Women’s tennis dominates weekend regional competition

Junior Bianca Zarrella runs down the field past a Hartwick College defender, at the Sept. 30 game in which she scored within the first two minutes of play to give the Brewers the win. Photo By: Vassar Athletics
Junior Bianca Zarrella runs down the field past a Hartwick College defender, at the Sept. 30 game in which she scored within the first two minutes of play to give the Brewers the win. Photo By: Vassar Athletics

Women’s Tennis

The team started off a strong weekend at the ITA Northeast Regional Tournament with freshman Kate Christensen winning the singles championship with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over The College of New Jersey. She later earned a spot in the championships after winning the morning semifinals 6-2, 6-0. Sophmore Emily Hallewell also won her tournament defeating SUNY-Oneonta with a final 8-3. Seniors Samantha Schaprio and Ava Sadeghi were awarded with doubles team of the week. The Brewers in general finished 15-3 in finals and 7-4 in doubles this weekend. They will be competing this Saturday, Oct 4 for a doubleheader of Liberty League dual-meet action. Vassar College women’s tennis will face Union College  in Schenectady, NY in the morning and return to Poughkeepsie for a 4 p.m. match with Bard College in Joss Courts

Men’s Tennis

Evan Udine, a junior tennis player, won the Liberty League’s singles performer of the week. He won his No.2 singles match with a 6-1 6-3 win over Union College to help Vassar College with an 8-1 victory in their first Liberty League dual match of the year. He also won a victory in No.1 doubles over Union. Vassar  will be hosting Bard College at the Joss Tennis Courts on Oct 1 at 5 p.m.

Women’s Field Hockey

The Brewers are ready to keep their winning streak as they get ready for Tuesday’s home game against the Hawks of Hartwick College at Weinburg Field at 4 p.m. The Brewers are on a streak, winnning their last three away games and a 6-0 win at home this season. They are also coming off of a 2-1 win over Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute this recent week in the Liberty League Opener and the team hung on after the first two half goals for the win. Vassar College is getting ready to host a big Liberty League weekend as Williams, Smith College and Rochester arrive for Oct. 10 and 11.

Women’ Rugby

Travelling to Kingston on a balmy Saturday last weekend the Brewers beat their hosts, SUNY New Paltz, 91-5. With senior Meg Slattery, junior Cierra Thomas, and junior Darienne Thomas all scoring hatricks, and five others scoring one apiece, the game was a practice in offense. This Sunday, Oct 5, the Brewers will be facing off against University of Albany at 12 pm on Vassar Farm.

Men’s Rugby

The Brewers faced off against Rennsselaer Polytechnic Institute at the farm on Sunday. While RPI went ahead early in the game, Vassar College stuck it out and although they missed a few tackles, they were able to quickly respond with a try from senior Geoff Matthes. Vassar College gained good field position and followed senior Alex Voynow who scored his first hatrick.The Brewers then tied the game at 22-22 when senior Erik Quinson scored a try as he picked and went wide down the blindside. Senior Kenta Hasui also had a great game to add to his great season. Junior Eli Vargas ran strong lines faced with a strong defensive line, while Jesse Myhill played well in his second game at scrum half. Men’s Rugby looks to win at Union College 12:00 p.m. this Saturday, Oct. 4.

Cross Country

These Brewers traveled to Williams College this Saturday morning taking eighth at the Purple Valley Classic at one of the most competitive races for the Vassar College women’s cross country team. As a team, they earned 254 points. Freshman Meghan Willcoxon finished 23rd at 23.29.0 to finish atop of the Vassar lineup for the fourth straight race. Fellow freshman Oliva Martin finished 68th with a time of 24.34.6 in her first career of a 6k. Sophomore Laura MacDonald finished fourth in the VC lineup and 80th overall with a time of 24.46.5 and sophomore Lucy Balcezak finished 89th at 24:57.4. Senior Cassidy Carpenter also broke 25 minutes and took 91st place for the Brewers. Vassar XC will travel to Westfield, Mass. on Oct. 11 in the Westfield State Invitational.

The men’s team finished 10th place as a team for the with 354 points over the 8k course with three of the top five runners incoming for Vassar XC being freshman. Senior Andrew Terenzi was able to run a time of 28.18.8 taking 23rd and first in the VC lineup. Freshman Noah Trueblood also finished well, crossing the finish second for CV with a time of 28.40.8 and 108th overall. Fellow freshman Jack Yarosky then finished 111th overall with a time of 28.44.6.

Men’s Soccer

This recent Saturday, Sept. 27, Vassar College beat Skidmore in Liberty League Opener with a result of 2-1. With junior Nick Hess kicked the winning goal late in the second half and ending the stagnant tie, the team gains a confidence booster before heading into more road games in the later fall. Freshman Reid Smith also gained his first goal after a cross from fellow freshman teammate Alex Gonzales from the right wing after he cleverly snuck past Skidmore’s defenses. Gonzales also attempted a header which would have doubled their lead had the ball not dropped over the crossbar. Sophomore goalkeeper Adam Warner also recovered four saves. These Brewers will return to action on Gordon Field on Friday, Oct. 3 when the team hosts for RIT at 4 p.m.