Fall teams open dynamic season with invitational matches

Senior Clara Cadrillo looks to make a game-changing at the Vassar Invitational this past weekend. Vassar Women’s Volleyball Team looks to rebound from a tough weekend in their upcoming games. Photo: Vassar Athletics
Senior Clara Cadrillo looks to make a game-changing hit at the Vassar Invitational this past weekend. Vassar Women’s Volleyball Team looks to rebound from a tough weekend in their upcoming games. Photo: Vassar Athletics

Women’s Field Hockey

Field hockey has started the year off well by earning its fourth Betty Richey Invitational title by beating Manhattanville College 2-0 and Thomas College 4-0 this past weekend at Weinberg field. The Vassar defense, led by Liberty League Defensive Player of the Week senior Enya Cunningham, stifled both opposing college’s offenses to hold them to shutouts. Leading the way on the offensive side were junior Captain Lauren Wiebe, who was named to the Liberty League Honor Roll, and sophomore Hayley Beach, who combined to score four out of six of the Brewers’ goals this weekend. In search of more wins, they travel to Brockport, New York to play The College at Brockport 4 p.m. this Friday.

Women’s Volleyball

This last weekend, the College’s women hosted the VC Invitational. On Saturday, the Brewers played five well-contested sets against Ramapo College, but eventually lost in what was sure to have been frustrating after having played many five set games with similar results. In their second game of the day, the Brewers were defeated in straight sets to the eventual tournament champions, SUNY New Paltz. Despite the losses, senior Clara Cadillo shined throughout the weekend on her way to being honored. Come support Vassar women play at the AFC as they look to regain their composure this Saturday at 10 a.m. against Bryn Mawr College, as well as playing Smith, Mount Holyoke and Wellesley in the Seven Sisters Championship.

Women’s Rugby

This last Sunday, the women’s team traveled to Connecticut to play Sacred Heart University for their first game of the fall season. After shaking off the summer’s rust after a tough first half, the Vassar women toughened up the defense and showed why they finished as the third best Division II team in the nation last fall. Through the help of junior Anne Fritzon’s three tries and good distribution by sophomore flyhalf Mary-Margaret McElduff, they rebounded to run away with it 39-17. The women’s next game is at the Vassar Farm this Sunday at 11 a.m. against tough conference rival Marist College.

Men’s Rugby

For the men’s rugby team’s first game of the season, they traveled to King’s Point to play the United States Merchant Marine Academy in a non-conference game. On this hot, humid day the match was definitely not lacking for tries as 11 were scored. It was lacking in defense for both teams as the men lost 26-47 to a tough Division 1 opponent. After their tough first game that left many facets of their to be improved upon, the Vassar men hope to rebound against Manhattanville College at the Vassar Farm this Sunday at 2 p.m.. They hope to build some momentum before they begin facing new opponents in a newly restructured conference.

Women’s Cross Country

After a tough outing the weekend prior at the local Marist Invitational, the Vassar women captured the Ron Stonitsch Vassar Invitational this past Saturday over last year’s winners, local rival New Paltz. By running a time of 19:33.45 freshman Meaghan Wilcoxon captured the second fastest overall time and helped Vassar in beating New Paltz by a very close team margin of 29 seconds on their home course. Unfortunately, this is the last time that the women will be running through the familiar Vassar farm. In search of more room to stride it out, the Vassar women hit the road in what is to be a significantly longer trip than the last two weekends and head to Saratoga Springs this next Saturday at 10 a.m. for the Saratoga Invitational.

Men’s Cross Country

At home for the Ron Stonitsch Vassar Invitational this past Saturday, the Vassar men ran hard through their familiar trails that snake throughout the Vassar farm, but they just couldn’t escape the heat and pull away from the pack. They finished third out of six teams with the New Paltz men having earned the title as top team. Battling the heat and humidity, senior Elliot Gerson finished with a time of 20:38.08  to finish fifth as the top Brewer of the day. The season continues and the men’s runners hope that they will have a rejuvenated squad that leaves their opponents in the dust once injured teammates returns. The Vassar men hit the road and head to Saratoga Springs this next Saturday at 10 a.m. for the Saratoga Invitational.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team competed in the Steven’s Engineering Cup this past Sunday in a weekend filled with close, competitive matches. The Vassar women fought hard, but lost 1-0 against SUNY Cortland, in a game where scoring was elusive. Both defenses were stingy in a well defended game, until a score in the 74th minute that broke the tie. In another gritty game, the Vassar women lost 1-0 to host Stevens Institute of Technology. Junior goalkeeper Emma Nichols had a spectacular day with 13 saves, but the one that got away proved to be the dealbreaker. The Vassar Brewers travel to New York City this Saturday at 8 p.m. to face NYU and try to get back on track and gain some momentum.

Men’s Soccer

The Vassar men have been dominant at their home field so far this fall season and this weekend didn’t prove to be any different. In their second game of the Vassar Invitational, the Vassar Men exploded for five goals by five different players to beat Farmingdale State 5-1. The win gave them an overall record of 4-0-1. Through his great defensive play throughout the weekend, senior Captain Zach Nasipak earned Liberty League Defensive Player of the Week honors and junior Gavin Jennings was named to the Liberty League Honor Roll. They try to continue their winning ways against local Hudson Valley opponent SUNY New Paltz this Saturday at Gordon Field at 12 p.m.