VC women’s tennis commits sororicide at tournament

The women’s tennis team defeated Bryn Mawr College and No. 30 Wellesley College this past weekend on their way to their 12th Seven Sister Championship. The women only lost one match on the day. Photo By: Vassar Athletics
The women’s tennis team defeated Bryn Mawr College and No. 30 Wellesley College this past weekend
on their way to their 12th Seven Sister Championship. The women only lost one match on the day. Photo By: Vassar Athletics

Women’s Tennis

The Brewers competed in the Seven Sisters’ Championship this weekend. The games were split between Saturday, April 11 and Sunday, April 12. On Saturday the women took on Mount Holyoke College in the morning and Smith College in the afternoon. The team did not concede a single set the entire day, sweeping both teams in singles and doubles. In the double match ups the team only gave up four games in four sets. To say that VC was good would be the understatement of the week. Sunday brought what looked to be a repeat of the day before, with the Brewers opening against Bryn Mawr College once again winning in straight sets to take the game 5-0. In the final contest of the weekend the Brewers faced off against Wellesley, who had also gone unbeaten over the weekend, so it was a case of winner takes all. Vassar lost only one match, beating Wellesley 4-1. The Brewers take home their twelfth Seven Sister’s cup. The ladies will be back in action on Saturday, April 18 against MIT.

Men’s Tennis

The men travelled to New York to take on the New York University Violets on Saturday, April 11. The day did not go as well as they’d have liked, with sophomore Nick Litsky coming up with the lone victory in his singles match up. The Violets took each of the three doubles sets, 8-6, 8-1, 8-6. While in singles, despite Litsky’s win, no other Brewer could find their swing, and aside from one of the remaining five matches, the Violets took the single matches in straight sets. The Brewers will play Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at home on Saturday, April 18.

Women’s Lacrosse

The Brewers had two away games last week. On Friday, April 10 they travelled to Rochester Institute of Technology. They won on a goal scored in the final second of regulation time by freshman Storm Sideleau. The team was able to haul themselves back from a four-goal deficit acquired in the first half. Trading goals throughout the second period, the Brewers were able to take the lead in the final minute of play, winning 9-8. The next day, the Brewers travelled back to Rochester to face University of Rochester, it would prove the harder battle. The Brewers went into the second half down again, but only by two. However, with four goals scored by Rochester within the first seven minutes, things were looking bleak. The Brewers were able to halve the deficit to 8-4, but could never find their feet, ending the day in defeat 10-6. The women will return to play local rival SUNY New Paltz on Tuesday, April 14.

Men’s Lacrosse

The men also had two matches last week. The first was an away game at Drew University on Tuesday, April 7. The hosts scored first, but senior Scott Brekne soon answered back, bringing the game level. By the time half time rolled around, the Rangers were trailing 8-2. Despite Drew scoring the first goal of the half, they could not recover and the Brewers took the coach ride home reveling in a 15-6 victory. Unfortunately, the Brewers could not keep their momentum up in their Saturday game against Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester. After the first quarter the teams were looking pretty level, with the score at 2-2, but the Tigers turned up the heat in the second period, scoring seven goals before the Brewers were able to stop the streak, but the Tigers could not be held for long and the half ended 10-3. The second half saw two more goals from the Brewers, but the Tigers were relentless and the game ended 22-5. The coach ride home for the Brewers must have been in stark contrast to the one they had only days before. The Brewers will face Williams College on Wednesday, April 15 at Weinberg Field.

Women’s Track

Senior Heather Ingraham continued to impress at the Silfen Invitational on Friday, April 10. She ran the second fastest 800m in the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) and the third best in Division III athletics. Sophomore Laura MacDonald had a great day, running the 3000-meter steeplechase, coming sixth in the event, but setting a new personal best beating her last by 12 seconds. Senior Harper Cleves also posted a personal best time in the 1500 meter, one of four Brewers to take part in the event. The team returned Saturday, April 11. Sophomore Saparja Nag opened the day in the 100-meter sprint. Nag set a new personal best, running a 13.31. Sophomore Molly Crowell also ran well in the 200-meter event, just missing out on her own personal best. Ingraham came back to anchor the 4×400 meter, which missed the ECAC qualifying time by .04. The team will be running again on Saturday, April 18 at the Liberty League Championships.

Men’s Track

Junior Taylor Vann had an outstanding day at the Silfen Invitational on Friday, April 10. Vann was competing in the decathlon and won the first event, coming in with an 11.54 in the 100-meter. Vann finished the first half of the decathlon in first place. Vann went into the second day looking to keep this up, and he did. Vann finished the day with a career high of 6024 points, and first in the ECAC. Freshman Joel Johnson posted his personal best in the 200-meter, with a time of 23.14. The team will be running in the Liberty League Championships on Saturday, April 18.

Men’s Baseball

The team went up against Rochester Institute of Technology on Saturday, April 11 and Sunday, April 12. Although the first day saw an even match up, with the Brewers dropping the first game 2-4, they came back in the second to win 6-5. Sunday didn’t go so well the Brewer’s just couldn’t hit it, and they lost 2-11 and 1-15. Their next game will be at home against University of Rochester on Saturday, April 18.