Mixed bag for Brewers on tour from California to Budapest

The men’s rugby team wins a scrum in their game against the Budapest Exiles on their spring break tour. The men and women’s teams added Hungary to the list of countries the teams have visited. Photo By: Vassar Athletics
The men’s rugby team wins a scrum in their game against the Budapest Exiles on their spring break tour. The men and women’s teams added Hungary to the list of countries the teams have visited. Photo By:  Vassar Athletics
The men’s rugby team wins a scrum in their game against the Budapest Exiles on their spring break tour. The men and women’s teams added Hungary to the list of countries the teams have visited. Photo By: Vassar Athletics

Men’s Lacrosse

The Brewers have been busy the past couple of weeks. On Wednesday March 4 the Brewers hosted Montclair State University in a demanding game that saw them lose focus and fall 12-3. After the away match against Swarthmore was postponed, the Brewers hosted Western Connecticut State on Thursday March 12 in an intense game that went down to the final minute. The Brewers took the day with an 8-9 victory. Over Spring Break the men travelled to Colorado Springs for a couple of matchups against Colorado College and Adams State University. They lost to Colorado College on Sunday March 15, 9-15, but came back swinging against Adams, beating the host 17-12. The men returned for their first Liberty League game against Rensellaer Polytechnic Institute at home on Saturday March 21. The Brewers lost 8-9. On Wednesday March 25 the Brewers hosted Mount Saint Mary College, beating them 17-12. The Brewers travelled to Skidmore on Saturday March 27 and lost to the hosts 5-12. The Brewers will be travelling to Bard on Wednesday April 1 for their third Liberty League game.

Women’s Lacrosse

The women kicked off their season on Wednesday March 11 against Fairleigh Dickinson University – Florham Campus, losing to the visitors 6-12. The women travelled to Bradenton, Fl for the Spring Fling Lacrosse Tournament. They opened the tournament well on Sunday March 15, beating Keene State 16-10. They couldn’t keep the momentum up, unfortunately, and lost the following game to Stevenson University 7-9 on Tuesday March 17. However, they ended the tournament in the green, posting a convincing victory against Western Connecticut State on Wednesday March 18, breezing past the competition 20-12. The women returned to Vassar for their first two Liberty League games of the season. The Brewers hosted Union College on Friday March 27, losing to the visitors in a close game that ended 9-11 in overtime. The Brewers then hosted William Smith University the very next day, beating them 9-8. The women will play Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute away on Friday April 3.

Men’s Tennis

The men’s team travelled to Cambridge, MA on Friday March 6 to play Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The Brewers lost 3-6 to the hosts. The following day Saturday March 7 the men travelled to Babson College, once again posting a loss of 1-8. Over spring break the team travelled to California to play some West Coast Division III competitors. Their first match up was against nationally ranked Chapman University. The team was left with their heads in their hands after losing 1-8 to the hosts on Monday March 16. They fared better against California Lutheran University on Tuesday March 17, losing 3-6. They then travelled to Whittier College on Wednesday March 18. Obviously tired of losing, the Brewers rallied and won 7-2, breaking a four game losing streak. After a couple of days of rest, the Brewers then battled out their last tour game against George Fox University on Saturday March 21, obtaining a 6-3 victory. The men will play New York University away on Saturday April 11.

Women’s Tennis

The women opened up their season against Liberty League competitors Swarthmore College on Saturday March 7 at Swarthmore. The women lost the matchup 3-6. The women also travelled to California, opening up their tour against University of La Verne on Monday March 16, beating the hosts in a string-breaking match ending at 5-4. The following day, Tuesday March 17, the team travelled to Pomona-Pitzer. Pomona made short work of the Brewers, winning 1-8. With a day of rest, the women came out Thursday March 18, looking to make a statement at Whitman College, and beat them quite handily with a 6-3 score line. Their victory was short lived, however, as they travelled to Amherst College on Friday March 20. The hosts dispatched the Brewers winning 1-8. Travelling to Chapman University on Saturday March 21, the women ended their West Coast tour with a convincing 7-2 victory. The team will play on Friday April 3 at home against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Men’s Rugby

The Brewer’s travelled to Budapest, Hungary over spring break to play the Budapest Exiles, a team mostly made up of British, Irish and French expats. The results were slightly mixed. The Brewers took the field late on Thursday March 19 under floodlights to play the Exiles in sevens. After an exciting fourteen minutes, which saw the Exiles come back from a three tie deficit, the game ended in a tie. On Saturday March 21, both teams were looking to break the stalemate. It was a highly contested first half, which saw only one try find its way over the score line for the hosts, but the Brewers lost their control in the second half and the Exiles secured victory 31-19. The Brewers will be back at it on Saturday April 4 against New Paltz on the Farm.

Women’s Rugby

The Brewer women also travelled to Budapest to play the Exiles. They took part in the Sevens games on Thursday March 19, faring better than the men, winning their game 5-2 against an experienced team of British, Irish and French players. The women played first on Saturday March 21, taking to the field with a nice mix of experienced and rookie players. While Vassar did concede the first try, they quickly got it back and then some. By the end of the first half the Exiles trailed 36-5, and had seen little of the ball apart from their early try. The second half saw the Exiles rally and they were able to bring their score up to finish the game 20-48. The Vassar women will be back Saturday April 4 against New Paltz at the Farm.