Brewers stay competitive over lengthy winter break

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams headed to sunny San Diego over the Winter Break to work on their strokes and enhance their team chemistry in preperation for their seasons. Courtesy of Vassar College Athletics
The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams headed to sunny San Diego over the Winter Break to work on their strokes and enhance their team chemistry in preparation for their seasons. Photo by: Vassar College Athletics.

Women’s Basketball

The Women’s basketball team went 3-4 over the break, facing several tough opponents. Their efforts were highlighted by a tight 51-49 win over Hartwick College on Dec. 30.  Junior guard Caitlin Drakeley hit a jumper with 16 seconds left to put the Brewers up for good.  Vassar also boasted an impressive 60-40 win against Bard as they outscored the visitors 40 to 23 in the second half.  Perhaps their most impressive win, however, came on Jan. 17 against Rochester Institute of Technology.  The Brewers trailed by as many as 10 in the second half, but came back to win behind 28 points from Drakeley.  Vassar may have snagged another win on Jan. 23 if not for a clutch St. Lawrence University three-pointer with 22 seconds left to play.  The Brewers welcome Skidmore this Friday, Jan. 30.

Men’s Basketball

Men’s basketball finished the break 2-6, with several tight contests going in favor of their opponents.  They began with a nice win 88-80 over Union College on Jan. 2.  Senior forward Alex Snyder led the way with 23 points and 10 rebounds.  The Brewers also pulled out a 64-57 victory against Maritime College on Jan. 12.  Vassar, who never trailed after halftime, was led by junior guard Erikson Wasyl’s 22 points.  The men’s team also lost close bouts against Skidmore, Bard, Hobart College, and St. Lawrence University.  They look to improve their record this Friday against Skidmore.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

Women’s swimming and diving had a busy break as they were out training in San Diego for a week in early January.  While there, they competed in a non-scoring meet against University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire in Coronado, Calif.  This meet was highlighted by a victory for sophomore Julia Cunningham in the 100m butterfly, a second place finish for senior Olivia Harries in the 400m freestyle, and a third place result for senior Lizzy Balter in the 50m freestyle.  In their first tri-meet of the season, the women won 148-140 against Trinity College but were edged out 137-161 against Mount Holyoke.  They also took part in the Seven Sisters Championships at Mount Holyoke in South Hadley, Mass. on Jan. 17-18 where they finished third of five teams.  Next up for the Brewers is the Skidmore College Sprint Invitational this Saturday at 1 p.m.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

The men’s swim and dive team also spent part of their break training in the sunny skies of San Diego where they too competed against University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.  Sophomore Anthony Walker came out on top in the 100m butterfly with a time of 1:01.72. Sophomore Chris Cerutti and junior Greg Cristina also finished second in the 100m backstroke and 50m freestyle respectively.  Nearly 24 hours after arriving home, the men came out on top against Trinity College 145-125 on Jan. 13.  They later fell to Montclair State on Jan. 21 and were edged out 121-132 by Roger Williams University on Jan. 24.  The men look to do some damage at the Skidmore College Sprint Invitational on Saturday.

Women’s Fencing

Vassar hosted the VC Fencing Challenge on Jan. 18 where they also honored seniors Megan Lewis, Kathleen Konno, Anveshi Guha, Janelle Washington and Anastasia Stevens.  The Brewers started strong with convincing wins against Detroit, Cleveland State University, and NJIT, yet they fell later in the day to both Tufts and Yale.  Last weekend, the women headed to Rhode Island for the Brown University invitational.  They went 2-5 on the day with wins against Dartmouth and Smith, but fell to Boston College, Brandeis, Tufts and MIT.  Led by freshman Kirsten Denman and sophomore Elsa Stoff, the Vassar’s foil team earned 31 wins on the afternoon.  Next up is a bout against Drew University on Jan. 31.

Men’s Fencing

Men’s fencing also participated in the VC Fencing Challenge where they went an impressive 3-1 with wins over Detroit, Cleveland State University, and NJIT.  Vassar freshman Eli Polston led the way, going 11-0 on the day.  Polston, a sabre fencer, would go on to win Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Fencer of the Week last Wednesday.  The men then attended the Brown University Invitational where they finished 2-4 with impressive wins over Tufts and Dartmouth.  The men too look to Drew University this coming Saturday.

Men’s Volleyball

While their home opener is this Thursday, the Brewers participated in the SUNYIT Tournament last weekend in Utica, NY.  The men started quite strong on Saturday, with dominant 3-0 wins over Wells College and Mount Ida College.  Yet, Sunday proved much tougher on the Vassar men as they rallied down 0-2 but fell to Nazareth College.  They later fell 0-3 to Wentworth Institute of Technology.  Vassar looks to start it’s season strong this Thursday at 7p.m. against NYU.

Men and Women’s Squash

Both the men and women’s squash teams fell to Haverford 8-1 this past Saturday.  The men’s lone win came from sophomore Vincent Mencotti, who leads the Brewers with 6 wins this season.  Freshman Hannah Nice gave the women their only victory.  Nice is 6-1 at no. 1 singles this year.  Next for both the men and women are the Hudson Valley Team Championships.