Men’s tennis gets season underway, sees early success

Senior men’s volleyball captain Colin White-Dzuro pumps his fist in celebration. The Brewers have gotten off to a strong start with convincing wins over NYU, Elms University, Bard and NJCU. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics
Senior men’s volleyball captain Colin White-Dzuro pumps his fist in celebration. The Brewers have gotten off to a strong start with convincing wins over NYU, Elms University, Bard and NJCU. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics

Men’s Squash

After a heartbreaking 5-4 defeat to Bard College last weekend during the Hudson Valley Invitational, the Brewer men rebounded with a decisive 6-3 victory over the Raptors this weekend. Sophomore Vincent Mencotti, playing at the No. 1 spot for the Brewers, upped his current win streak to four matches. The Raptors won the No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 positions, but Vassar picked up victories from No. 5-No. 9. Senior David Garfinkel continued his success after being moved to the No. 5 position. He picked up his third straight victory. Juniors Ben Kurchin and Tim Boycott both picked up wins at the No. 6 and No. 8 position respectively. Senior Noah Kulick won the No. 7 position. Sophomore Sam Hammer went behind early 2-0 but rallied and won the next three games to take the No. 9 position for the Brewers.

Women’s Squash

The women traveled to Cambridge and competed in the Seven Sisters Tournament at Harvard University’s Murr Center Squash Courts. The Brewers finished third overall on the day. The women began the day by facing nationally ranked No. 24 Wellesley. Wellesley defeated the Brewers 9-0. Freshman Hannah Nice, at the No. 1 position, ended her five game winning streak after falling to Wellesley’s Sarah Zhang. Sophomore Isabelle Bertram, at the No. 2, took her match to 4 before falling. The Brewers then took on nationally ranked No. 26 Mount Holyoke. Vassar fell 8-1 but Nice picked up a five-set win at the No. 1 spot again. Wellesley eventually took the title later in the day as Mount Holyoke came in second. Finally, the No. 33 Brewers took on No. 36 Smith College. The Brewers rebounded from their first two matches and picked up a 6-3 victory over the Pioneers. Nice and Bertram both won their sets and were named to the Seven Sisters All-Tournament Team.

Men’s Fencing

The men’s fencing team competed in the final meet of the Northeast Fencing Conference season this Saturday. They defeated the University of New Hampshire 22-5 in the first match of the day. They then defeated Boston University 26-1 and the University of Massachusetts 22-5. The Brewers’ last match of the day was a tough 15-12 loss to Sacred Heart University, one of the top teams in the conference. Sophomore Ry Farley had nine wins to lead the épée squad on the afternoon. Freshmen George Whiteside had eight wins, while fellow freshman Jonathan Alperstein went 7-1.

Freshman Daniel Swerzenski was 4-0 in épée. In foil, senior Captain Tre Artis had eight wins. He defeated NCAA qualifier Andrew Holmes for the second time this season. Artis’ win over Holmes ended his perfect league record. Freshman Tom Racek picked up seven wins in foil as well. The sabre team was 29-7 on the day. Freshman Eli Polston is just one behind Alperstein in the team lead for victories after going 8-2 in sabre. Junior Zachary Wilson went 8-1 and sophomore Campbell Woods was 5-1. Freshman Eric Lee went 4-0.

Women’s Basketball

The Brewer women started off their weekend with an overtime loss to Clarkson University 78-67. Freshman Ariella Rosenthal had a strong game scoring 23 points and tying her career high of nine rebounds. Junior Caitlin Drakeley had 20 points. Freshman Kim Romanoff came off the bench for 8 points and went 4-7 from the floor. Junior Rose Serafini had 13 rebounds, six points and two blocked shots. The Brewers made all 11 free throws on the night. The women then were knocked off by St. Lawrence 62-50. Rosenthal broke her career-best record with 11 rebounds and had a game high 18 points. Romanoff had 6 points and Serafini had eight points, six rebounds, two blocks and two steals. Senior Allyson Pemberton had nine points. With the loss, the Brewers were mathematically eliminated from the Liberty League Tournament this year.

Men’s Volleyball

The men’s volleyball team had a mid-week match against Bard College. The Brewers had a strong outing and defeated the Raptors 3-0. All 10 players that had at least one attack also had a kill. The Brewers had 10 kills in 20 attacks in the first set and held Bard to just one finish on 21 attempts. Sophomore Christian Lizana hit .357 on the evening and had eight kills and eight digs. Freshman Zechariah Lee had 32 assists and two blocks. Sophomore Nick Zarchen had three assists and two digs. The Brewers then competed in non-conference tri-match with New Jersey City University and Wentworth Institute of Technology.

The Brewers first defeated the Gothic Knights of NJCU 3-1. Freshman Matthew Knigge swung at a .545 percentage against NJCU and had 14 kills on 22 attempts. Junior Reno Kriz had 14 kills on 24 attacks. Lee had 33 assists, four assisted blocks and three aces. Freshman Jorge Rivera had 10 kills and four digs. Sophomore Trey Cimorelli had a season and game-best 15 digs. Senior Colin White-Dzuro had 13 assists and four digs. The Brewers finished with a .312 hitting percentage and 52 total kills. The Brewers then fell to WIT 3-1. Kriz had 15 kills and six digs along with five total blocks. Lizana had 10 kills, 10 digs and five rejections. Rivera had seven kills, two aces, four digs and two assisted blocks. Cimorelli had another match-best 13 digs for Vassar.

Men’s Tennis

The Brewer men’s tennis team opened its spring season with a 5-0 dual match victory against Clark University. The Brewers swept the doubles matches to start and then earned 2 singles victories on the day. Vassar moved to 3-1 on the year in duals while Clark drops to 2-4. Junior Daniel Cooper and sophomore Alexander Luckmann earned an 8-5 win at the No. 1 doubles spot. Junior Christian Phelps and sophomore Juan Felipe Lsao had an 8-6 victory at the No. 2 doubles spot. Sophomore Nick Litsky and senior William Zhu were down 2-7 in the No. 3 Doubles match but came back for a 9-7 win. Cooper had a victory in the No. 2 singles match and Laso sealed the win in the No. 4 singles matchup and gave VC the shutout.