Brewer teams power through end-of-season fatigue

Field hockey is one of a number of teams for Vassar who are in the midst of the playoff hunt. Sophomore Lauren Shumate has been a key contributor for the Brewers with her strong defense. Photo By: Vassar Athletics
Field hockey is one of a number of teams for Vassar who are in the midst of the playoff hunt. Sophomore Lauren Shumate has been a key contributor for the Brewers with her strong defense. Photo By: Vassar Athletics

Fencing

For their first event of the season, the College’s fencing team traveled to the Big One Tournament hosted by Smith College to gauge how much their hard work and conditioning during the offseason had paid off. In this pre-season tournament, the Brewers experienced much success. Freshman Jonathan Alperstein earned first place honors in the épée. The men’s side seems to have a strong recruiting class, as fellow freshman George Whiteside joined in at fifth place out of 72 contestants for the Brewers.

The women’s side found much success in multiple divisions of play. Sophomore Olivia Weiss finished as one of the highest Brewers, reaching the semi-finals in the épée to reach third place. Freshman Annie Innes-Gold reached the same heights as Weiss, when she finished third in the sabre. Youth were champions of the day for the Brewers, and the teams look to continue their strong start and defend their home turf of Walker Field House this Sunday at 10 a.m.

Women’s Volleyball

Although VCWV didn’t make the playoffs, that didn’t stop them from ending their season on a high note against the Sage Colleges on Nov. 1. It was senior day, and the Brewers’ three seniors, Clara Cardillo, Taylor Mosley and Marie Pitre,  didn’t disappoint as they led the Brewers to a 3-0 win. Women’s volleyball finished the season 4-8 in liberty league play, and 13-17 overall.

Cross Country

This past Saturday, the Brewer cross country teams looked to end with a bang at the Liberty League championships. The teams traveled to Saratoga State Park, where RPI were the hosts. The Brewer men ran hard, but couldn’t distance themselves from the pack and ended up finishing fifth. Senior Andrew Terenzi set the pace with a time of 26:48 over 8k. St. Lawrence continued it’s league  championship streak, and the hosting team, RPI, finished second.

The women’s team fared better than the men’s team as they finished third out of seven teams, winning a tiebreaker over host RPI. They were led by Senior Cassidy Carpenter who finished the 6k course with a time 22:29 to finish seventh overall and earn All-League honors. Next up for the Brewers are the ECAC Championships Nov. 8 at Westfield State.

Swimming and Diving

In their second meet of the fall season, the College’s swimming and diving teams traveled to the Palladium Athletic Center to go against NYU in head-to-head dual meets this past Saturday. With their seasons now in full swing, the teams were trying to build some momentum and improve upon last week’s wins against Bard on Oct. 29. Unfortunately, both teams couldn’t keep up the with the strong NYU teams. The women ended up losing the meet 87-199, and the men lost 204-62, but they hope to have worked out all of the kinks in their techniques, as that was their last meet before they begin Liberty League Competition. The men’s team looks to make a splash in the Liberty League as they enter the pool against Skidmore College on Nov. 8 at 1 p.m. at Kresge Pool.

Women’s Rugby

Over the weekend, the women had a tough rematch against Rutgers University in the Tri State Conference Final on Saturday, Nov. 1. The game got off to a bad start with Rutgers scoring a converted try within a minute of the starting whistle. However, the next fifteen minutes saw the Brewers tighten up their play and they kept the ball in Rutgers half. Unfortunately, as was to become a staple of the game, the Brewers couldn’t hold onto the ball and gave up a penalty just yards from the line. It was an exciting match, but Rutgers won the day with strong running and struggling defense from the Vassar women, the final score was 38-10. The Brewers will take part in the first round of the regional play-offs on Saturday, Nov. 8, hosting Buffalo State University.

Men’s Rugby

The Brewers played Sacred Heart University on Sunday, Nov. 2 in the Tri State Conference Final. Both teams ran impressive offense, but it was the Brewers who took an early lead scoring two unanswered tries. The men from Sacred Heart were not to be disheartened and came back strongly, but never enough to overtake the Brewers. Due to a sub-par performance on defense the Brewers conceded 34 points, but luckily made up for it amounting a total of 48 points in response to win the day and a spot in the Tri Sate Conference final against Fairfield University on Sunday, Nov. 9.

Field Hockey

It was a hard weekend for the Brewers, playing New Paltz away on Sat. Nov. 1. Conceding three goals in the first five minutes, the Brewers could not claw there back and conceded the game to the hosts. The match was non-conference. On Wednesday, Nov. 5, the Brewers head to Saratoga Springs to take part in the Liberty League Tournament. The Brewers will start with a game against second-seed Skidmore College.