Look out: Brewers break records like chefs break eggs

Junior guard Caitlin Drakely drives to the hoop with force. Drakely has maintained her stellar play as of late, winning herself a spot on the Liberty League honor roll as she helped the women to victory. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics
Junior guard Caitlin Drakely drives to the hoop with force. Drakely has maintained her stellar play as of late, winning herself a spot on the Liberty League honor roll as she helped the women to victory. Photo By: Vassar College Athletics

Men’s Fencing

The Vassar College men’s fencing team faced two tough matches in New York City last Tuesday. The meet was hosted by New York University and featured Vassar, NYU, Sacred Heart University and No. 2 nationally ranked Columbia University. The men started off the day with a close battle with NYU. NYU  just edged the Brewers 15-12. Freshman Eli Polston went 3-0 against NYU. Junior Captain Elam Coalson had 2 victories and sophomore Campbell Woods was 2-1 while the sabre team went 7-2 overall. For the epee team, sophomore Ry Farley went 2-1 and freshman Jonathan Alperstein had 2 victories as well. In foil, sophomore Benjamin Xiong picked up a win. Having already fenced Sacred Heart twice this season, the men then faced off against Columbia University. The Brewers fell to Columbia 9-18 but the Epee squad picked up a 5-4 win over the Lions. Farley got 2 more wins as did freshman George Whiteside. Alperstein also won a bout. Polston went 3-0 again against Columbia. The Brewers are back in action this weekend, fencing in the New England Intercollegiate Fencing Conference Championships on Saturday at Walker at 8 a.m.

Men’s Volleyball

The Brewers had a strong day last Thursday as they topped Medgar Evans College 3-0 in Kenyon. The Brewers set multiple records on the day. To start off, freshman Zechariah Lee had 7 service aces in the first set. The Brewers scored the first 8 points of the set. In the second set, the Brewers got 9 service aces, senior Luke Sobieraj knocking in 6. In the third set, Vassar had another 7 aces and broke the school record for service winners with 23. The Brewers finished the night with a hitting percentage of .688, breaking the record set in 2008 of .562. The Brewers had 34 kills on only 48 swings and had just one error. Lee broke the record for aces in a three-set match with 7. This weekend, the Brewers opened United Volleyball Conference play. Despite defeating No. 10 NYU earlier in the season, the Brewers fell 3-1 to NYU. Junior Reno Kriz had a double-double of 15 kills and 11 digs. Lee had 39 assists, 5 service aces, 11 digs and 5 total blocks. The Brewers then fell to No. 14 Elmira College 3-1. Kriz had 13 kills. Freshman Jorge Rivera had his first career double-double of 10 kills and 11 digs.

Women’s Squash

The No. 33 ranked Vassar College women’s squash team was seeded No. 1 in the E Division of the Collegiate Squash Association National Championships. They began competition with a strong 8-1 win over No. 40 University of Rochester in the quarterfinals. Freshman Hannah Nice in the No. 1 spot padded her record with a three set win, allowing her opponent just 4 points. Sophomore Isabelle Bertram also had a 3 set victory at the No. 2 spot allowing just five points. Vassar College also got wins from juniors Stephanie Zhu and Parisa Halaji. Freshmen Cherylann Mucciolo and Emma Glickman both had wins as well along with senior Roxanne Ringer, who picked up her ninth victory of the season. In the Semifinals, the Brewers fell to Northwestern University 7-2. Nice had another victory and moved to 12-2 on the season. She will most likely be playing in the CSA Individual Championships later this month. Bertram also picked up a 5-set win. The third place match was postponed due to bad weather and would have featured the Brewers and Washington University of St. Louis. The Brewers finish their season 7-7 and will have 9 returners next year.

Women’s Basketball

The women had a 2-0 weekend with some strong play. They started off by defeating Rochester Institute of Technology 60-49. They forced the Tigers to just 30 percent shooting and with the win, the Brewers eliminated the Tigers from the Liberty League Tournament. The Brewers are now also 8-0 all-time over RIT. Junior Caitlin Drakeley finished with a game-best 23 points and also added 7 boars and 3 assists. Junior Rose Serafini had 12 points and a game-best 8 rebounds. The next night the Vassar College women honored their lone senior Pemberton with a 53-43 win over William Smith on Senior Day. This was the Brewers’ 10th win of the year and this is the fifth consecutive season in which they have finished with double-digit victories. Drakeley finished with 17 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals. She now has 983 points total with 2 games left this year. She needs just 8.5 points during the final contests to reach 1000th for her career. Serafini had a record-breaking night. She had 8 points, 8 rebounds, 6 blocks and 3 steals. Serafini tied and broke the school record for blocks in a single season. The previous record had stood at 50, set by Emily Haeuser in the 2007-08 season. Serafini now has 51 total blocks this season. Overall, the Brewers held the Herons to just 28.1 shooting and that was the fourth lowest percentage for the Herons all season. Drakeley also was named to the Liberty League honor roll once again for her efforts during the Brewers’ stellar weekend.

Women’s Tennis

The Vassar women opened their spring season at the United States Military Academy on Saturday. Division I Army swept the Brewers in Doubles competition and then took 5 out of 6 singles bouts and earned the 6-1 victory, consistent with Division I scoring. Freshman Kate Christensen earned a 6-3 and 6-4 win at the No. 1 spot in singles after a very strong fall season. Senior Samantha Schapiro was the only Brewer to take her match to 3 sets. Schapiro at the No. 2 won the first set 6-4, lost the second 6-2 and then played a marathon super tiebreak before falling 10-9. Christensen earned her second career selection as Liberty League Top Singles Performer of the Week. The women will be back next Saturday at Muhlenberg College.