Busy Brewers break school records, turn more heads

Men’s Squash

The Vassar College Men’s Squash team finished their season off strong. competing in the College Squash Association’s National Team Championships. The Brewers were seeded at the top of their division and brought home their Division title after finishing first. They were placed in a pool with the University of Notre Dame and Ithaca College to begin. The Brewers started off with a strong 8-1 victory over Ithaca College on Friday. Sophomore Vincent Mencotti earned a three set victory at No. 1 as did junior Juan Pablo Fernandez at No.3. Senior Captain Ryan Kurtzman also had a three set victory at No.5 and fellow senior Noah Kulick at No.6 only allowed 9 points in his three set victory. The Brewers then faced off against the University of Notre Dame and came away with another 8-1 victory to send them to the Division finals. Fernandez had another three set victory as did Kulick. Junior Ben Kurchin also had a three set victory at No. 7 as did Mencotti. In the Division Title match, the Brewers met with Bard College for the fourth time this season. Mencotti had another win at No. 1 and brought his season total to 12-6 overall. Kurchin forced his No. 7 match to a fifth set with the Brewers and Raptors tied 4-4. Kurchin pulled off an 11-9 come from behind victory and clinched the division title for the Brewers. Kurtzman and Kulick also had victories for the Brewers in three sets to finish their careers. This was the Brewers’ first ever CSA Division title and they finish the season 6-9 overall.

Men’s Fencing

The Men’s Fencing Team competed in the New England Intercollegiate Fencing Conference Championships this past Saturday, hosted at Vassar. The Men’s three-weapon team finished second overall. The Men’s Sabre team had an especially strong showing. Freshman Eli Polston went 8-2 in the preliminary rounds and earned the No.1 seed in the individual championships thanks to a +26 touch differential. He was 3-2 during the first round of pools with a +4 differential. In the final pool he went 3-2 again and tied for the top spot with two MIT fencers. The fencers all went 1-1 against each other during the first tiebreaker and after the second tiebreaker, Polston ended up taking third overall. Junior Captain Elam Coalson also made individuals and took home 6th place. The sabre squad had a third place finish in the team portion. Fellow captain and senior foilist Tre Artis also finished 6th after going 8-3 during the team round. Freshman foilist Tom Racek went 9-1 during the team round and finished 10th overall. The foil squad went 22-9 and finished third overall. The Men’s Epee Squad finished 2nd overall after going 28-5 in the team rounds. Freshman Jonathan Alperstein went 9-2, sophomore Ry Farley also went 9-2 and freshman George Whiteside went 10-1. All three Brewers made the individual round. The Brewers will next send their top fencers to compete at NCAA regionals on March 8th.

Women’s Swimming

The Women’s Swimming and Diving team finished 8th out of 16 teams at the Upper New York State Collegiate Swimming Championships. 7 school records were broken by the women during the 4 day event and many Brewers had lifetime and season bests. On Day 1, senior Olivia Harries broke a 20 year old record in the 500 freestyle event. She took 6th overall. Juniors Milee Nelson and Marie Schmidt took 14th and 15th in the event after swimming season-bests. The 200-yard medley team of Nelson, junior Anna Kuo, sophmore Julia Cunningham and senior Lizzie Balter finished first in the B-final of the event and broke a school record in the process. On Day 2, Cunningham set school records in the 400 IM and the 100 Fly. In the 400 IM, she finished 2nd overall in the A Final and posted a time under the 2014 NCAA “Invited Time.” She was third in the 100 fly A Finals and finished with an NCAA B Cut time. The 400 yard medley relay team of Nelson, Kuo, Cunningham and Balter had a season-best time and finished 7th overall. The 200 freestyle relay team of junior Lily Frye, sophomore Leah Pan, freshman Cali Corbett and Balter was at the top of the B Final, taking 9th overall. On Day 3, Cunningham set her third school record in the 200 Fly finals. She finished 2nd overall on the event and once again was under the 2014 NCAA invited time. The 800 freestyle relay squad of Harries, Nelson, Schmidt and Cunningham broke a school record and finished 7th overall. On Day 4, Harries broke two more records in the 1000 free and the 1650 free. Her time in the 1650 free broke her program-best record set in 2014 by over 10 seconds. She finished third overall in the event and was an NCAA B cup mark.

Men’s Swimming

The Brewer Men also competed at the Upper New York State Collegiate Swimming Championships. The men finished the event 9th out of 15 total teams. They broke 5 school records during the event and also had several career and lifetime-bests. On Day 1, the 200 yard Medley team of senior Luc Amodio, freshman Jonah Strand, sophomore Anthony Walker and junior Greg Cristina broke a school record and finished 7th overall in the field. Amodio took 4th in the B finals of the 50 free, posting a season-best. On Day 2, the Brewers set 2 new school records. Walker finished first in the B Final of the 100 Fly and broke his own school record when he posted a career-best. Cristina took 5th in the B Final of the even while senior Chuck Hermann and sophomore Ian Quinn took 5th and 6th in the C Final. The 400 Medley Relay team of Amodio, Strand, Walker and Cristina took 6th overall in the finals and managed to break the program record during their preliminary race. The 200 freestyle relay team of Cristina, Amodio, Walker and Quinn finished 8th in the A Final. On Day 3, Walker set another record. During the 200 Fly, Walker took first in the B Final and he broke his own program record from last year. Amodio took 8th place in the A Final for the 100 Back. Strand took 4th in the B Finals of the 100 Breaststroke and had a career best. Junior Isaiah Hale and Sophomore Patrick Lai took 1st and 2nd in the C Final of the event. The 800 free relay team of Walker, sophomore Chris Cerutti, Hale and senior Chuck Hermann, took 12th overall in the event. On Day 4, Cristina snapped the school record for the 100 freestyle event. Cristina went on to take 15th overall after his preliminary, record-breaking time. Strand had a lifetime best in the 200 Breaststroke and took 6th place in the A final of the event. Amodio took first in the B final and his final time was a season-best and within a second of the school record. Lai had a lifetime best and took 3rd in the C Final. Cerutti finished 7th overall in the C Final of the 200 Back. The 400 yard freestyle relay team of Walker, Amodio, Hale and Cristina had a season best and placed second in the B final of the event.

Women’s Basketball

On Wednesday, Junior Guard Caitlin Drakeley became Vassar College’s 11th player to score 1000 points as the Brewers defeated Bard College 58-42 in Liberty League Play. Drakeley had 18 points during the game. Freshman Ariella Rosenthal was 5-of-8 shooting and finished with 14 points and 4 steals. Junior Rose Serafini had 6 points, 7 blocks, 3 assists and tied a career-high 13 rebounds. Junior Alex Moon had 9 points and 7 rebounds. Senior Allyson Pemberton had 8 points. The Brewers had a season-best 50.0 percent from the floor (21-42). In their final game of the year, the Brewers knocked off RPI 69-51. This allowed the Brewers to finish the season on a four-game winning streak, matching their longest streak of the year. Rosenthal had a game best 19 points, 7 rebounds and 2 assists. Her 258 points this year is the most ever for a freshman since Cydni Matsuoka ‘14 scored 458 in 2010-11. Draekely had 11 points and 5 rebounds. She moved into No. 10 all-time in scoring. She now has 1012 points at Vassar. Serafini had her first career double-double as she had 14 rebounds, 10 points and 6 bocks. Pemberton finished her career with the Brewers with 8 points. She is 5th all-time in field goal percentage at .448 and her free throw percentage is sixth-ever at .746. Moon had 7 points and 7 rebounds. Rosenthal was named the Liberty League Rookie of the Week for the second time this season for her efforts this weekend.