Vassar teams continue strong showings in Liberty League

Sophomore defender Kelsey Hamm of women’s soccer clears the ball upfield for the Brewers. Hamm was one of the many players who had a strong performances at home for the College this past week. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics
Sophomore defender Kelsey Hamm of women’s soccer clears the ball upfield for the Brewers. Hamm was one of the many players who had a strong performances at home for the College this past week. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics

Women’s Field Hockey

The Brewers faced off against Hartwick College last Tuesday in a non-conference match that saw the Brewers pull off a 2-1 victory with only two minutes left in regulation. Junior midfielder Bianca Zarrella was the one to do the honors after the Brewers forced seven saves from their opposition. Senior Enya Cunningham was the other goal scorer. The win gives the program a record of 9-1, the best 10 game start to a season in VC field hockey history. The seven game home winning streak is also a team record.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team faced off against RIT Oct.3 and William Smith on Oct. 4, with the games finishing in a tie and a loss respectively. Against RIT, Senior Chloe Wheeler was able to net her fifth goal of the season to give the Brewer’s a 1-0 lead into the first half. However, RIT was able to equalize shortly thereafter and neither team would be able to produce a winning goal. A strong first half effort on the road against William Smith was not rewarded as the Brewer’s suffered five second half goals with the contest finishing 5-0. Their next game will be Oct. 8 at 7 p.m. on the road at Montclair State.

Men’s Soccer

With two wins this week, the men’s soccer team has accomplished its best ever Liberty League start. Facing off Friday against RIT, junior Jordan Palmer and senior Andre Cousineau found second half goals to lift the team to victory. Saturday saw goals in each half for a 2-0 win over Hobart College with goals again by Palmer and junior Gavin Jennings. The team is now 3-0 in the league and 9-3-1 overall, their next match will be against Clarkson away on Oct. 17.

Women’s Tennis

Facing their first dual matches of the season, the women’s tennis team was able to pick up two 9-0 wins against Union and Bard colleges. The team didn’t drop a single set in either match up and everyone had stellar performances. Though senior Ava Sadeghi and junior Winnie Yeates both played particularly well at Union, winning their singles and doubles matches. This is the first time since 2011 that the Women’s team has won their first dual match in the Liberty League.  As a result of winning the Northeast Regionals, Kate Christensen has cut her way into the USTA/ITA National Small College Championships. Christensen will travel to Sumter, S.C. from Oct. 9-12 to compete against the plethora of regional qualifiers from all over the country.

Men’s Tennis

The men saw action midweek against Bard College in a Liberty League dual match. The day finished in an 8-1 victory for the Brewers and VC did not drop a single set in any of the singles matches played and won. The win improves the teams record to 2-1 in the fall and 2-0 against Liberty league opponents. At the Connecticut College Tournament, the team closed out their fall season splitting singles matches 4-4, with junior and captain Daniel Cooper, junior Jeffrey Gerwin, sophomore Jim Lee and freshman Alex Riccio all winning their matches.

Women’s Volleyball

After spending Friday and Saturday on the road, the women’s volleyball team saw tons of Liberty League action this weekend. The team bested Skidmore but fell to defending champions and hosts Clarkson on Friday. On Saturday, they dropped matches to Union and St. Lawrence, both games ending in straight set, despite senior Taylor Mosley chalking up eight kills against Union. While fellow senior Marie Pitre played well, ending eight offensive attacks and adding nine digs to her career.

Women’s Golf

Rain made play tough for everyone at the Williams College Fall Invitational on a par 71 course at the Taconic Golf Club. Junior Aimee Dubois was the highest finishing player for VC as she tied for 14th with a plus-11 82. Dubois moved up the table on the second day of competition, posting a 78 and tying for eighth. The team shot a second day 345 but it wasn’t enough to erase the three-stroke lead Amherst had on the program resulting in a ninth place finish on the weekend. This weekend, the team will play in the Ann S. Batchelder Invitational hosted by Wellesley College.

Women’s Rugby

Supported by a solid crowd, the women’s rugby team was able to put up an impressive 50-0 scoreline against the University of Albany. The Brewers ran in an impressive eight tries with juniors Darienne Jones and Cierra Thomas each contributing two. Solid defense allowed the team to swallow up any threat from the opposition and certainly left an impact with the visiting team. The team improves to 5-0 with a 4-0 conference record. Next Sunday at 10 a.m. they will face fellow undefeated Rutgers in a battle for the top of the table.

Men’s Rugby

The men’s team was able to rack up 7 tries in a 43-0 victory against a Union College side that played most of the game down a man due to a red card early on. Junior Eli Vargas scored a hat trick before going out with an injury midway through the first half. Freshmen Joseph Simon and George Sheppard continued to impress with the former having two tries of his own and the latter making a great impact in his first start. The win puts the team at 3-0 in league play and 4-1 overall. Next Sunday, at 12 p.m., they will be at home to face New Paltz in a cross-river match-up that the Brewers hope will allow them to stay undefeated as they move into the tail end of regular season play.