Brewer teams prepare for final playoff push over break

Over the break men’s and women’s rowing started off their season at the SUNY Albany Invitational, where they experienced improvement as their strokes were strong and the day progressed. Photo By: Vassar Athletics
Over the break men’s and women’s rowing started off their season at the SUNY Albany Invitational, where they experienced improvement as their strokes were strong and the day progressed. Photo By: Vassar Athletics

Field Hockey

This past Friday and Saturday, the Vassar women’s field hockey team played two tough games. Friday, they lost 1-2 to St. Lawrence University, a game in which freshman Storm Sideleau managed to net a nice goal to even the score at 1-1, before St. Lawrence answered in overtime in a tough loss for the Brewers.

Saturday, the Brewers played #13 ranked Skidmore College in another closely contested match. Junior forward Lauren Wiebe scored the lone goal for the Brewers in the first half, but Skidmore came back in the second half to score two unanswered goals. Despite the loss, the Brewers qualified for the Liberty League Tournament and received the #3 seed with a record of 11-4 overall and 3-3 in league play. In their last match of the regular season, they play at New Paltz on Saturday at 1 p.m. They travel to Skidmore Nov. 5 for a rematch in the first round of the Liberty League Tournament.

Men’s Rugby

Men’s rugby played two games over the break. Sunday, Oct. 19 they faced rival Marist College in a physical matchup that saw the Brewers prevail 39-14 at the Farm in their last game before the playoffs. Senior flyhalf Nich Graham led the way for the Brewers with a total of 14 points scored.

This past Saturday, the men were up against #4 seed Molloy College and showed that they earned the #1 seed: a solid win 41-14. Sophomore center Seamus Taylor left with a fractured fibula in the first half, but that didn’t stop the Brewers, as freshman Joseph Simon scored three tries as the men ran away with it. Up next for the College’s men is Sacred Heart University in the tri-state conference semi-finals this Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Farm.

Women’s Rugby

VCWR played two conference playoff games over October break and were victorious in both. On Sunday Oct. 19, the Stony Brook University Seawolves came to the Farm to face the #2 Brewers. The women struggled with possession in the first half but quickly rebounded to win 69-5. Sophomore flyhalf Mary-Margaret McElduff had a notable performance as she tallied 19 points.

This last Saturday, the women continued their playoff push with a win over Hofstra University. In a more fiercely-contested game, the Brewers won 29-17. Seniors Meg Slattery and Kathleen Gould each had two tries for the Brewers. In their next contest, the Brewers have their hands full against an undefeated Rutgers University team. The women look to avenge their loss to Rutgers at the Farm this Saturday at 12 p.m.

Women’s Soccer

While the rest of the College was enjoying their break, VCWS soccer was busy playing to keep their playoff hopes alive. The Brewers played hard and won two close matches with the help of junior Emma Nichols and the rest of the Brewer defense to go 2-1 over the break. Saturday, Oct. 18, VCWS faced St. Lawrence University at home in what became a hotly contested match, as the game was decided by a free kick late in the game by junior Lucy Brainerd. Next, the women played William Patterson University on October 22nd in another close win; sophomore Jordyn Matthews scored the game’s only goal in the opening five minutes.

This last Saturday, the Brewers faced the second place RPI women at East Campus Stadium. Unfortunately, VCWS couldn’t respond to the scoring from RIP and fell 3-0. The women look to create some momentum as they travel to Union College this Saturday to play at 2 p.m.

Men’s Soccer

In the hunt for a spot in the Liberty League Tournament, VCMS faced off against RPI this past Saturday, October 25. The game was close for the first half until RPI opened it up with two second half goals. The men were unable to respond and fell 2-0. With the loss, the men drop to 3-2 in league play. VCMS looks to avenge their loss as they face Bard College this Saturday at 12 p.m. on the road.

Cross Country

In their final meet of the regular season, the College’s XC teams traveled to separate meets as the men participated in the Connecticut College Invitational. Meanwhile, the women traveled to Mount Holyoke College to compete in the Seven Sisters Championships on Oct. 18. The VCXCW finished second to Wellesley College, and senior Cassidy Carpenter earned All Seven-Sisters accolades as she finished fourth with a time of 22:58 on the 6k course.

In Connecticut, the men finished 11th out of 18 teams and were led by freshman Phillip Brown, who finished with a time of 27:04 on the 8k course to finish 42nd overall. XC hopes to have rested their bodies and prepared themselves over the break as their next meet is the Liberty League Championships this Saturday at RPI in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.

Men and Women’s Rowing

This past weekend on Saturday, Oct. 24, both the men and women traveled to compete at SUNY Albany Invitational in the last scheduled gala this fall. The men’s novice 8+ in their first race placed third out of three with a time of 6:44.3, while the women’s novice 8+ finished second of three with a time of 6:26.5. The varsity men 8+ improved as the day progressed. In the first, they came third of four and came in at 6:35.7 and in the second race, they improved enormously with a time of 6:05.3 and finished second. The women’s varsity 8+ came third of four with a time of 7:22.4.

The men’s varsity 4+ won their race, and the women had two teams compete, with their A team coming in second out of five, and the B team coming in third.