Women’s tennis comes out on top in season’s first matches

15077729678_2614cc7131
Photo by: Vassar College Athletics

Cross Country

This past Saturday, XC traveled to Saratoga Springs to compete in a well-attended meet. The runners faced tough competition against nationally and regionally ranked opponents, including: NYU, Ithaca College, Hamilton, Union, St. Lawrence, The College of Saint Rose, Clarkson and hosts RPI.

The women were in fine form, and showed why they are a force to be reckoned with in the Liberty League this year, as they finished fourth on the 5k course. Freshmen Meghan Wilcoxon again finished as the top Brewer in 16th with a time of 18:05. The title of fastest Vassar men’s runner of the day went to senior Andrew Terenzi, who finished with a personal best time of 19:51 on this 6k course. That was good enough to finish 47th on this packed course. XC will be given a much deserved rest before they go to Williams College for the Williams Invitational on September 27.

Women’s Golf

VCWG was finally able to break out the clubs and swing away in their first competition of the new school year. This last Sunday, they traveled to the par-72 Spook Rock Golf Course for the NYU Invitational, where they finished ninth. The women were led by junior Aimee Dubois who finished 16th with a score of 79 to finish as the top Brewer. She was then followed by junior Angela Mentel who finished in 32nd place with a score of 88. Next up will be the Mount Holyoke College this Saturday with a tee time at 8 a.m.

Women’s Rugby

Tough local rival Marist College came to the farm this past Sunday looking for a repeat blowout win just like last fall, but their hopes were crushed as the Vassar women weren’t about to let that happen again. In the beginning, it looked like it was going to be a low scoring game, as no team was able to score for the first 15 minutes. Things quickly changed as the women’s team was led by strong performances from senior Cathleen Gould and junior Cierra Thomas ran around the competition and each scored two tries. Similarly to what the women experienced at the hands of Marist early last fall, the score was lopsided as they beat Marist 37-5. VCWR is off to a good start  and hope to gain some more confidence as they travel to SUNY  Cortland this Sunday at 12 p.m.

Men’s Rugby

VCMR hosted the recently restarted Manhattanville College rugby team this past Sunday, as they looked to rebound from their previous loss to the United States Merchant Marine Academy. The Manhattanville men were physical and fought hard, but they just couldn’t compete with the Brewers as the game quickly got out of hand with the score having been 52-0 at the half. Junior Stoddard Meigs had his best game yet as he contributed with three tries, and senior Erik Quinson finished with two tries as the men had a great day with an end score of 81-10. The Vassar men look to build on their momentum as they travel to face Sienna College this next Saturday at 5:30 p.m.

Women’s Soccer

This past Saturday, VCWS played a hard fought game against NYU. Defense ruled the game, as only one goal was scored. Freshman Katie Voegtlin broke the tie in the 38th minute, and that proved to be the game-winner for the Brewers. What was equally as instrumental in the win was junior Emma Nichols’ great day in front of the net. For her performance this past week, in which she had 12 saves, she was named to the Liberty League Honor Roll. VCWS look to be gaining some momentum as they are now 3-2 on the season. Next up for the Brewers is Manhattanville College, coming to Gordon Field at 2:30 p.m..

Men’s Soccer

The Vassar men played a tough team in SUNY Oneonta that was ranked fifth in the nation for Division III. The men put their undefeated streak on the line. SUNY Oneonta lived up to its ranking as they put the defensive pressure on the Vassar men with the end score being 4-1. Junior Elias Kim was finally able to break the shutout in the 84th minute with an assist from junior Gavin Jennings. Still in good shape, the Vassar men look to continue their winning ways against local opponents as they face SUNY New Paltz this Saturday at home at 12 p.m.

Women’s Tennis

This past weekend, the VCWT traveled to Williams College for the Lindsey Morehouse Invitational to kick off what will hopefully be a successful year. Sophomore Hannah Mcguire and freshmen Courtney Geiss started off their years well by going undefeated in all three of their matches.

Seniors Ava Sadeghi and Samantha Schapiro, as well as Courtney Geiss were named to the Liberty League Honor Roll for their outstanding play this past weekend. After getting a gauge of where they stand as a team, the women’s tennis team hopes to continue to shine at their home court this weekend on Saturday at 1 p.m. and Sunday at 9 a.m.

Women’s Volleyball

VCWV hosted the Seven Sisters Championship this past weekend at the AFC, and the Brewers stood out among the field. They played four games this weekend, and won three games in straight sets against Bryn Mawr, Smith and Mount Holyoke College.

The fourth game proved to be the one that got away, as a tough Williams team beat the Brewers in straight sets to end a successful tournament showing for VCWC. They have now improved to 5-6 as they have begun to build some momentum heading into their Liberty League games. Bard College and St. Lawrence University are up next this Friday for the Brewers.