VC athletes earn All-Liberty League team recognition

Women’s Soccer

The Brewers did not qualify for the Liberty League Tournament this year; however, two women’s soccer players were honored by the Liberty League. Senior Chloe Wheeler earned First Team All-Liberty League honors for the second season in a row. Freshman Jessica Schwed was named to the Second Team. Wheeler finishes her season tying fourth for overall goals in the league, and seventh for points. The forward has led the team in goals scored for the third straight season. She completes her career at Vassar fifth in all time goals for the Brewers and number one for game winning goals. Schwed ends her first season anchoring a back line that achieved eight shut-outs in the 2014 season. She has also been an integral part of Vassar being undefeated at home for the first time since 2004.

Volleyball

Women’s volleyball’s season is over. but three players placed on the All-Liberty League teams. Seniors Clara Cardillo and Taylor Mosley both received All-Liberty League Second Team honors. Cardillo was an honorable mention last year and Mosley was selected to the Second Team for last season as well. Mosley was also an Honorable Mention two years ago. Junior Libero Chloe Hallum was an Honorable Mention for the third year in a row.

Men’s Soccer

Last Wednesday, the men’s team fell in the Semi-Finals of the Liberty League Tournament to No. 20 RPI. The Engineers took a 3-1 victory over the Brewers. Junior Jordan Palmer assisted senior Zach Nasipak for Vassar’s only goal. The men finished with an 11-6-2 record overall and were 9-2 at home. The men placed four players on All-Liberty League teams. Junior Gavin Jennings was a Second Team selection after finishing the season with a total of 9 assists. Nasipak was also named to the Second Team and was named a CoSIDA Academic All-District selection earlier in the season. Juniors Nick Hess and Jordan Palmer both received their first ever selections to the All-Liberty League Team as Honorable Mentions.

Field Hockey

The women’s field hockey team ended their historic season losing 4-1 to No. 12 Skidmore in the Liberty League Tournament Semi-Final. The team finished with an overall record of 11-7 and were the No. 3 seed in the Tournament. This was just the second time the Brewers had made the tournament and the highest seeding they’d ever received. Freshman Storm Sideleau scored the Brewers’ first ever goal in the postseason. Four members of the team were named to All Conference Teams. Junior Bianca Zarrella was an All-Liberty League First Team selection as was senior Enya Cunningham. Cunningham was also selected to play in the D-III Senior Game. Junior Lauren Wiebe and sophmore Lauren Shumate both earned Second Team honors.

Men’s Cross Country

The men’s team sent four runners to the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Championships this past Saturday. The team did not record a score but all four Brewers ran strong. Freshman Garsevan Bekuari was the top finisher clocking a 28:53.09. Kyle Estrada, also a freshman, placed 185th overall and sophomore Logan Serp was 173rd after beating his personal best by 25 seconds. Junior Kyle Dannenberg just missed his personal best and finished in 30:18.51.

Women’s Cross Country

The women finished 17th out of 48 schools competing at the Championships. Vassar did not start their top seven women but still had an impressive outing. Freshman Olivia Martin was 33rd overall out of 338 runners. She was the Liberty League’s fastest finisher and was named Liberty League Performer of the Week. Senior Viviane Ford was 57th overall and ran a personal best for the season with a 24:09.37. Seniors Cara Bennet and Nicole Woodworth also competed and Bennet placed 157th. Junior Sarah King was 109th.

Men’s Squash

Vassar hosted NYU and Haverford College on Saturday Afternoon in Kenyon Hall. The Brewers dropped both matches against two very strong teams. Against No. 36 Haverford, the Brewers fell 8-1. The only victory of the day came from sophomore Vincent Mencotti. Mencotti defeated Haverford’s Noah Vestrich-Shade in five sets. Mencotti was named Liberty League Performer of the Week for his play this weekend. Sophomore Manav Dalmiya earned a win in his exhibition match. The No. 42 NYU Violets swept the Brewers 9-0, but the Brewers played some very close matches.

Women’s Squash

The women went 2-0 on the weekend. They first defeated No. 32 Haverford 8-1. The women won 7 out of the 8 contested matches, as they had a default victory in the No. 9 spot. Senior Ellie Opdahl upped her season record to 4-0 in the match. The Brewers then defeated No. 36 NYU 9-0. Freshman Hannah Nice surrendered just four total points in her victory at the No. 1 spot.

Women’s Rugby

The women’s rugby team defeated Buffalo State University 39-12 in the Round of 32. The women scored 7 tries and will advance to the Round of 16 next Saturday with a chance to compete at the Quarter Finals on Sunday. The women sit at 8-2 and will be hosting the U.S.A. Rugby Fall Championship for Division I and II both at the farm and Prentiss Field. The women will compete in the Division II Bracket. The bracket includes Vassar College, Kutztown University, Stonehill College and University of Vermont. The Brewers face University of Vermont first in the finals.

Men’s Rugby

The Vassar men fell in a hard match up in the Tri-State Conference Championship 14-50. The Brewers played Fairfield University in Fairfield but managed to cool down a team that had been averaging 63 points a game. Fairfield will advance to the Wildcard Round of the U.S.A. Rugby Division II Men’s Collegiate Championship. Vassar finished the season with an 8-2 record and will look to regroup before their spring season begins.

Men’s Fencing

The Men’s Fencing Team opened up their season at the Vassar College Invitational this Sunday at Walker Field House. The Brewers had a strong day and went 5-2. The Brewers had wins against Yeshiva University, Hunter College, Haverford College, Lafayette College and Army. They narrowly lost to Stevens Institute of Technology 14-13 and No. 12 Sacred Heart University 15-12. Senior Captain Tre Artis was 14-7 at foil and managed an impressive win against Sacred Heart’s Andrew Holmes, who finished 11th in the nation last year. Freshman Eli Polston had 11 victories in sabre. Freshmen Tom Racek in foil and Jon Alperstein in épée both earned a team best 15 wins as did sophomore Campbell Woods in sabre. Sophomore Ry Farley finished with 13 wins in épée and freshman George Whiteside had 12. The sabre squad was 46-17 overall and épée was 43-20. Foil was 35-28.

Women’s Fencing

The Brewer women finished the day 4-4. The women got a win over Haverford College, Queens College, Hunter College and Army. They were bested by Sacred Heart University 16-11, No. 13 Cornell University 22-5, Stevens 15-12 and Farleigh Dickinson University 15-12. Freshman sabre Fencer Annie Innes-Gold ’18 had a banner day going 21-3. Freshman foil fencer Kirsten Denman ’18 had 18 wins and sophomore épéeist Olivia Weiss had a 15-5 record. Senior Megan Weiss and junior Rachel Messbauer both had 12 wins in épée. The épée squad went a combined 44-28 on the day, sabre was 40-32, and the foil squad was 36-36.