 9-8-2 campaign (4-3-1 in the conference) an an appearance of their own in the Liberty League Tournament.  Men’s tennis opens up in Massachusetts on September 17 against the always tough Williams College and doesn’t return home for a match until October 1. They will play six matches or tournaments this fall before facing a spring season that builds to the Liberty League Championships.  Women’s tennis looks to build on their incredible success of years past as they finished last year ranked for the 13th time in 14 seasons and boast the number 12 recruiting class in the nation this year.  They too open in Williamstown but will return to Vassar the weekend of the 20th and 21st for the Vassar Scramble.

The women’s field hockey team had a historic season last year as they finished 11-7 and advanced to the Liberty League Tournament for the first time in school history.  They will play all nine of their home games before October 15th and open against Colby-Sawyer College at home on August 29 at 3:30 p.m..  Women’s Volleyball made it all the way to the Liberty League Tournament semifinals last year and looks to make a statement against Brooklyn College on September 1 at 11 a.m.

Fore! Women’s golf, looking to build on a fifth place finish in the Liberty League Tournament last spring will be at NYU on September 13.  Also looking to make a splash this fall are the men and women’s rowing teams. Stay tuned for their schedules.

Part of the beauty of Vassar is that it is a small school. Student athletes are everywhere at on campus: We eat with them at the Deece, study with them in the library and chill with them on the weekends. When you go to a game, you are not watching a future pro who will probably declare for the draft in a few months, but your friend from chemistry class.  All the more reason to come out to see a game, said women’s soccer player Lucy Brainerd ’16.

“Having fan support at games is what gives a team a boost at any low point in the game,” Brainerd said. “Whether it’s helping us pick our heads up after getting scored on, or giving us a push to score the game winner in the 90th minute, it’s all easier (and more meaningful) if we have fans.”

And even if you know absolutely no one on the team, get out there! The leaves are changing, the weather is crisp and breezy, and the company is great. These athletes may be representing our school when they play, but so are the fans. So go, cheer on your school and show some Brewer Pride. You may just have a great time.