Women’s basketball tip off winning season

Junior guard Caitlin Drakeley and freshman guard Samarah Cook have been part of a formidable backcourt, that along with a strong defense, has helped the Brewers start the season 4-0. Photo by: Vassar Athletics.

Women’s Basketball

Over Thanksgiving break on Tuesday, November 25, the Brewers continued their winning streak by beating Wesleyan University at home with a convincing scoreline of 64-39. Vassar’s defense was on form that day, and Wesleyan couldn’t find a way into the game. Junior Caitlin Drakeley has continued to impress on the court, recording twenty points and a career best of fifteen rebounds. She averaged 22 points, 8.5 rebounds and 4 assists last week to earn a place in the Liberty League honor roll. Sophomore Zoe Walker scored a career high of eight points and 10 rebounds. For her role in helping the Brewers to start their season off on the right foot, freshman Ariella Rosenthal earned the recognition of being the Liberty League’s Rookie of the Week. She scored a career high 10 points last week.

On Tuesday, December 2, the Brewers traveledtraveled to Mount Saint Mary College for a tough matchup against the Knights. VCWB came out on top beating the home team 69-59. The Brewers are currently 4-0 with no signs of letting up. They tip off this Saturday. Dec. 6 against Stevens Institute of Technology.

Squash

The weekend before Thanksgiving break on Saturday, Nov. 22, the women hosted two teams at Kenyon Hall: William Smith College and St. Lawrence University. The Brewers lost in both matchups, unable to hold on to their two-game winning streak from the weeks before. The Brewers were unable to win a single match against St. Lawrence. However, freshman Hannah Nice was able to win her match getting the Brewers their only point in a 1-8 loss to William Smith. The Brewers will host Tufts University this Friday. Dec. 5 at home. The Brewer men will also host on Friday against Tufts University, and then they will travel down to New York City this Saturday to face Fordham University.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

On Saturday, Nov. 22, the Brewers traveled to Elting Pool to compete against local cross-river rivals SUNY New Paltz. It was a tough day at the races, as the Brewers lost to the Hawks 169-92. However, it was a record breaking day for freshman Jonah Strand, who swam a career best of 2:19.54 in the 200 yard breaststroke. Strand was honored with the award of Liberty League Rookie of the Week for the second time in his young Brewer career, after also garnering individual victories in the 100 yard breaststroke with a time of 1:04.70 and in the 400 IM (4:35.42) at New Paltz.

Brewer sophomore Anthony Walker finished tops in New Paltz with times of 2:07.10 in the 200 yard butterfly and 54.82 in the 100 yard butterfly to earn top honor roll in the Liberty League. The Brewers saw many individual accomplishments over the course of the season, but they will not be competing in the Liberty League Championships this Friday.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

The women also travelled to SUNY New Paltz to compete at Elting Pool. They, too, had difficulty as a team with the neighbors across the river. The Brewers posted a 166-96 loss, with the Hawks taking eight of fourteen races with their superior numbers. Vassar had a few stellar individual performances, such as that of senior Olivia Harries had the top time in the 1000 yard freestyle, finishing in 11:05.44. She also broke her season record in the 500 yard freestyle with a time of 5:28.04, and coming first in that race. Harries completed her hat-trick with a win in the 200 yard freestyle.

Sophomore Julia Cunningham set two records with a time of 2:09.40 in the 200 year fly, and 4:43.02 in the 400 IM. With those pool records, she was named the Liberty League’s women’s swimmer of the week, which happens to be her second selection.