Women’s rugby continues undefeated streak on the road

Freshman Katie Voegtlin led the women’s soccer team this past weekend to a blowout win over Manhattanville College 6-0. This performance earned her an ECAC Upstate Athlete of the Week honor. Photo By: Freshman Katie Voegtlin led the women’s soccer team this past weekend to a blowout win over Manhattanville College 6-0. This performance earned her an ECAC Upstate Athlete of the Week honor.
Freshman Katie Voegtlin led the women’s soccer team this past weekend to a blowout win over Manhattanville College 6-0. This performance earned her an ECAC Upstate Athlete of the Week honor. Photo By:  Freshman Katie Voegtlin led the women’s soccer team this past weekend to a blowout win over Manhattanville College 6-0. This performance earned her an ECAC Upstate Athlete of the Week honor.
Freshman Katie Voegtlin led the women’s soccer team this past weekend to a blowout win over Manhattanville College 6-0. This performance earned her an ECAC Upstate Athlete of the Week honor. Photo By: Vassar Athletics

Women’s Field Hockey

Coming off an overtime win versus Western Connecticut State, Vassar field hockey returned to Weinberg Field Saturday to take on Ramapo College. Both defenses held strong throughout the first period until Vassar broke through in the last seconds before the halftime whistle. The score came off a penalty corner put in the back of the net by junior Bianca Zarrella, her first goal of the year that was assisted by senior Enya Cunningham.

The Brewers would strike again and make the score 2-0 thanks to sophomore Hayley Beach who cashed in on another assist from Cunningham. The Vassar women’s field hockey will test their 7-1 record this Wednesday as they open up Liberty League play at home against RPI at 6 p.m.

Women’s Volleyball

Vassar women’s volleyball played four Liberty Leagues games over the weekend, winning a pair on Friday night against before dropping both games on Saturday. On Friday night, Vassar beat both Bard and St. Lawrence in straight sets. Senior leadership was key on Friday night as senior Clara Cardillo led the team in kills in both matches, 8 against Bard and 9 against St. Lawrence. While senior Taylor Mosley came through with the game-winning kill in a close win over St. Lawrence.

Vassar played against a RIT squad with a strong offense, winning the second set before losing the match in four games. Later that night, Vassar lost in straight sets to Liberty League leading Clarkson University. Clarkson is ranked 16th in Division III by the American Volleyball Coaches Association.

Men’s Soccer

Vassar men’s soccer was victorious this Saturday in a Hudson Valley showdown versus SUNY New Paltz, winning 1-0. Coming off a tough loss to Stevens Institute of Technology, Vassar took charge early as sophomore Noah Bloch scored off of a well executed pass from freshmen Reid Smith. The one goal was all that Vassar would need as the defense dominated and shutout the New Paltz Hawks. Vassar men’s soccer travels to New Jersey Wednesday night to test their 6-2-1 record versus Kean State University. Then on Saturday, they will open up their Liberty League schedule at home against RIT at 4 p.m.

Women’s Soccer

Vassar women’s soccer extended their winning streak to four games Saturday as they beat Manhattanville College 6-0. The Brewers went on an offensive attack as five different Brewers scored. Junior Kamaria Coley’s had two goals and McFarland had one goal and two assists. The Brewers have not allowed a goal since Sept. 10th’s win over Wesleyan. That is three consecutive shutouts, allowing the team to win by an overall margin of 10-0. Women’s soccer will look to keep the streak going as they take on League rival Skidmore at 2pm on Saturday at home.

Women’s Golf

Vassar Women’s Golf finished eighth in a field of 15 teams this passed weekend at the Mount Holyoke College Golf Invitational. The team chalked up a 700 total score in the two-day tournament at the Orchards Golf Club and improved from a score of 365 strokes Saturday to 335 on Sunday. Junior Aimee Dubois led Vassar’s efforts and hit a consistent 81 on both days of the tournament, bringing her to tie for 16th place overall. Women’s Golf tees off again next weekend as they head to Vermont to compete in the Middlebury College invitational.

Men’s Rugby

Men’s Rugby opened their Tri-State Conference schedule by traveling to Siena College and cruising past the new conference member 74-0. Siena quickly fell behind as they gave Vassar scoring opportunities off of penalties that the Brewers consistently capitalized on. Junior center Eli Vargas had a noteworthy performance with a team leading four tries.

Women’s Rugby

Women’s rugby persevered past a rough start Sunday to defeat SUNY Cortland 35-10 on the road. Even though Cortland scored off the very first kickoff and seemed to posses the momentum in the beginning of the game, Vassar fought hard and eventually gained control of the game. Junior Cierra Thomas continued her fall scoring campaign with two tries in the game to add to her 30 points this year as the leading try scorer for the women. Vassar women’s rugby travels to SUNY New Paltz this Saturday looking to turn their 3-0 record to 4-0.

Men’s Tennis

Vassar men’s tennis traveled to Geneva, New York this passed weekend to compete in the USTA/ITA Northeast Regionals. Sophomore Nick Litsky had an eventful outing, making it to the semifinals of the tournament and going 4-1 in singles for the weekend. Litsky was eliminated from the tournament in tough loss to Matthew Heinrich of Steven Tech who would eventually come in first place overall. Vassar men’s tennis begins Liberty Leagues Action this Saturday as they travel to Schenectady to take on Union College.

Women’s Tennis

This past weekend Vassar women’s tennis hosted the Vassar Scramble and excelled to 38-4 record in doubles and singles for the weekend. In doubles, Vassar was undefeated and the pairs went 14-0 against tough competition from NYU, Connecticut College, and SUNY New Paltz. In singles, Vassar went 24-4, and freshman Courtney Geiss, Dasha Ivenitsky, Kate Christensen, and sophomore Connie Yoo went a perfect 6-0 on the weekend. Women’s tennis looks to continue their success next weekend as they travel to William Smith College to compete in the ITA Northeast Regionals.