Game changer! Registrar adds new Fall 2015 courses

To all Students:

The Course Catalog has recently been modified to reflect the late introduction of several new classes being taught in the 2015/2016 Academic Year. While you can already see the up-to-date Schedule of Classes on the Ask Banner site, I have asked the staff of the Miscellany News to please include the following additions before the end of Fall 2015 Pre-Registration Phase 1 on Friday, April 24. Feel free to contact our office (registrar@vassar.edu) with any questions, and good luck to you in the upcoming term.

Sincerely,

Colleen R. Mallet

Registrar and Veteran Adviser/Certifying Official

URBS 233

1 unit(s)

Queering the Poughkeepsie Galleria

Drawing from the scholarship of Eve Sedgwick, Judith Butler, José Esteban Muñoz and Mabel Comtois-Gergel, we explore the Poughkeepsie Galleria as a space for queer temporality and radical (trans)gression. All students are required to conduct field research at Aéropostale and the Payless ShoeSource.

Geography 347

1 unit(s)

Boise

It’s the capital of Idaho. One 3-hour period.

MEDS 368

1 unit(s)

Motion, Action and Dual Programmable Controls

Using a multi-disciplinary lens, we study the cardboard box to a rice cooker I found four years ago in the dumpster behind Taylor. The course will seek to complicate the analysis of “easy” cooking. All students are required to purchase an Aroma 6-Cup (Cooked) Pot Rice Cooker and Food Steamer, Red™. Two 75-minute class periods and one 3-hour film screening per week.

ENGL 339

1 unit(s)

Stable or Papal?

An intensive study of mid-seventeenth century pedagogical dialogues on determining whether or not your horse is a secret Catholic.

That class you need for your major.

1 unit(s)

If you don’t take this class your life is ruined. No internship or job. This is your only chance! It isn’t offered any other semester. TR 10:30-11:45

That other class you need for your major.

1 unit(s)

O.M.G.! This is what you’ve been interested in for your entire life. Sign up now! TR 10:30-11:45

ENGL 276

1 unit(s)

Queering Oscar Wilde

An examination into the possible queer subtexts concealed in the works of the nineteenth-century Irish writer Oscar Wilde, devoted husband and father of two. Readings include “The Picture of Dorian Gray,” a novella about a young man who, at the cost of moral ruin, attains immortal beauty so he can spend more time hanging out with his other straight guy friends and talking about the theater.

MEDS 116

1 unit(s)

Vampires and Zombies!

This class seeks to answer the question: will putting supernatural creatures in the title increase student registration?

AFST 254

1 unit(s)

The Intractability of Race

400 years of oppression and struggle will finally be laid to rest with a story from your white peer about his semester abroad in Prague.

ART 276

Junk

1 unit(s)

Which classical statuary has the best, hottest, weirdest junk? No fig leaf will be left unturned as we scour all of antiquity for the answer.

Life Skills

1 unit(s)

(Not offered in 2015/2016 academic year)