Women’s Lacrosse jukes past Liberty League rivals Bard

Junior attacker Isabelle Goldstein looks for an assist in the Brewer’s victory over Bard College on Saturday April 18. The Brewers also defeated SUNY New Paltz by a score of 12-8 last Tuesday. Photo By: Vassar Athletics
Junior attacker Isabelle Goldstein looks for an assist in the Brewer’s victory over Bard College on Saturday April 18. The Brewers also defeated SUNY New Paltz by a score of 12-8 last Tuesday. Photo By: Vassar Athletics

Women’s Track

The women produced a stellar performance on Saturday, April 18, racing at the Liberty League Championships. The day saw yet another fantastic showing from senior Heather Ingraham, who scored 38 of the Brewers’ 76 points and was named Track Performer of the Meet. Ingraham was not the only Brewer to shine, however, as sophomore Jemma Howlett placed third in the 10,000m event. It was a great day for senior Cassidy Carpenter, who ran in two distance races, placing third in the 1500m and second in the 5000m. In the 1500m, Carpenter came away with more than a bronze; she also scored a personal best of 4:49.27. In the 5000m, she was also able to set a personal best of 18:22.22. The Brewers will be back in action in the 4x400m at the Penn Relays on Thursday, April 23, and on Sunday, April 26 at the Yale Invitational.

Men’s Track

The men were able to match their female counterparts on Saturday at the Liberty League Championships with an equally impressive array of achievements. In the 100m sprint, junior Morrie Lam and freshman Joel Johnson picked up first and second place respectively, and earned All-Liberty League honors. Senior Andrew Terenzi was able to earn the 800m laurel for the second time in his career, as well as a personal best in the event. In his debut performance in the 3000m steeplechase, freshman Noah Trueblood earned an impressive second place and broke the 10-minute barrier. In the 400m, junior Dylan Manning broke the 50 second barrier for the first time. The men will hope to retain their momentum as they head into the Penn Relays on Thursday and the Yale Invitational this Sunday.

Women’s Lacrosse

The women competed in two games last week. On Tuesday, April 14, they travelled across the river to local rivals SUNY New Paltz. Junior Isabelle Moore scored four goals and recorded four assists in a game that saw the Brewers come out of a tough 8-8 tie with four unanswered goals to break the deadlock and secure a victory of 12-8. Up until the final quarter there was nothing between these teams, as the Hawks went toe-to-toe with every goal the Brewers scored, but as the clock ticked down in the fourth, the floodgates opened and the Hawks couldn’t stem the flow. Looking to carry their momentum forward, the Brewers hosted Bard on Saturday, April 18. It was all Vassar that day. After going up 2-0, Bard was able to get one in, but before the half was over the women had added another five goals to their lead. There was nothing Bard could do, and although they were able to the find the net twice in the second half it wasn’t nearly enough, and the Brewers walked away with a 12-3 victory. The ladies will be back on Friday, April 24, when they will host St. Lawrence University.

Men’s Lacrosse

It was a tough week for the men as they hosted two matches against Williams College on Wednesday, April 15 and Union College on Saturday, April 18, losing the first 11-17 and the second 5-12 respectively. Despite their lead against Williams heading into the second half, the Brewers couldn’t keep their heads up and Williams was able to secure 12 goals in the second half, while Vassar could only get five. Union came flying out of the posts on Saturday, scoring an outstanding nine unanswered goals in the first half. Although the Brewers found some life in the second half, managing to score 5, it wasn’t enough, and the Brewers go 1-5 in Liberty League play. They will be playing at Clarkson University on Saturday, April 25.

Women’s Tennis

The women had two matchups last weekend. On Saturday, April 18 they travelled to Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It was a tough day for the Brewers, as they were only able to secure one win out of the nine matches. Freshmen Kate Christensen and Morgan Fitzgerald were able to top the Engineers no.3 pair 8-6 in the team’s 1-8 loss. Sunday’s match saw the Brewers intent on making a statement, and they did just that. The team hosted Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) and swept the Tigers away in a 9-0 victory. Seniors Samantha Schapiro and Ava Sadeghi made quick work of the Tigers no.1 doubles, winning the set 8-0. And that set the precedent for the day, with the Brewers collectively only dropping one set. The women will be back in action on Saturday, April 25, when they will host St. Lawrence University.

Men’s Tennis

The men also played over the weekend. Hosting Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Saturday, it was a frustrating day as the Brewers narrowly lost in a 4-5 nail-biter. The Engineers took an early lead in the doubles matches, winning the no.3 and 2 matches, but the Brewers were able to secure the no.1 match. RPI took the win in the first three singles matches, and although VC was able to take the remaining three, the day went in favor of the visitors. The men hosted RIT on Sunday and matched the women’s sweep with one of their own. The men will be playing again against St. Lawrence University on Saturday, April 25.

Men’s Baseball

The Brewers hosted the University of Rochester over the weekend in two double headers. In the first game Vassar couldn’t get on the board, and the Yellowjackets took the win comfortably 6-0. The second game was a different story, with three runs in the second inning, the Yellowjackets were sitting pretty, and the Brewers, despite some nice hitting from junior Nick Johnson and senior Kyle Casey, allowed the Yellowjackets the sweep in the first day. On Sunday the Brewers took the first game into an eighth inning, unfortunately conceding a run for the loss. In the second game, they instantly got on the board with three runs in the first innings. The Brewers took the next two runs as well, garnering two in the fourth inning. Rochester finally answered back in the fifth with two of their own, but it was too little too late and the Brewers took the final game. The Brewers will host Bard on Saturday, April 25 and then travel there on Sunday, April 26.