Fencing dominates for sixth straight year

Men’s Basketball

For the Brewers’ first game of the season on Nov. 15 they faced Wheelock College in the first round of the Vassar Tip-Off this past weekend. Led by a dominant show of scoring by senior forward Alex Snyder in which he scored 27 points and was named to the Vassar Invitational All-Tournament team, the Brewers won 72-66. In their final game of the Vassar Tip-Off they played a tough game against Springfield College, and the competition didn’t go as favorably for the Brewers as the previous night, as they lost 82-44. The Brewers look to find their rhythm early in the season as they travel to Madison, NY on Nov. 22 to play Drew University in their first away game of the season.

Women’s Basketball

At the Babson College Invitational this past weekend, the Brewers opened their season against host Babson College. Senior Allyson Pemberton scored a team high 15 points, but that was not enough as the Brewers fell to Babson 66-55. On Sunday the Brewers faced #15 ranked Williams College in a close game that saw a career night from junior Caitlin Drakely who scored 32 points from 11-24 shooting on the night. However the women lost 75-67 and fell to 0-2 to start off their season. The Brewers look next to face St. Joseph’s-LI this Friday 7 p.m. in New Jersey.

Men’s Fencing

The Brewers put forth a strong effort in honor of former Coach Matt Lampell at the Matt Lampell Hudson River Valley Invitational. VCMF has won the Invitational all five times in the events history, and this past weekend was no different as the Brewers captured their sixth team title to keep their streak alive. On their way to the title VCMF beat Cornell 25-2, RPI 26-1 , University of Albany 25-2,  Marist 27-0, and Army 18-9. The top performing team was the sabre for the Brewers as they had a strong showing on their way to a 41-4 record at the Invitational.

As they look to keep their strong season going the Brewers will have a long break to practice and then will travel to Fairfield, CT Dec. 7 to participate in the Sacred Heart Tournament.

Women’s Fencing

In the familiar confines of Walker Field House VCWF had a dominant showing at the Matt Lampell Hudson River Valley Invitational. The Brewers faced six teams and lost no matches on their way to the title. The Brewers were victorious over Queens College 19-8, Marist College 2304, LIU Post 25-2, Army 23-4, and Yeshiva University to go 115-20 overall in those matches.

In the final match of the meet for the Brewers, they faced a tough City College of New York, and showed that they were able to perform when the stakes were high. They escaped 14-13 with help from their sabre team that went 6-3. VCWF will look to improve upon these wins as they enjoy a break until Dec. 7 when they travel to Sacred Heart University to keep their winning ways alive.

Women’s Swimming & Diving

The Vassar women faced Liberty-League opponent RPI this past Saturday at home in Kresge Pool. The women swam hard, but ultimately were unable to match up to RPI, who won the dual meet 187.5-103.5. Sophomore Julia Cunningham provided some bright spots for the Brewers as she qualified for NCAA B Cut with a time of 2:07.39 in the 200 yard butterfly. She also finished first in the 200 yard backstroke by a 5 second margin over the competition with a time of 2:30.75.

Senior Kelly Wilkinson had a strong showing for the diving team as she finished second in the 3 meter dive with an overall score of 244.57. This Saturday the Brewers return to action to face local Liberty League rival SUNY-New Paltz.

Men’s Swimming & Diving

Facing Liberty League opponent RPI this past Saturday in Kresge Pool, the Brewers faced tough competition. Senior Luc Amodio had a strong showing on the afternoon as he finished first in the 200 yard breaststroke with a time of 2:16.13. He just missed out on adding a first place finish in the 100 yard backstroke when he was .45  milliseconds behind the competition who finished with a time of 55.36.

Looking to return to their winning ways, the Brewers face cross-river rival SUNY-New Paltz on Saturday, November 22nd.

Men’s Cross Country

VCMXC ran competitively for the final time this season at Genesee Valley Park where the Division III Atlantic Regionals were held this past Saturday, Nov. 15. Out of the 41 teams that participated, the Brewers finished 21st and placed five runners in the top 133 out of the competing 288. In his last run of his senior year, Andrew Terenzi had a memorable afternoon as he paced the Brewers with a time of 27:15.3 over the 8k course to finish 122th. Freshmen Michael Scarlett was not far behind his elder teammate, as he finished ten seconds behind Terenzi and finished in 123rd place.

Women’s Cross Country

The women’s team traveled to the University of Rochester to run at Genesee Valley Park in the Division III Atlantic Regionals this past Saturday. For their last competition of the season, the Brewers had a strong showing, which they can be proud to look back upon over the cold winter, when they may be reluctant to run. Out of 40 teams present, VCWXC finished in the upper echelon, as they placed 7th. Leading the way was Senior Cassidy Carpenter, who was named to the Liberty League All-First Team. She finished 16th with a time of 22:16.8 over the 6k course. For her strong running, she earned a bid to the NCAA Division III National Championships which will be held in Ohio this Saturday.

Following Carpenter, was freshman Meaghan Wilcoxon who finished with a time of 22:36.7 which was good enough for 26th place.